most important club to your county

Started by thejuice, November 17, 2012, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Here's something to row about to shorten the winter.

Over your counties history, which club has contributed to your counties successes and also influences how the county team in how they play. I know in Armagh the easy answer is Crossmaglen.

In Meath I would say it's a toss up between Skryne and Senchalstown though it really depends on the era we are discussing.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Whoever lets the County teams train on their pitch  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trileacman

Simple for Tyrone, without a shadow of a doubt, Glencull.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ross4life

The old Tarmon club now part of Castlerea St Kevins played a huge part in our All Ireland wins in the 40s. When we won four in row Connacht titles,Div 1 league title, U21 All Ireland & reached our last senior All Ireland final (77 to 1980) Clan naGael,Ros Gaels success at club level contributed greatly. Nowadays its St Brigids but if you have a successful club team i think the current club fixture schedule can become a hindrance to the county team.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

In Galway probably either Tuam Stars (most county titles, club of the terrible twins, etc) or Dunmore McHales (club of the Donnellan clan).

Farrandeelin

Mayo would probably be the big town clubs of Ballina Stephenites and Castlebar Mitchels. (36 and 27 county titles respectively)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

catchandkick

Interesting question.

There used to be a phrase in Kerry back in the thirties and forties and fifty which said 'West Kerry backs, townie forwards' which meant that the Kerry team would be made up of West Kerry backs who would have been perceived as tough and hardy ( Tomas O'Se is from west Kerry, point proven!) and that the forwards would have been from town teams and that would have meant Killarney or Tralee.

Because there are so many small rural clubs in Kerry ( of the 60 or so teams in the county league, about 50 are rural, if you would count the likes of Stacks, Mitchels, Na Gaeil, Rahilly's, Legion, Crokes, Kenmare, Listowel, Laune Rangers, St.Mary's, Dingle and Castleisland as the town clubs)

I think it is one of the positive aspects of Kerry football that the Kerry minor team is, by and large, Kerry's best team and that a guy from a tiny club like Templenoe ( the club of the Spillane's) has as much chance of representing Kerry as the guy from a big club like Stacks or Crokes. And that feeds through to senior level and no club has really dominated a Kerry team at any point. ( Dromid Pearses, club of Declan O'Sullivan and Jack O'Connor is a tiny parish, with no real village at all.)

Down the years,certain teams have had big representations from time to time but the Golden Years team was an exercise in democracy, with nearly every sector in the county represented ( If you look at the 1975 team and where they were from it shows the spread ( East Kerry, Tralee, Tralee, North Kerry, West Kerry, North Kerry, Tralee, Mid Kerry, North Kerry, Mid Kerry, North Kerry, South Kerry, Tralee, North Kerry, South Kerry)) . Very even.

Anyhow, very democratic compared with Cork where a guy from a small junior club in west Cork is hugely up against it compared with the guy from Nemo Rangers.

Milltown Row2

Antrim- Cargin and Naomh Gall. Would have been mainly city teams back in the day but the SW clubs have bucked the trend recently
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2012, 07:42:05 PM
Antrim- Cargin and Naomh Gall. Would have been mainly city teams back in the day but the SW clubs have bucked the trend recently
Hurling - a lot of teams could argue their case but I would reckon Cushendall players have been most influential in last 25 years or so.

CorkMan

Quote from: catchandkick on November 17, 2012, 06:49:22 PM
Anyhow, very democratic compared with Cork where a guy from a small junior club in west Cork is hugely up against it compared with the guy from Nemo Rangers.

Actually, in Cork a good share of our players play junior and internediate football.
Alan Quirke, Ray Carey, Eoin Cadogan, Paudie Kissane, Graham Canty, Alan O'Connor, Aidan Walsh, Ciaran Sheehan, Daniel Goulding, Donncha O'Connor and Colm O'Neill all play for intermediate or junior teams, that's 11 of our starting 15.

boojangles

Cornafean back in the 30s and 40's supplied a list of great players and legends to All- Ireland winning Cavan teams while at the same time dominating club football. Cornafean lead the way with 20 Senior titles. The last one in 1956. Sadly the Reds have been stuck at Junior level for too long now.
Cavan Gaels since formation have been the most successful club team in Cavan, dominating over the past 14 years especially. They hold 12 Senior titles. They have supplied some outstanding footballers to Cavan teams down through the years also.
Cavan Slashers before the Gaels, were the dominant club team in Cavan in the early part of the century winning 10 Senior titles.
Mullahoran ,as is the character of the club, have nearly always been there or there abouts and have also supplied Cavan teams with legends on All-Ireland winning teams. 90% of successful Cavan teams down through the years would have had at least one Mullahoran man on them. They sit in joint second with Cavan Gaels with 12 Senior titles. 
Crosserlough produced arguably the greatest club team Cavan has ever seen with the famous Seven in-a Row team from 1966 to 1972. They hold 9 Senior ttiles.
Kingscourt, with 10 titles and Gowna with 7, during the 80's, 90's and 00's supplied some of the finest and toughest players Cavan has produced in a long time while also dominating club football for certain periods.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 17, 2012, 06:41:41 PM
Mayo would probably be the big town clubs of Ballina Stephenites and Castlebar Mitchels. (36 and 27 county titles respectively)

Though it must be noted how much of a sleeping giant Castlebar are in this respect.
They haven't won a title in 20 years, their longest drought since 1903-1930.

Here's hoping we can return to the glory days of 95-07 where the North Mayo trinity of Crossmolina (6), Ballina (4) & Knockmore (2) won 12 out of 13 between them.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Syferus

Naaah, we're in the glory days when another county has won your championship two times in the last five seasons and made your two-time reigning champions look like day release patients from a nursing home.

Without their best player.

Ros Gaels are the most important club here simply by virtue of the fact they 'own' the Hyde.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 17, 2012, 04:55:30 PM
TOURLESTRANE
I think its impossible to name 1, Curry, Tourlestrane are the kings of South Sligo, Coolera/Strandhill prob North (mid 2000s Sligo had 4/5 starters from them), St Marys are coming good underage but the mentally not as strong as country folk so hard to know if any of success will filter thorugh for Sligo, or even there own seniors. Eastern Harps are in serious decline and were carried by Paul Taylor so i dont expect much from them for the next few yrs. So its toss up between Curry and Tourlestrane for me.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"