Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

A quote from Kevin Myers in the Indo a while back:

"I hate to criticise a multinational, because generally speaking I am a great fan of multinationals (they being the basis of our present prosperity) but I have to say that Shell has been scandalously remiss in not employing someone to bump off a few of these fellows."

He nearly got his wish today:

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/aug2008/img_0345.jpg

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the protestors, this is crazy stuff - even more so when you consider that the machine in question is part of a huge excavation boat that is digging a trench to bury the pipe with the sand being placed into the boat and stored further out at sea until the pipe is laid.
I visited the area for the first time about 2 weeks ago - both sides of the Bay. I dare anyone who is happy to see Shell proceed to visit the area and not ask themselves a few question as to what the hell is going on there.
Shell to Sea website always an interesting read .... http://www.corribsos.com/

Zapatista

Quote from: blast05 on August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

"I hate to criticise a multinational, because generally speaking I am a great fan of multinationals (they being the basis of our present prosperity) but I have to say that Shell has been scandalously remiss in not employing someone to bump off a few of these fellows."

Kevin Myers is an evil SOAB!!! He knows to well Shell have a history of executing those who protest against their 'progress'.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1295/is_n1_v60/ai_17963624

Myers should be locked up for saying that.

muppet

Those pipes are being laid still without planning permission.

One law for us, one law for a foreign multinational to whom we give away our only natural resourse for apparently nothing.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Unfortuneately we were sold down the river 20 years ago when Ray Burke I think said to Shell et al, go on, explore and if you find anything, take it all and at least give us a few jobs.  30 to 40 maybe.

I know then we didn't have the money or expertise to go searching but we should have at least said the Irish government should receive some of the bounty.

Kevin Myers :(  At least when he wrote for the Irish Times he didn't have the same readership.

Have the Shell to Sea people finally figured out what they want?  I'll have a look at their website.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on August 22, 2008, 09:13:34 AM
Quote from: blast05 on August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Kevin Myers is an evil SOAB!!! He knows to well Shell have a history of executing those who protest against their 'progress'.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1295/is_n1_v60/ai_17963624

Myers should be locked up for saying that.

SOAB ??

Zapatista

Son of a bitch.

When the Irish Independant called for the swift execution of the 1916 leaders they were granted their wish. Perhaps Myers will get his through the Independant now too.

magpie seanie

This is a continuing disgrace and evidence of our loss of sovereignty as a nation. We are neutered.

orangeman

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 22, 2008, 11:32:45 AM
This is a continuing disgrace and evidence of our loss of sovereignty as a nation. We are neutered.

Why have Shell got us by the bollox ?

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 11:37:11 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 22, 2008, 11:32:45 AM

Why have Shell got us by the bollox ?

Ray Burke sold them our Natural resources in the FF tent at the Galway races for a few magic beans. Bertie has been up every beanstalk in north Dublin looking for him though.

Tis how it is going. It won't matter if Ireland is ever united as it will never be owned by the Irish people. Our water, gas, trees homes etc will all be owned by foreign multinationals and share holders. Connolly was right in what he said about removing the flag. Perhaps that's why the Independant had him executed.

Hound

Nice to see Zaptista condemning executions  :-*

I don't know the ins and outs of Corrib but as for the "selling our soul" stuff, I happened to see one contract a MNC had with the government in relation to exploiting a gas field in Ireland. Now I've no idea if it was the standard type of thing the govt enter into or a one-off, but I'd guess they largely stick with the same formula. As part of the agreement the company is to pay an annual royalty to the govt, and together with normal corporation tax, it would bring the company's effective tax rate to 40% (bear in mind most trading companies in Ireland pay 12.5%). Given its the company (and not the taxpayer) who has to plough in the millions to extract anything and the company (not the taxpayer) who takes the risk, I think its a fair deal for everyone.

ludermor

Hound ,
the main issue i have with the whole operation and the main thing i would object to is the fact that the government gave Shell the right to CPO some land. This had never been done before or since to a private company.

Zapatista

Quote from: Hound on August 22, 2008, 01:15:10 PM

Am I being Ironic or hypocritical Hound?  ;)

muppet

Quote from: Hound on August 22, 2008, 01:15:10 PM

I don't know the ins and outs of Corrib but as for the "selling our soul" stuff, I happened to see one contract a MNC had with the government in relation to exploiting a gas field in Ireland. Now I've no idea if it was the standard type of thing the govt enter into or a one-off, but I'd guess they largely stick with the same formula. As part of the agreement the company is to pay an annual royalty to the govt, and together with normal corporation tax, it would bring the company's effective tax rate to 40% (bear in mind most trading companies in Ireland pay 12.5%). Given its the company (and not the taxpayer) who has to plough in the millions to extract anything and the company (not the taxpayer) who takes the risk, I think its a fair deal for everyone.

Not only will Shell pay no roylaties on the Corrib field but in 2006 (in fairness to Ray Burke in the 1980s 50 jobs would have been worth it) Noel Dempsey signed two new deals identical to the 1980s deals for gasfields off Sligo and Donegal.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction if they try to build a refinery at the foot of Benbulben........without f**king planning permission.

Shell started the onshore pipeline, the refinery and the offshore pipeline all without planning permission. Only uber citizens such as Michael McDowell can blatently ignore the planning laws. 
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

blast05

I see Maire Harrington is on day 3 of her hunger strike - saying she will continue until such time as the pipe laying vessel the Solitaire leaves Irish territorial waters (in Killybegs at the moment). She may come accross as a bit of a crack pot in some regards but she has to be admired for standing up for what is a real cause, despite the fact that the whole case of the Shell to Sea campaign is being made more difficult by the influx of the rent a mob hippies and the shockingly biased coverage in the media where not one peice of real investigaive journalism has been carried out on the whole project.