A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: T Fearon on January 07, 2017, 09:12:09 PM
Your appreciation of diversity is astounding.Describing unionists as nut jobs merely confirms their prejudices.In fairness it is probably the predominant view of unionists by the people in the South

You obviously can't read either,Kindly point out where I labelled all unionists as nutjobs. I labelled the DUP/Evangelical brigade within the Unionist community as nutjobs. Most reasonable people  would agree with me on that. You have alot in common with those bigots, with your prejudicial views. You have little in common with the vast majority of people from both communities in the north.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2017, 06:24:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 07, 2017, 06:19:26 PM
The way of life,culture values of the North are substantially different to that of the UK and the 26 counties,leaving aside all economic arguments.We are more religious,more conservative,more community orientated,more plain speaking.
But people in the North like things like holidays and wine that sterling won't be able to buy the way things are going
British money bought off the dissenters after 1798 so it would be ironic if Brexit brought them back into the Republican fold and back to the flag.

And people in the south prefer water and staying in, as they can't afford anything else
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Saw the other day the unemployment rate in the south is at a pre 2008 crash low
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown

And people in the south prefer water and staying in, as they can't afford anything else
/quote]
Tell that to the thousands  packed into the €6 or €7 a pint pubs in Dublin......
Or do you mean Cork and Kerry - ya know - the south
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2017, 09:56:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown

/quote]
Tell that to the thousands  packed into the €6 or €7 a pint pubs in Dublin......
Or do you mean Cork and Kerry - ya know - the south

All tourists
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2017, 09:23:05 PM
Quote from: michaelg on January 07, 2017, 07:33:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2017, 06:25:55 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 07, 2017, 05:47:48 PM
The unionist siege mentality is based on fear and insecurity.They do know deep down however that Britain doesn't want them and if only nationalists could understand Dublin doesn't want them,then we all can begin to realise no one else wants us and begin to come together in the North and find commonality in our culture and way of life which is substantially different to that in the UK and 26 counties.

There is no common culture though. Unionist fear and insecurity, and all that.
Do you not think that Unionists actually prefer the status quo (i.e. Remaining within the UK)?  Bit of a cliche to say that Unionist opposition to a UI is all about fear and insecurity.

I was merely recycling those words from another post.

Yes, they do prefer the quo. Understandably so, for them. But Britain created the Protestant mindset in this place.
How does that explain a significant proportion of folk from the catholic / nationalist population being happy with the status quo too?

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2017, 09:32:03 PM
The way of life,culture values of the North are substantially different to that of the UK and the 26 counties,leaving aside all economic arguments.We are more religious,more conservative,more community orientated,more plain speaking.
But people in the North like things like holidays and wine that sterling won't be able to buy the way things are going
British money bought off the dissenters after 1798 so it would be ironic if Brexit brought them back into the Republican fold and back to the flag.

Lots of people in the North prefer a glass of wine at home to the pub...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

At the end of the day,this is quite probably the only place in Ireland today,where a United Ireland is being discussed!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 08, 2017, 07:28:02 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2017, 09:32:03 PM

Lots of people in the North prefer a glass of wine at home to the pub...

Source??

Rossfan

Quote from: michaelg on January 08, 2017, 02:03:12 AM
The unionist siege mentality is based on fear and insecurity.They do know deep down however that Britain doesn't want them and if only nationalists could understand Dublin doesn't want them,then we all can begin to realise no one else wants us and begin to come together in the North and find commonality in our culture and way of life which is substantially different to that in the UK and 26 counties.

Do you not think that Unionists actually prefer the status quo (i.e. Remaining within the UK)?  Bit of a cliche to say that Unionist opposition to a UI is all about fear and insecurity.

Yes, they do prefer the quo. Understandably so, for them. But Britain created the Protestant mindset in this place.
How does that explain a significant proportion of folk from the catholic / nationalist population being happy with the status quo too?
Are they really happy or just content that they can now live lives free from discrimination, can get fair play in public jobs and housing etc.
I'm sure a lot over them aren't too happy about public funds being liberally doled out to Orange hatefest illegal bonfires while small grants to Irish language students are cut by a bigoted DUP minister .
Maybe a lot are just waiting for demographics to kick in and of course the old old reason - if most people are doing alright for themselves what's the fuss?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

The question is about how support for the status quo will look if there is a hard Brexit and GDP falls by 5% with sterling falling another 10%. Marmite will disappear.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2017, 09:58:42 AM

Are they really happy or just content that they can now live lives free from discrimination, can get fair play in public jobs and housing etc.
I'm sure a lot over them aren't too happy about public funds being liberally doled out to Orange hatefest illegal bonfires while small grants to Irish language students are cut by a bigoted DUP minister .
Maybe a lot are just waiting for demographics to kick in and of course the old old reason - if most people are doing alright for themselves what's the fuss?

That's it.

Was the average catholic happy with the status quo in the 60s and 70s, when faced with internment, collusion, constant harrassment from b specials/udr, facing house/car searches, and generally living in fear of their lives everyday? That's not even mentioning the deliberate discrimination in jobs, housing, education, public funding etc. Being part of a United Mongolia, most would have taken then rather than remaining in the uk.

Now that's it's relatively peaceful, and things improved, people put themselves and their families ahead of a UI. Nothing wrong with looking after yourself.

Minder

Quote from: BennyCake on January 08, 2017, 11:01:34 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2017, 09:58:42 AM

That's it.

Was the average catholic happy with the status quo in the 60s and 70s, when faced with internment, collusion, constant harrassment from b specials/udr, facing house/car searches, and generally living in fear of their lives everyday? That's not even mentioning the deliberate discrimination in jobs, housing, education, public funding etc. Being part of a United Mongolia, most would have taken then rather than remaining in the uk.

Now that's it's relatively peaceful, and things improved, people put themselves and their families ahead of a UI. Nothing wrong with looking after yourself.

Yeah that is exactly my view on it and why I don't see it happening any time soon
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Franko

This is the trick that unionist politicians are missing (and have always missed). Faced with a changing demographic, the single best way for unionists to preserve the union is to placate the nationalist and potentially nationalist voters.  Keep them happy with their lot and there will NEVER be a UI. Moves like that bigot Givan made the other day are a sure fire way of doing the opposite.  Which makes you wonder... do unionists actually want to preserve the union or do they just want the power??

T Fearon

Seafoid even in Portadown my.parents were never once out of work and they both would have started in the 1940s.My father was the sole Catholic employee in the company.The alternative a UI would probably have led to emigration to England to find work as was the lot of so many in the South.