Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

Quote from: Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack on January 06, 2019, 05:46:08 PM
I have to say I like Brolly's ideas

- no pass back into your own half
- Goalkeeper cannot be used in open play
- the idea of an exclusion zone ( very difficult to implement at club level)
- kickouts past the 45metre  line

Worth a trial in my view
I have to say, I love your username.

Not really

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on January 06, 2019, 06:11:45 PM
So when did a penalty shoot out get added to the rules? I thoight it free taking competition?
Ye Cyaavan bucks need to keep up to date😉
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

themac_23

surely these rules will get canned before the league, no way can they plough on with them

trailer

People need to see sense and abandon this shit show that are these new rules. Brought in to appease the out of touch yesterday men on RTÉ. The GAA should not be bowing down to the media elites and their anti football agenda.

Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack

Quote from: themac_23 on January 06, 2019, 07:28:17 PM
surely these rules will get canned before the league, no way can they plough on with them

It' too easy for the naysayers to shoot down every proposal then so

The current state of the game has seriously reduced attendances .

Crap teams put 13 men behind the ball . Win  a few games and then call themselves football teams. Of course they don't want to change.

Some of the players on these teams might have to try to kick the ball sometime

These may not be the answer but at least it's a start to moving towards some rules that actually improve the game

there is no point in using the opinion of current intercounty managers to change the game .... that's just hilarious.

Itchy

I'd look to tweak hand pass rule, only applies inside your own half. Side line make no difference, in or out. The offensive Mark I'd leave in.

Too many of these so called coaches whinging as their robotic training is under threat. Football is in a mess and action is needed.

JoG2

Quote from: Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack on January 06, 2019, 07:48:33 PM

Crap teams put 13 men behind the ball . Win  a few games and then call themselves football teams. Of course they don't want to change.

These may not be the answer but at least it's a start to moving towards some rules that actually improve the game

there is no point in using the opinion of current intercounty managers to change the game .... that's just hilarious.

Have you figures handy?

LeoMc

Worth a trial in my view
No 1 could work, it would be worth a trial.
No 2 similar but it would eliminate the Rory Beggans of the world going forward to support the attack as they could not receive a return pass.
No 3 could not work at club level and I am not sure it would work at any level. If a defender slips or pulls a hamstring does his man get a free run at goal?
No 4 Joe proposed before and after a bit of fanfare and a challenge game in Monaghan quietly dropped it. Allowing only 4 men between the 45s will not lead to 1960s style high fielding contests. It will lead to keepers chipping the ball out into the chest of running mid-fielders. No 50:50 contests just guaranteed possession for the kicking team.

blewuporstuffed

Which of the new rules actually improve the game?

You are happy enough to follow the opinion of TV pundits to change the playing rules , but not that of managers involved in the game??
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Itchy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 07, 2019, 10:29:59 AM

You are happy enough to follow the opinion of TV pundits to change the playing rules , but not that of managers involved in the game??

You don't think many managers have a vested interest in resisting change? Harte for example has opposed every single rule change for years. How to you account for this? Also, which TV pundits were on the rule change committee? On Brollys last article he claimed one of the people on the committee told him that his ideas would have been better coming from someone other than Joe himself, is that then not the opposite of what you are saying.

Bonner is crying about them as his game plan is to sit deep and break at high speed and restricting hand passes curtails him doing this - thats good! I contend a lot of this complaining is fear of the unknown and maybe an insecurity of their own abilities as coaches to be innovative to the new rules. I am not saying the rules are perfect, I see a few flaws in them already myself but I work of the principle of change and then adjust instead of talking and talking and talking about what should and could be done because you know what you will never get agreement from Mickey Harte and Poacher and all these "gurus" to any change.

People need to relax and give it a bloody chance.

DuffleKing

Okay, one step at a time I guess... explain how the handpass rule discourages Donegal from "sitting deep"?

themac_23

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 07, 2019, 10:46:54 AM

Okay, one step at a time I guess... explain how the handpass rule discourages Donegal from "sitting deep"?

Exactly, it doesn't, it actively encourages it, as you know if you mark the space that at some stage they're gonna have to kick the ball therefore giving a chance for an interception. Surely that's quite obvious, the hand pass rule 100% favours the defending team.

Was listening to talk sport this morning and big Sam was on and he made a good point regards soccer at the minute, he said everyone thinks there's only one way to play and that's the Man City Liverpool way.he said it was dangerous in that you need to play to your strengths, the problem with Gaelic football is that everyone took the Jim mcguiness Donegal model which took at the time an unfancied team to all Ireland. I think it takes different styles, like soccer it'll go full circle, we can't just change rules because we want football played a certain way, managers will always set their game plan to utilise their players to the rules

tippabu

Quote from: LeoMc on January 07, 2019, 08:43:41 AM

Worth a trial in my view
No 1 could work, it would be worth a trial.
No 2 similar but it would eliminate the Rory Beggans of the world going forward to support the attack as they could not receive a return pass.
No 3 could not work at club level and I am not sure it would work at any level. If a defender slips or pulls a hamstring does his man get a free run at goal?
No 4 Joe proposed before and after a bit of fanfare and a challenge game in Monaghan quietly dropped it. Allowing only 4 men between the 45s will not lead to 1960s style high fielding contests. It will lead to keepers chipping the ball out into the chest of running mid-fielders. No 50:50 contests just guaranteed possession for the kicking team.

The kicking past the 45 what's not in place now or a different variation?

I honestly don't see any problem with the keeper getting a ball in open play...look at the laois keeper last year and how many touches in open play do keepers actually have, I never saw it as a negative tactic, just a safe one.

The no backwards passing in your own half, please no....too Many marginal call on sideways passes to be made and i don't see possession in your own half as a problem, teams don't mess around with the ball in their own half, they try work space and try create an opportunity to get up the pitch... it's when you cross the halfway line and meet the blanket defence it gets bad to watch.

Exclusion zone, not sure what this entails but I don't like restrictions being put on players

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 07, 2019, 10:46:54 AM

Exactly
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2019, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 07, 2019, 10:29:59 AM

You don't think many managers have a vested interest in resisting change? Harte for example has opposed every single rule change for years. How to you account for this? Also, which TV pundits were on the rule change committee? On Brollys last article he claimed one of the people on the committee told him that his ideas would have been better coming from someone other than Joe himself, is that then not the opposite of what you are saying.

Bonner is crying about them as his game plan is to sit deep and break at high speed and restricting hand passes curtails him doing this - thats good! I contend a lot of this complaining is fear of the unknown and maybe an insecurity of their own abilities as coaches to be innovative to the new rules. I am not saying the rules are perfect, I see a few flaws in them already myself but I work of the principle of change and then adjust instead of talking and talking and talking about what should and could be done because you know what you will never get agreement from Mickey Harte and Poacher and all these "gurus" to any change.

People need to relax and give it a bloody chance.

If you think that players and managers that are currently involved in the game shouldnt be consulted on rule changes , then i really don't know  :-[

It was glaringly obvious from the start that the restricted handpass rule was never going to work and cause more issues than it solves.