The Story Behind Your Username

Started by ONeill, March 11, 2017, 11:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

A description for some area of Longford in the Chronicles of St. Alun from the 7th Century - rough translation from Latin:

"And we set forth from the seat of Mel of Ardagh, to the Shamrock Shore of the great river, all in the glory of God"

Rossfan

Jases Sham that's very historical altogether  ;D
My user name doesn't require much explanation  :)

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 12, 2017, 11:28:12 PM
A description for some area of Longford in the Chronicles of St. Alun from the 7th Century - rough translation from Latin:

"And we set forth from the seat of Mel of Ardagh, to the Shamrock Shore of the great river, all in the glory of God"
You live and learn. I just thought you picked the name because you're a Horslips fan. I wasn't aware of the deeper meaning.
Careful now

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 12, 2017, 11:37:21 PM

You live and learn. I just thought you picked the name because you're a Horslips fan. I wasn't aware of the deeper meaning.

Oh yeah! Maybe I dreamt that other nonsense!

Windmill abu

Excellent choice of username and well researched.

With knowledge like yours we should be "happy to meet sorry to part. "

Never underestimate the power of complaining

Lar Naparka

This topic is a hardy perennial; it pops up every once in a while. Anyway, my username goes back to the mid-70s when Railway Cup games were big news and the broadcasts were in Irish. I was sitting in my local one Paddy's Day and there were very few punters in the place. There was an American GI sitting beside me; mean looking hoor with the regulatory crew cut and mean disposition.
He just sat there getting steadily pissed and saying nothing to anyone around him. The few of us who were there just spoke in whispers and the atmosphere was quite tense.  Finally, the game was over and he stood up to leave. He hadn't spoken to anyone, not even the barman, for an hour and a half. He just grunted and held out his glass whenever he wanted a refill.
He turned around and spoke for the first time as he pulled the door open. "I don't understand that game and I don't speak that lingo but I'll tell you one thing."
Dead silence all around...
"That Lar Naparka is one helluva player."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Puckoon

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 12, 2017, 11:37:21 PM

I always thought yours was Horslips related also.

Sidebar: managed to find 4 Horslips albums still in their plastic on vinyl over here last month.

The Gs Man

I'm named after a 17th Century Russian poet.
Keep 'er lit

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2017, 07:45:28 AM
Seafóid is an Irish  word used a lot in Galway. There were no fadas online whenever I started using it.
Much sports analysis is seafóid.
I thought it was for all the shite you post!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on March 13, 2017, 09:17:34 AM
Laurel was taken.
Was there not a fiddler somewhere in the story ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggysego

I am named after the hybrid computer on Quantum Leap called Ziggy, who has the ego of Barbra Streisand, bench ZiggysEgo.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2017, 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 13, 2017, 09:17:34 AM
Laurel was taken.
Was there not a fiddler somewhere in the story ?

I'm just embracing the post-truth philosophy.

illdecide

When i was younger i used to think i decided on most things (didn't really though, was just full of sh1t)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Dire Ear

Sounds like diarrhoea,  which a few regularly post !!   :-X