Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

A couple of years back(?), BBC 6 counties [sic] screened a series of personal profiles featuring well known people from NI, scripted basically by the people themselves, where they were given a camera crew to follow them whilst they explored their roots, formative influences, childhood experiences etc.

One of those featured was Gerry Armstrong. Iirc, he is actually from Beechmount, but he spent most of his childhood at his Aunt? Granny? who lived on the Falls, which was where the programme was mostly set.

Anyhow, they covered his school, GAA club, teachers, priests etc and he told a few yarns about local characters, prominent people etc, as he toured the district. Of course, it will have been edited to suit; nonetheless, there was no sign whatever that anyone was in the least bit unwelcoming, and certainly not his last "guest", whom he interviewed at length as they walked along the street. What was his name again? Adams or something. Involved in politics maybe?

It'll come to me...

Edit: Just noticed Fearon's post about the "Back to my Roots" programme (above). Once again, he's giving an utterly false and misleading impression when he says that "he [Armstrong] got abuse on OWC" for it. The pretty much unanimous verdict was that it was an interesting programme, since it showed an aspect of Armstrong's character and background which wasn't really known to most NI football fans.

If anything, respect for him was enhanced, since posters appreciated his ability to take people as he found them, whether they be his former GAA-playing mates, or his present NI soccer friends, each of whom he seemed to value equally. There was absolutely no resentment that he gave a platform to Gerry Adams* to talk about what life was like on the Falls when they were both young. I wouldn't normally seek to speak for an entire group, but I can say without fear of contradiction that Gerry Armstrong is an all-time hero of every NI soccer fan, whether this is due to a "lucky goal from a goalkeeping error" or not( ;)). Indeed, when Sanchez left, there were quite a few people proposing that Gerry (Armstong, not Adams!) be his replacement, even despite the fact that he's never managed at any significant level before.

Oh, and Fearon's attempt to smear the entire Armstrong family for alleged "megalomania" on the basis of knowing Gerry's brother proves absolutely nothing, other than to confirm just what a prejudiced individual he (Fearon) is.

* - There aren't too many people who could provide a platform for Adams to receive a fair hearing on OWC, but Armstrong managed it, entirely without adverse comment.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nifan

so now the right thing was to remind him of a tv show from a year ago ::)

i dont recall much abuse on owc for this show - certainly nobody stated that anyone seeing him at windsor park should do the right thing anyway.

he obviously still has time for the gaa and his old area, but just because he doesnt fit your view of what someone from the falls should be like you think the man shouldnt be allowed back ::)

ziggysego

Oh dear....

I guess I better go back to my anger management programme.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Ziggy, try 5 Sams long weekend Mc Kenna binge. It has finally helped him to erase the memories of Clones 1999 ;D

wesaysanchez

about time too. weve beatebn spain, england sweden, iceland. we've ha d the ormeou bakery, soin mills flazx, bucshmills whishry, harland and wolf, the ship factory, the crisps factory thats tatyo. , the mall in armagh thats cricketk, the ultsler fry, snow partol, ash, the corrs, free presepertarianism, samus heney, mary peter,. persifdent ulyssess grant in america, ill think of more later/

ziggysego

I'm still dining out on the 2003 All-Ireland Final and 2005 All-Ireland Semi-Final Tony  :D
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Quote from: wesaysanchez on January 29, 2008, 01:53:45 PM
about time too. weve beatebn spain, england sweden, iceland. we've ha d the ormeou bakery, soin mills flazx, bucshmills whishry, harland and wolf, the ship factory, the crisps factory thats tatyo. , the mall in armagh thats cricketk, the ultsler fry, snow partol, ash, the corrs, free presepertarianism, samus heney, mary peter,. persifdent ulyssess grant in america, ill think of more later/

the corrs :D

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 28, 2008, 09:52:41 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2008, 09:27:46 PM
Complete rubbish heganboy. I had two young nephews of my wife's doing a bit of work in the house the other night. Both are dyed in the wool North East of Ireland supporters, but I neither killed nor insulted them. I have no objection with anyone from any background playing for the IFA team I do object to Armstrong coming out with this patronising crap though and saying it in such a presumptious way, as if he was speaking for all of us. >:(

Just out of curiousity Tony, do these two lads follow the "one true faith" as you like to call it?

Tony - will you please answer my question?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 29, 2008, 05:24:35 PM

Solomon, hope you dont mind me asking, but why do you want to know which religion they are?
What difference would that make?
Ask me holy bollix

Rav67

Quote from: wesaysanchez on January 29, 2008, 01:53:45 PM

Don't forget William Ferguson Massey!

AZOffaly

Beca
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 29, 2008, 05:31:01 PM

Solomon, hope you dont mind me asking, but why do you want to know which religion they are?

Because Tony constantly says that few/no Catholics support Northern Ireland. if these lads are Catholics, it's a point against him. I'd imagine that's SK's motivation for the question. Trying to trip poor Tony up. Sneaky that.

his holiness nb

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 29, 2008, 05:37:43 PM
Beca
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 29, 2008, 05:31:01 PM

Because Tony constantly says that few/no Catholics support Northern Ireland. if these lads are Catholics, it's a point against him. I'd imagine that's SK's motivation for the question. Trying to trip poor Tony up. Sneaky that.

Thats what I thought, but given the tit Tony has made of himself on this thread I would have presumed there was no need to trip him up further, he is already lying face down in the mud  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Evil Genius

I had two young nephews of my wife's doing a bit of work in the house the other night. Both are dyed in the wool North East of Ireland supporters, but I neither killed nor insulted them.

Ah, the old "Some of my best friends are black" defence... ::)  Anyhow, why would anyone consider "killing" or "insulting" someone merely because they follow another team? Do you expect some sort of credit for your restraint? Or were you merely afraid of your wife (poor woman)?

I have no objection with anyone from any background playing for the IFA team

Nonsense! You're forever banging on about how the NI team is "sectarian/monocultural/loyalist blah blah blah". If you really believe this crap, then to be principled and consistent, you should have to object to people representing them. Which of course you do, seeing as how in the past you've variously insulted and misrepresented any number of NI players, such as Jennings, Lennon, Armstrong etc, as well as the fans and just about anyone connected with the team.

I do object to Armstrong coming out with this patronising crap though and saying it in such a presumptious way, as if he was speaking for all of us. >:(

Very poor and transparent attempt to justify the offensive, even intimidatory, insult against Armstrong with which you opened this thread.  >:(
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Square Ball

Maybe while he is lying face down in the mud he wants to stand on his head, just to rub it in.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 29, 2008, 05:47:32 PM
I had two young nephews of my wife's doing a bit of work in the house the other night. Both are dyed in the wool North East of Ireland supporters, but I neither killed nor insulted them.
Ah, the old "Some of my best friends are black" defence... ::)  

EG, I agree with you entire post.
But re the "some of my best freinds are black" defence. Some of the OWC boys are the worst offenders here. I dont know how many times its been mentioned that guys go to games with nationalist, or catholic freinds to NI games.
You just have to give the benefit of the doubt in these cases.
Ask me holy bollix