Started by Orior, November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Let's start the conversation. My prediction:

Armagh 0-13 Donegal 3-15

Hope I am very wrong.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

J70

According to Bonner, McBrearty will definitely be fit.

LCohen

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 12:22:12 PM
According to Bonner, McBrearty will definitely be fit.

Probably Colm McFadden as well

APM

Head says Donegal by six.  They are on a different level.  They should have beaten Tyrone by 5 or 6 and would have only for a soft goal by Canavan.  Tyrone were completely out of that game in the second half.  They seem very well balanced, between youth and experience, forwards and attack, skillful footballers and hardy lads for made for winter football and they keep the scoreboard ticking over. Armagh on the other hand, give away too many frees (suicide in winter football), vulnerable when ran at (Langdon and Jamie Brennan will definitely do so) and are prone to going out of the game for long periods.  Neither are they as hardened as Donegal.  A massive additional factor is that Patton's kickouts really can put the opposition on the backfoot and I would expect Armagh to concede short kickouts and on that basis they will give Donegal a very strong platform for victory.  Donegal could also employ several tactics to exploit Armagh weaknesses, including dropping high balls in on top of Murphy at FF, running at the Armagh FB line and pressing up on Hughes' kickouts.   Twenty years ago, you would have given Armagh a great chance and back then the "on-the-day" was a big factor.  This isn't the case now because teams are much more tactical, fewer risks are taken and the chances of an upset are much reduced. 

However, the heart says they have a chance. The weather this time of year can be a great leveler. This is an up and coming Armagh team and their progression has been slow but hopefully sustainable.  I don't think they will fear Donegal and will see a great chance to take a scalp. It really is a free shot at one of the big guns and if this Armagh team is to step up, their midfield and forwards are capable of making a statement.  Big question is whether the defense can rise to the occasion.

BennyCake

APM, I don't recall Murphy in at FF at all v Tyrone. Strange that I thought. A wet day, all it takes is a flick and balls in the net. Donegal might put him in FF v Armagh but Armagh should also try Rian O'Neill or Burns in FF, as we are going to need goals to beat Donegal.

illdecide

The good thing is no one will fancy Armagh and TBH i hate them being favourites anyway. Donegal are hot favourites and rightly so, Armagh have a chance as they have the fire power to hurt Donegal but will need their defence to have the game of their lives. It's possible but highly unlikely. Still trying to work out what suits Armagh regarding a bigger pitch and winter football...Looking forward to it as it's a free one for us as we'll be written off by everyone...Just raging i can't be there.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: APM on November 03, 2020, 12:58:01 PM
Head says Donegal by six.  They are on a different level.  They should have beaten Tyrone by 5 or 6 and would have only for a soft goal by Canavan.  Tyrone were completely out of that game in the second half.  They seem very well balanced, between youth and experience, forwards and attack, skillful footballers and hardy lads for made for winter football and they keep the scoreboard ticking over. Armagh on the other hand, give away too many frees (suicide in winter football), vulnerable when ran at (Langdon and Jamie Brennan will definitely do so) and are prone to going out of the game for long periods.  Neither are they as hardened as Donegal.  A massive additional factor is that Patton's kickouts really can put the opposition on the backfoot and I would expect Armagh to concede short kickouts and on that basis they will give Donegal a very strong platform for victory.  Donegal could also employ several tactics to exploit Armagh weaknesses, including dropping high balls in on top of Murphy at FF, running at the Armagh FB line and pressing up on Hughes' kickouts.   Twenty years ago, you would have given Armagh a great chance and back then the "on-the-day" was a big factor.  This isn't the case now because teams are much more tactical, fewer risks are taken and the chances of an upset are much reduced. 

However, the heart says they have a chance. The weather this time of year can be a great leveler. This is an up and coming Armagh team and their progression has been slow but hopefully sustainable.  I don't think they will fear Donegal and will see a great chance to take a scalp. It really is a free shot at one of the big guns and if this Armagh team is to step up, their midfield and forwards are capable of making a statement.  Big question is whether the defense can rise to the occasion.

I think that is all fair enough tbh.  Armagh just aren't at the Donegal level yet in my opinion.  Maybe with a years Div1 football under our belt that will change.  The Armagh defence doesn't appear to be up to it unfortunately.  They either seem to let runners through the middle for goals or foul the players in scoreable positions.  Donegal will eat that up either way.

Keeping goals out and scoring a couple ourselves would be the only hope. Perhaps, if fit, Murnin will get a few mins in that regard.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on November 03, 2020, 01:49:56 PM
APM, I don't recall Murphy in at FF at all v Tyrone. Strange that I thought. A wet day, all it takes is a flick and balls in the net. Donegal might put him in FF v Armagh but Armagh should also try Rian O'Neill or Burns in FF, as we are going to need goals to beat Donegal.

And Patton has had a couple of slip-ups in both county and club this year with high balls.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Orior on November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM
Let's start the conversation. My prediction:

Armagh 0-13 Donegal 3-15

Hope I am very wrong.

I think it will be a bit closer but I can't see Armagh getting any closer than 6 points to a Donegal team that will go on to win another Ulster title and give Dublin a good rattle in the All-Ireland semi finals.

Armagh 0-15 Donegal 1-18

naka

i think we will put it up to them.
Armagh 1-11 Donegal 2-12, genuinely wouldn`t be surprised if we won, but Donegal better equipped to give Dublin/kerry a rattle.

Orior

Our best bet is that Donegal treat this as a forgone conclusion and don't turn up until 10 mins to go.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Blowitupref

Quote from: naka on November 03, 2020, 03:38:54 PM
i think we will put it up to them.
Armagh 1-11 Donegal 2-12, genuinely wouldn`t be surprised if we won, but Donegal better equipped to give Dublin/kerry a rattle.

There was this game and Donegal went on to beat Dublin comfortably in the next match but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

www.the42.ie/donegal-armagh-all-ireland-quarter-final-2014-1612019-Aug2014/%3famp=1
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 03, 2020, 01:50:48 PM
TV?

Sky (or NowTV by Internet)

Donegal winning by 6 seems like a reasonable prediction. Armagh should try and keep the gap to more like 3 and then you always have a punchers chance of goal from a deflection or a penalty.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B