What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: BenDover on December 19, 2018, 08:31:43 AM
Purchased this last weekend - Samsung ue55nu7100, I'm thinking I should be able to pick up the RTÉ signal on this TV since I can get RTÉ on another TV in the house from the aerial. I ran through the setup twice once with the region set to UK and the other time the region was set to Ireland. When I selected the Ireland option the TV picked up approx. 25 less channels, so I've it switched back the the UK as default region. Anyone any ideas?

Same thing happened to me.

Your Irish channels are most likely buried randomly up in the high 800s. You can programme them to a more sensible run.

I'm guessing that there are certain UK Freeview channels are not permitted in Ireland, hence they get lost in Saorview mode.

trueblue1234

After nearly 15 years my tv is on the last legs do started to shop round a bit the day. Talk about information overload. Looking for either a 60-65 inch. Anyone know what's the best makes (and models) to look for? Ideally the below the £800 mark. No gaming or anything like that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

You can always get a fancy TV, but you will notice the difference in the first £500 much more than the £500 above that.
I bought an LG in November and it is fine, this is the 65" model, well within budget
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-65um7450pla-65-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10191788-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

If you want your TV capable of running IPTV without the need for a box/firestick etc then buy a LG or Samsung Smart TV or any Android TV.

trueblue1234

Cheers for the replies. A friend mentioned the refresh rate and that I should be looking something around 120hz. Is that as important as he was making out?

dublin7

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 01, 2020, 10:05:31 PM
After nearly 15 years my tv is on the last legs do started to shop round a bit the day. Talk about information overload. Looking for either a 60-65 inch. Anyone know what's the best makes (and models) to look for? Ideally the below the £800 mark. No gaming or anything like that.

Sony have the best TVs. Below them there is no real difference in quality between the main brands such as Samsung, Panasonic, LG etc, just depends on personal taste.

trueblue1234

Quote from: dublin7 on March 02, 2020, 12:47:59 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 01, 2020, 10:05:31 PM

Sony have the best TVs. Below them there is no real difference in quality between the main brands such as Samsung, Panasonic, LG etc, just depends on personal taste.

Cheers have a sony at the minute and it was good.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Itchy on March 02, 2020, 11:28:55 AM
If you want your TV capable of running IPTV without the need for a box/firestick etc then buy a LG or Samsung Smart TV or any Android TV.
Can Sony TVs not download the IPTV apps?

thewobbler

Sony do make the best TVs.

But after them I would only recommend LG or Samsung. Smart TV apps are maybe the most important thing on a modern TV, and the difference in availability of Apps between Sony, Samsung, LG, and then everyone else, is extraordinary.

imtommygunn

I have an LG and there were a couple of things I was looking for recently app wise which were only available on Samsung. You will get more apps on samsung although tv quality wise I think LG do match them.

dec

We have a Samsung TV and a Fire TV stick. The apps on the Samsung do not seem to get updated as often as those on the Fire stick and the range is not as good so we end up never using the Samsung apps. You could look into getting a Roku or Fire stick and use that as the "smart" bit of your setup. It would also be cheaper to replace if it ever became outdated.

trueblue1234

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2020, 02:32:46 PM

But after them I would only recommend LG or Samsung. Smart TV apps are maybe the most important thing on a modern TV, and the difference in availability of Apps between Sony, Samsung, LG, and then everyone else, is extraordinary.

No they don't. They haven't done for years. And Android TV is dreadful. I say this as a huge Android fan.

Smart apps on the TV aren't the most important thing in the slightest. You can easily get whatever apps or user interface you want plugging in a fire stick, Roku stick, Nvidia shield etc.

Your post is absolutely uninformed waffle.

TrueBlue, 120Hz refresh rate isn't important if gaming isn't important.

What's more important is the colour gamut, whether you need OLED or not, will TV be placed beside a widow and watched during day (if so get one capable of achieving higher brightness). What connections do you need? How many HDMI? Do you need hdmi 2.1?

Also, with any flatscreen TVs these days, if you value sound quality in even the slightest fashion, get a soundbar. Even a cheap one is far superior to the inbuilt speakers on a TV.

playwiththewind1st

"Will TV be placed beside a widow and watched during day"

Sounds like an ideal afternoon, in the nursing home.

trueblue1234

Quote from: gallsman on March 02, 2020, 09:49:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2020, 02:32:46 PM

No they don't. They haven't done for years. And Android TV is dreadful. I say this as a huge Android fan.

Smart apps on the TV aren't the most important thing in the slightest. You can easily get whatever apps or user interface you want plugging in a fire stick, Roku stick, Nvidia shield etc.

Your post is absolutely uninformed waffle.

TrueBlue, 120Hz refresh rate isn't important if gaming isn't important.

What's more important is the colour gamut, whether you need OLED or not, will TV be placed beside a widow and watched during day (if so get one capable of achieving higher brightness). What connections do you need? How many HDMI? Do you need hdmi 2.1?

Also, with any flatscreen TVs these days, if you value sound quality in even the slightest fashion, get a soundbar. Even a cheap one is far superior to the inbuilt speakers on a TV.

Cheers. Room will be in the sunroom and quite a bit of glare. So will keep an eye on the brightness. For hdmi only connection now is a android box and the BT box.