Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 03, 2018, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2018, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 03, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
Mourinho has downed tools and is waiting to be sacked, unfortunately I'm not as excited as I was when Moyes & LVG were nearing the end. Woodward won't want to sack him but it might take another few weeks of bad result and a 10 point gap to top 4 for it too happen. Mourinho should have quit after deadline day but he'd get no  pay off by walking.

Zidane isn't the answer but I haven't a clue who is, the club desperately needs a director of football if we're going to keep going through managers every few years. I really worry, Woodward's business acumen is over hyped, just look at the wage bill that was announced in last weeks results; Its out of control considering where we are.

Is anyone available apart from Zidane?

Its amazing how timing can work. Where would Liverpool be now had Klopp not left Dortmund and taken a break in 2015 just when it was all coming to a head for Rodgers? Would they have turned to Mourinho, who left Chelsea a few weeks after Klopp was appointed? (Probably not, as they supposedly snubbed Mourinho in favour of Rafa in 2004. But then the Bobby Charlton-led United board were also against appointing Mourinho at an earlier time, so who knows?).

Conte is available too as far as I'm aware. Timing is everything, they can give it to someone until the end of the season and take it from their.

Giggsy?

Hound

Quote from: trailer on October 03, 2018, 12:43:46 PM

Rashford, constantly taking corners and consistently hitting them into their keepers hands. Shaw took one near the end and resulted in Lukaku's free header, which he missed.

It was a very good outswinging corner taken by Shaw. To see Rashford take the next one was bizarre.

Jeepers Creepers

Utds start to the season last year
13 August 2017 West Ham United H 4–0  Lukaku (2) 33', 52', Martial 87', Pogba 90' 74,928 1st
19 August 2017 Swansea City A       4–0  Bailly 45', Lukaku 80', Pogba 82', Martial 84' 20,862 1st
26 August 2017 Leicester City H       2–0  Rashford 70', Fellaini 82' 75,021 1st
9 September 2017 Stoke City A        2–2  Rashford 45+1', Lukaku 57' 29,320 1st
17 September 2017 Everton H         4–0  Valencia 4', Mkhitaryan 83', Lukaku 89', Martial 90+2' (pen.) 75,042 2nd
23 September 2017 Southampton A 1–0  Lukaku 20' 31,930 2nd
30 September 2017 Crystal Palace H 4–0  Mata 3', Fellaini (2) 35', 49', Lukaku 86' 75,118 2nd
14 October 2017 Liverpool A             0–0 52,912 2nd
21 October 2017 Huddersfield Town A 1–2 Rashford 78' 24,426 2nd
28 October 2017 Tottenham HotspurH 1–0 Martial 81' 75,034 2nd
5 November 2017 Chelsea A               0–1                 41,615 2nd

our_fella

Since the beginning of the season Rashford has wanted to take FKs & corners... Either never beats the first man, or absolutely thumps it and goes sky high... Baffling

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 03, 2018, 04:00:55 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 03, 2018, 02:58:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2018, 01:55:57 PM
WHAT exactly is the ongoing issue?

To me, Mourinho's personal insecurity-caused drama aside, its the style of the football.

Moyes was clueless and in over his head, but Van Gaal and Mourinho have both cultivated extremely boring, safety-first styles of play, which compare extremely poorly to what is going on across the city (with success added) and even at Anfield, while showing little signs of building towards a title challenge.

I'm assuming that United fans would be perfectly happy to allow someone to come in and build over a few seasons IF they were showing signs of developing a team that played entertaining football?

Boycey is correct, its not just a management issue. I was happy to see Mourinho come in, was happy enough with the progress we'd made over the last 2 seasons and thought with the signings of 3 defenders this summer we'd see better football but that didn't happen.

The next manager is going to inherit several players he doesn't want all who on huge money and many who will be difficult to shift which is identical to what happened when Mourinho took over. United needed a huge clearout the day Mourinho arrived and it never materialised. On paper thats a very talented squad in terms of midfielders and attacking players but lets see what they do under the next manager so squad wise the next manager has a lot less to do than was the case in 2016.

Woodward is well out of his depth when it comes to footballing matters and needs to employ someone capable between him and the manager, there's a reason why United have recouped very little in transfer fees since he arrived.

Pretty sad to see you still defending Mourinho even though you are saying lots of contradictory stuff. It seems to me that you're saying the stuff that went wrong was Woodward's or LVG's fault. Mourinho failed as I and many others predicted and he failed in every possible way. An abject failure. It's about time you admitted this. You've already said he has downed tools (as he has done everywhere else he has been) yet it's somehow not his fault? If people cottoned on that he wasn't up to this job he'd have been gone a lot sooner.

Interesting you say Zidane is not the answer. How was Mourinho ever the answer? I'd be fairly certain Zidane has very little control over his previous clubs transfer dealings but he got on with it, coached the team to success and didn't ever embarass his club, never mind on a weekly basis.

The truth is though you'll struggle to find someone worse than Mourinho for this job.

Simply stating its not all Mourinho's fault, I think Woodward is the biggest problem the club has and is a far bigger issue than Mourinho.  LVG bought very very poorly but it wasn't his fault Woodward stuck so many of those players on huge contracts which made them difficult to shift. Whats am I been contradictory about?

Mourinho has downed tools once before, didn't do it first time around at Chelsea, at Inter or at Real Madrid. Surely you're happy with this as you and many others don't like him and want rid of him? Its wrong but i'm not surprised, he knows he can't win the league or CL with this lot and doesn't have the full backing of his boss so he's sees no point in hanging around.

gawa316

Quote from: Hound on October 03, 2018, 04:38:56 PM

Rashford, constantly taking corners and consistently hitting them into their keepers hands. Shaw took one near the end and resulted in Lukaku's free header, which he missed.

It was a very good outswinging corner taken by Shaw. To see Rashford take the next one was bizarre.

Ashley Young took an Aspas-esque one at the weekend

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 03, 2018, 05:26:08 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2018, 02:43:00 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2018, 11:49:41 PM
Would a new manager do any better with that lot though. So much dead wood there stretching bback to Fergie's time.

Of the entire starting team and seven subs tonight only De Gea (deadwood - lol), Valencia and Smalling were even in the senior team when Ferguson left. Really lazy analysis.
No words.....you're just a hateful b**tard , there's really no other way around it ...

And yet this is your response to a post that makes a substantive point rather than a cave-dwelling insult. Christ, some of you really have no perspective outside of your blinkered personal dislike. It's embarassing for me to read, let alone an outsider looking in.

Boycey

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchester-united/story/3655526/man-united-owners-the-glazer-family-still-backing-jose-mourinho-sources?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Ogden is usually well informed on United matters..Fits with what I said earlier, they'll be reluctant to sack him while they would have to pay a mega severance deal. Although Jose may force their hand.

trailer

Quote from: Hound on October 03, 2018, 04:38:56 PM

Clearly they weighed things up and realised Lukaku would miss the chance anyway, so they just decided to let Rashford give it straight to the keeper.

keep her low this half

Quote from: Boycey on October 03, 2018, 07:29:51 PM
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchester-united/story/3655526/man-united-owners-the-glazer-family-still-backing-jose-mourinho-sources?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Ogden is usually well informed on United matters..Fits with what I said earlier, they'll be reluctant to sack him while they would have to pay a mega severance deal. Although Jose may force their hand.

I believe the Glazers run Utd like a business/cash cow. Every manager has a simple KPI, get the team into the champions league. In the two sackings that the Glazers have carried out they have waited until champions league football was mathematically impossible before acting. This is down to not wanting to pay out a full severance package and sticking tightly to agreed contracts. It may not make sense from a football perspective but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. Settle down for a miserable season with Mourinho trying his best to het sacked and the Glazers waiting until April when United cannot mathematically qualify for the champions league before acting

cadhlancian

Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2018, 05:09:21 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on October 03, 2018, 05:26:08 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2018, 02:43:00 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2018, 11:49:41 PM
Would a new manager do any better with that lot though. So much dead wood there stretching bback to Fergie's time.

Of the entire starting team and seven subs tonight only De Gea (deadwood - lol), Valencia and Smalling were even in the senior team when Ferguson left. Really lazy analysis.
No words.....you're just a hateful b**tard , there's really no other way around it ...

And yet this is your response to a post that makes a substantive point rather than a cave-dwelling insult. Christ, some of you really have no perspective outside of your blinkered personal dislike. It's embarassing for me to read, let alone an outsider looking in.
regardless if you're right or wrong , and you never think you are....you're a condescending p***k, nothing caveman about it. I've a fair idea , most people on here think the same...

Boycey

Roy Keane on nottingham radio last night saying the united players should stop acting like cry babies and spoilt brats and regardless of whatever grievances they have with mourinho when the pull on the united jersey they should roll up their sleeves give 100% and remember they represent themselves their families and more importantly their club manchester united. More or less saying stop behaving like pricks get your finger out and f**king behave like manchester united players. Whatever about your feelings of keano it is hard to disagree with his comments. Thoughts?

Same applies to any club and manager, you don't like the manager?boo f**king hoo, think of the money you're getting every week and the poor saps that pay their hard earned every week to go see you play

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on October 04, 2018, 01:25:20 PM
Roy Keane on nottingham radio last night saying the united players should stop acting like cry babies and spoilt brats and regardless of whatever grievances they have with mourinho when the pull on the united jersey they should roll up their sleeves give 100% and remember they represent themselves their families and more importantly their club manchester united. More or less saying stop behaving like pricks get your finger out and f**king behave like manchester united players. Whatever about your feelings of keano it is hard to disagree with his comments. Thoughts?

Same applies to any club and manager, you don't like the manager?boo f**king hoo, think of the money you're getting every week and the poor saps that pay their hard earned every week to go see you play

Couldnt agree more with what keane has said. Problem is that the players are now so far removed from reality and are kept in such a bubble that this thinking does seem to be prevalent.

brokencrossbar1

Saipan anyone?  Pot and kettle.

tiempo

Quote from: NAG1 on October 04, 2018, 01:34:21 PM

Couldnt agree more with what keane has said. Problem is that the players are now so far removed from reality and are kept in such a bubble that this thinking does seem to be prevalent.

This is where due diligence comes in, of course there are players out there who will naturally do what Keane describes, sign them and stay away from the mercenaries and lads more bothered about being on the cover of the latest FIFA game.