Author Topic: The IRISH RUGBY thread  (Read 420955 times)

redhandefender

• View Profile
Re: The IRISH RUGBY thread
« Reply #6120 on: January 17, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »
McCloskey and Cooney missing out for Scannell and Marmion is ballicks.

McCloskey really must have done something to Scmidt

Crete Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: January 17, 2018, 07:57:02 PM »
Squad annouced for the 6N:

Ireland Squad (Nat West 6 Nations Championship 2018, Round 1 and 2)

FORWARDS (20)
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) c 106 caps
Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 5 caps
Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 56 caps
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 11 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 19 caps
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 73 caps
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 34 caps
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 3 cap
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 22 caps
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
Jack McGrath (St Mary's College/Leinster) 42 caps
Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 18 caps
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 42 caps
Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 3 caps
Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 3 caps
James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 11 caps
CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 18 caps
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 53 caps
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 9 caps

BACKS (16)
Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 2 caps
Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 6 caps
Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 6 caps
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 62 caps
Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 2 caps
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 31 caps
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 78 caps
Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster) 7 caps
Jordan Larmour (St Mary's College/Leinster)*
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 18 caps
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 32 caps
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 6 caps
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 59 caps
Johnny Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) 68 caps
Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 3 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 4 caps

Is Cooney not a bit hard done by? Arguably Ulster's best player this year!

He is just unlucky that Marmion and McGrath are just a bit better than him!! Cooney is very consistent though.

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:21 PM »
McCloskey and Cooney missing out for Scannell and Marmion is ballicks.

McCloskey really must have done something to Scmidt
Did he not go to the Euros instead of a US tour or something?

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: January 17, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »
See the players named as having a 'club', what's the story there, would any of those guys Ever tog out for their real local club?

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: January 17, 2018, 11:18:04 PM »
See the players named as having a 'club', what's the story there, would any of those guys Ever tog out for their real local club?

No

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: January 17, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »
What's with the pretence?

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: January 17, 2018, 11:37:27 PM »

No

Sometimes they would coming back from injury or whatever. Paul O Connell played for the cookies a couple of times after injuries.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: Today at 07:00:12 AM »

No

Sometimes they would coming back from injury or whatever. Paul O Connell played for the cookies a couple of times after injuries.

That happened years ago, would be A games now, the club affiliation is just so senior clubs can feel important plus if a player is affiliated to them they get extra international tickets. It's all about the tickets for the senior clubs. Take Joey Carbery his club should be Athy  8 years with Athy, 1 year Blackrock College, 1 year Clontarf. He will get referred to in the media more often as a Clontarf player and product of Blackrock than he will product of Athy RFC, bolloxolgy really.
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: Today at 08:24:50 AM »
Chris Henry says signing the steroid South African is unacceptable. But look at the size of Henry. He reminds me of those cheap chickens bred for their fillets. Size FF . Organic chickens might be a B.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/it-is-unacceptable-ireland-international-hits-out-at-signing-of-gerbrandt-grobler-36501599.html
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"

Dinny Breen

• View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: Today at 08:34:25 AM »
Chris Henry says signing the steroid South African is unacceptable. But look at the size of Henry. He reminds me of those cheap chickens bred for their fillets. Size FF . Organic chickens might be a B.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/it-is-unacceptable-ireland-international-hits-out-at-signing-of-gerbrandt-grobler-36501599.html

How big was Chris Henry when he was 20? I doubt he took any shortcuts, I say doubt because who the f**k knows really! Look at the size of some of the Galway hurlers!!!
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: Today at 09:04:17 AM »

How big was Chris Henry when he was 20? I doubt he took any shortcuts, I say doubt because who the f**k knows really! Look at the size of some of the Galway hurlers!!!
I think rugby is grotesque at this stage  . It is a freak show .
Pro sports are always going to be more extreme.
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"

Dinny Breen

• View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: Today at 09:16:49 AM »

Freak show I don't know, backs are getting bigger sure but forwards now need to be more athletic as the ball is in play longer and too much bulk is causing an issue. Suspect more Rugby players will test positive for EPO or any PED than can improve aerobic and anaerobic performance.

Does society reflect Pro-Sports or does Pros-Sports reflect society? Go to any gym and have a look around at the size of some of the guys in there and remind yourself these are just guys who want to look good!!
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: Today at 09:21:10 AM »

Freak show I don't know, backs are getting bigger sure but forwards now need to be more athletic as the ball is in play longer and too much bulk is causing an issue. Suspect more Rugby players will test positive for EPO or any PED than can improve aerobic and anaerobic performance.

Does society reflect Pro-Sports or does Pros-Sports reflect society? Go to any gym and have a look around at the size of some of the guys in there and remind yourself these are just guys who want to look good!!
What proportion of people go to gyms? How many rugby players would look normal in a suit ??

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: Today at 09:22:17 AM »
I think rugby is heading for serious issues down the road. They've really done little to nothing to address head injuries and I fear the power these professional players possess is doing huge damage.