Career Change

Started by Ty4Sam, March 21, 2018, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 22, 2018, 07:44:35 PM
So what's considered to be good money for a man in his 50s?

It really depends on your career surely?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 07:47:31 PM

Not having daughters would be a start!
How are you getting on with the pup by the way
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 22, 2018, 08:11:57 PM

9 months now and it's like she has always been there.. the kids do the odd thing but we generally do all the walking lifting and feeding! Very good with people and other dogs..

The wife has started taking her to a behaviour training class, just for info and tips as I've no issues at all but just to see.. holidays have been curtailed as I'm just interested in finding spots that are dog friendly!

As an add on to this thread, there are a serious amount of dog jobs, walkers, kennels, pampering, play parks. They are well paid and one girl I know who does this earns real good coin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 08:54:16 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 22, 2018, 08:11:57 PM

9 months now and it's like she has always been there.. the kids do the odd thing but we generally do all the walking lifting and feeding! Very good with people and other dogs..

The wife has started taking her to a behaviour training class, just for info and tips as I've no issues at all but just to see.. holidays have been curtailed as I'm just interested in finding spots that are dog friendly!

As an add on to this thread, there are a serious amount of dog jobs, walkers, kennels, pampering, play parks. They are well paid and one girl I know who does this earns real good coin

Woman lives opposite me is a dog groomer and never stops from 8am to 5pm, £25 a go
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on March 22, 2018, 09:12:44 PM

Woman lives opposite me is a dog groomer and never stops from 8am to 5pm, £25 a go
Huge money to be made from pets, some people are crazy what they are willing to spend on animals.
My wife is a Vet but before we had kids she had a little side business doing dog obedience classes at the weekend. She was flat out every Saturday doing  it. I was always amazed how much people were willing to spend on their dogs.
She eventually gave it up when she got pregnant but it was good while it lasted.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

Quote from: laoislad on March 22, 2018, 09:21:34 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 22, 2018, 09:12:44 PM

Huge money to be made from pets, some people are crazy what they are willing to spend on animals.
My wife is a Vet but before we had kids she had a little side business doing dog obedience classes at the weekend. She was flat out every Saturday doing  it. I was always amazed how much people were willing to spend on their dogs.
She eventually gave it up when she got pregnant but it was good while it lasted.

The Obedience? Or the side business?

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on March 21, 2018, 11:52:53 AM
I know a lot of lads around 40 questioning life, career choice, looking forward to retirement and the time they have left.
A job is a job. If it isn't something vocational that doesn't translate well in to another role I would sit tight and just view it as a way to make money to pay for life.
Then try to embrace the actual living part a little more......take up a new hobby or go on a trip or take on a project around the house and complete it.... happiness in work or relationships or life isn't chasing the next thing...I've found it's a decision mostly.

Crazy how accurate the first sentence is. Pushing 40 in 2 years myself and 2016 I left a very busy, albeit not greatly paid job to take on a less busy job, being paid twice as much with incentive to make up to 3 times my previous salary. I thought the money would bring great happiness - and while it's very nice to be in this position from a financial perspective - there are days I go up the walls with madness. I was used to turning the computer on at 6am on a Monday and having enough work in the mailbox by lunch time to keep me going until the weekend. It was overwhelming but I really enjoyed it. It was like crossfit employment.

I still work very hard, but have a much more enjoyable work life balance now. I can take the kid to school, pick her up, go to the gym during the day etc - but I am gone overnight anywhere from 10-18 nights out of 24 average in a month. That being said, I felt much more successful in my older job. Some people have an unhealthy sense of self worth tied into what they do, and I was clearly in that boat and it took some readjustment of expectations on my part.

I'd love to have a marketable skill that translated into my own business. I do regret never learning things like that as a younger man.

tintin25

Not sure if the right thread....but

Currently work at a place I enjoy and got a promotion of sorts to another department two years ago.  It's been going well, but having made some enquiries with recruitment companies etc I could be probably be getting a further 3/4K doing the same role elsewhere.  They are keen to send the CV, but I'm sorta torn between staying put for another bit to get more experience, or just letting them send the CV and see if I get called up for any interviews.  Regarding asking for a pay increase with current employer, I did touch on it before with them, but to honest it's the sort of place were it won't happen unless you had an offer from somewhere else and they wanted to keep you.  Anyone been in similar position?  Is liking a place of work enough of a justification to say for a further bit?  I have though found that progress has stalled abit in current role.

trueblue1234

Quote from: tintin25 on August 05, 2019, 08:14:07 AM

Currently work at a place I enjoy and got a promotion of sorts to another department two years ago.  It's been going well, but having made some enquiries with recruitment companies etc I could be probably be getting a further 3/4K doing the same role elsewhere.  They are keen to send the CV, but I'm sorta torn between staying put for another bit to get more experience, or just letting them send the CV and see if I get called up for any interviews.  Regarding asking for a pay increase with current employer, I did touch on it before with them, but to honest it's the sort of place were it won't happen unless you had an offer from somewhere else and they wanted to keep you.  Anyone been in similar position?  Is liking a place of work enough of a justification to say for a further bit?  I have though found that progress has stalled a bit in current role.

Firstly enjoying where you work is massive and should be a big consideration. Have you actually firmly asked for a raise and shown them some justification, i.e shots of job boards showing similar roles with higher salaries, salary surveys etc? If not then, that would be my first step. If it's still a no you've then a decision to make.
Secondly you have to consider the long term. With that business are you going to have to interview and get a counter offer every time you feel you are justified in a pay rise? A lot of hassle if the company aren't being proactive to ensure they keep talent.
What I would say is don't go down the route of getting another offer to push up your salary unless you've actually decided that you are prepared to leave if your current employer doesn't play ball. The reality is that maybe the business can't afford an increase, or that they don't believe you are preforming at a level to justify the increase. And at that stage I think you need to be prepared to follow through and leave.
All in my opinion obviously. But definitely don't under rate the importance of working somewhere you enjoy.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Currently work at a place I enjoy and got a promotion of sorts to another department two years ago.  It's been going well, but having made some enquiries with recruitment companies etc I could be probably be getting a further 3/4K doing the same role elsewhere.  They are keen to send the CV, but I'm sorta torn between staying put for another bit to get more experience, or just letting them send the CV and see if I get called up for any interviews.  Regarding asking for a pay increase with current employer, I did touch on it before with them, but to honest it's the sort of place were it won't happen unless you had an offer from somewhere else and they wanted to keep you.  Anyone been in similar position?  Is liking a place of work enough of a justification to say for a further bit?  I have though found that progress has stalled abit in current role.

I've always moved to the better paying job in the same career, why be paid less for doing the same job? If its in the same location and you are not travelling further and and the level of work is the same then send your CV, if it encourages your current employers to match that offer then you have the choice! If they don't match it then you'll now how they feel about you as a valued employee
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I've never moved for a pay decrease but there are two jobs I have worked in I would have considered it for.

Talk to them but if only go for the job if you are prepared to follow through with your threat of leaving if they don't offer you more money.

trailer

Go in an say that you need more money and if you don't get it you'll have to look at other employers but that this is your least favourite choice and you rather stay were you are. If they don't give you the payrise, they don't value you and you should look for another employer.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 05, 2019, 08:56:36 AM

Currently work at a place I enjoy and got a promotion of sorts to another department two years ago.  It's been going well, but having made some enquiries with recruitment companies etc I could be probably be getting a further 3/4K doing the same role elsewhere.  They are keen to send the CV, but I'm sorta torn between staying put for another bit to get more experience, or just letting them send the CV and see if I get called up for any interviews.  Regarding asking for a pay increase with current employer, I did touch on it before with them, but to honest it's the sort of place were it won't happen unless you had an offer from somewhere else and they wanted to keep you.  Anyone been in similar position?  Is liking a place of work enough of a justification to say for a further bit?  I have though found that progress has stalled a bit in current role.

Firstly enjoying where you work is massive and should be a big consideration. Have you actually firmly asked for a raise and shown them some justification, i.e shots of job boards showing similar roles with higher salaries, salary surveys etc? If not then, that would be my first step. If it's still a no you've then a decision to make.
Secondly you have to consider the long term. With that business are you going to have to interview and get a counter offer every time you feel you are justified in a pay rise? A lot of hassle if the company aren't being proactive to ensure they keep talent.
What I would say is don't go down the route of getting another offer to push up your salary unless you've actually decided that you are prepared to leave if your current employer doesn't play ball. The reality is that maybe the business can't afford an increase, or that they don't believe you are preforming at a level to justify the increase. And at that stage I think you need to be prepared to follow through and leave.
All in my opinion obviously. But definitely don't under rate the importance of working somewhere you enjoy.

Agree with everything trueblue has said here. Have worked places getting more money but it was hateful to get out of bed and go into work in the morning. Love my current job and probably could get more somewhere else but wouldn't compensate for how much I currently enjoy it and the people I work with.

Another thing to consider is the whole package not just the salary - for example my current employer are extremely flexible when it comes to unexpected appointments, working from home, taking time out for family issues etc. Pension, life insurance, dental insurance etc.

Is your manager approachable and could you discuss with him/her the possibility of moving for a higher salary in an informal chat to get an idea of if they will offer you a raise?

tintin25

I did broach the subject in a recent appraisal, but to be honest I don't think it was taken seriously and my immediate manager quickly changed topic.  As I said previously, I won't be getting a pay increase unless I had an offer on the table and even then they might not do anything.  They will argue that I don't have sufficient experience in my current role, as I've only been doing it for 2 years compared to others in the team who have much more experience, however: recruitment agency reckons I could get more elsewhere.

Taylor

Quote from: tintin25 on August 05, 2019, 10:36:49 AM
I did broach the subject in a recent appraisal, but to be honest I don't think it was taken seriously and my immediate manager quickly changed topic.  As I said previously, I won't be getting a pay increase unless I had an offer on the table and even then they might not do anything.  They will argue that I don't have sufficient experience in my current role, as I've only been doing it for 2 years compared to others in the team who have much more experience, however: recruitment agency reckons I could get more elsewhere.

Be careful when listening to recruiters - they will tell you anything to get you on the books.
As someone said start looking around the market to see what a comparable wage is for your role and experience.
Take this to your next appraisal/1:1 along with tangible facts and figures on your performance.

If they dont play ball or take you seriously then start looking elsewhere to get your market worth