Ulster Minor Football Championship 2011

Started by drici, May 10, 2011, 08:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 30, 2011, 10:25:47 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 30, 2011, 09:32:20 AM
Quote from: attheraces on May 29, 2011, 10:48:55 PM
Why was the Monaghan Tyrone game today and not next week? I didn't even realise the game was on today.

It's because of the leaving Cert, Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal don't play Ulster Minor Championship games in June. Very unfair rule if you ask me

Why is it unfair? Who is it unfair on? Seems to be a reasonably sensible idea to me.

Alot of the AS and A Levels are on in May thats why.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

David McKeown

Why was the Monaghan Tyrone game today and not next week? I didn't even realise the game was on today.

It's because of the leaving Cert, Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal don't play Ulster Minor Championship games in June. Very unfair rule if you ask me

Why is it unfair? Who is it unfair on? Seems to be a reasonably sensible idea to me.

Yeah Nrico has hit the nail on the head there, I know of at least two of the Armagh Minors who had an exam last week and one this week.  Given that I only know those two on the panel, I would be surprised if there werent more in a similar position. So it is unfair on the 6 teams who are expected to field whilst their players are doing exams.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Any craic

The three best Ulster minor footballers are left 'scratching themselves for the rest of the Summer' - who is Tyrone manager Mickey Donnelly referring to?

drici

Tie is all over by half time

Cavan 2-11 Antrim 2-02

CAVAN HELD Antrim scoreless in the first half at Páirc Esler, Newry, last night.

Andrew Graham found the net after just two minutes playing into the teeth of a strong wind.

Just seven minutes later Cavan found the net again when midfielders Paul Graham and Joe Dillon combined to put Kevin Bouchier through.

Only the crossbar saved Antrim when conceding a third goal when Andrew Dewart was denied in the 23rd minute.

Cavan began the second half leading by 2-06 to 0-00 and, while Antrim scored two goals, the result was never in doubt.

CAVAN: B O'Mara; B Sankey, K Clarke, F Moore; G Smith, C Moynagh, C Brady; P Graham, G Dillon (0-2); A Dewart, L Buchanan, M Argue (0-1); A Graham (1-3), K Bouchier (1-1), C Finnegan (0-2). Subs: J McCabe for C Brady (46); V Coyle for A Dewart (52); C McEnroe (0-2, 1f) for A Graham (57).

ANTRIM: T Hughes; P McBride, C Hamill, L Peden; M McGarry, C McIlvenny, F O'Neill (1-0); B Leonard, P McReynolds; M Jordan, R Murray (1-1, one free), M Hynds; K Quinn, R Lynch (0-1), B McAleese. Subs: D McCann for C Hamill (18); E Killough for P McReynolds (35); R McGrady for K Quinn (46); J Scullion for R Lynch (48); S O'Neill for D McAleese (54).

Referee; C O'Hagan (Tyrone).

Tyrone book their semi spot

Tyrone 0-15 Monaghan 1-05

ALL-IRELAND MINOR champions Tyrone booked an Ulster semi-final place with a seven-point win at Brewster Park last night.

The Red Hands hit nine points without reply, including two from blood sub Daniel McNulty, who was only on the field for two minutes, and three from Darren McCurry, to lead by 0-9 to 0-2 at half time.

Monaghan substitute Mark McGuirk breathed new life into his side with a 1-2 salvo in the opening eight minutes of the second half.

But the defending champions regrouped and finished strongly with points from subs Enda McGahan and McNulty.

TYRONE: M McReynolds; M McAleer, S Molloy, B Burns; M Heagney (0-2), C McAleer, M Jones; P Barker, N Donaghy; M Cassidy, J Munroe, R Devlin (0-2); D McCurry (0-3, two frees), C McCullagh, S Hackett (0-3). Subs: D McNulty (0-3, one free, one 45) for Donaghy (blood), E McGahan (0-2, both frees) for Cassidy, McNulty for Munroe, R Mayse for McCurry, R Brennan for Heagney, S Quinn for McGahan.

MONAGHAN: C Forde; F Malone, P Finnegan, R Wylie; P Keenan, C Lavelle, B Greenan; J McGuigan, C Boyle (0-1); K Rudden, M Boyce, C Cromwell; T Kerr, F McGeough (0-1), P Greene. Subs: D Courtney for Finnegan, M McGuirk (1-3, three frees) for Kerr

Referee: I Molloy (Donegal).

drici

Armagh complete superb comeback

Armagh 3-11 Down 5-04

ARMAGH PROVED generous to a fault when they conceded four first half goals before regaining their composure after the break to grab a one-point victory in this dramatic, almost surreal, match.

Buoyed by a brace of goals from Shay McCartan and one each from Caolan Mooney and Shea McArdle, Down led at half-time by 4-01 to 0-05. And when McArdle grabbed his second goal two minutes into the second-half, Armagh were seemingly on their knees.

Yet they managed to dig deep to mount the most unlikely of comebacks. Substitute Paul Óg Grant sparked it with a 35th-minute goal and when Michael McKenna powered home their second goal they were in touch at 5-03 to 2-08.

In a thrilling climax Armagh grabbed victory when Paul McGeown coolly glided a 58th minute penalty home.

ARMAGH: D O'Hagan; B McCarron, C White, D O'Neill; M Murphy (0-1), C Hoey, D O'Hagan; A Findon, E Rafferty (0-2); M Carson, C O'Hanlon, M McKenna (1-0); C McNally, P McGeown (1-8, 1-0 pen, seven frees, one 45), C Comiskey. Subs: S Hughes for White (20 mins), P Grant (1-0) for Carson, (24 mins), C Gough for Rafferty (h-t), P Burns for O'Hagan (46 mins).

DOWN: R Miskelly; D Turley, G McGovern, R Lively; M Hughes, C McCartan, P Murdock (0-1); S Harrison, R Johnston; D O'Hanlon, J Scannell (0-2, one free), C Mooney (1-1, one free); D Doyle, S McArdle (2-0), S McCartan (2-0). Subs: S Cochrane for Lively (50 mins), R Burns for Scannell (55 mins), R McAlinden for Doyle (59 mins).

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan).

Orior

Good job by the blood sub for Tyrone getting 3 points!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Any craic

It's the first time I've seen a blood sub getting applauded off the pitch! He came on, kicked a free and a then a massive point from the next ball but was still taken off. Maybe they have to go off? Anyway, he got back on the second-half and kicked a superb pt. Point made!

nrico2006

Quote from: drici on May 30, 2011, 12:12:51 PM
Tie is all over by half time

Cavan 2-11 Antrim 2-02

CAVAN HELD Antrim scoreless in the first half at Páirc Esler, Newry, last night.

Andrew Graham found the net after just two minutes playing into the teeth of a strong wind.

Just seven minutes later Cavan found the net again when midfielders Paul Graham and Joe Dillon combined to put Kevin Bouchier through.

Only the crossbar saved Antrim when conceding a third goal when Andrew Dewart was denied in the 23rd minute.

Cavan began the second half leading by 2-06 to 0-00 and, while Antrim scored two goals, the result was never in doubt.

CAVAN: B O'Mara; B Sankey, K Clarke, F Moore; G Smith, C Moynagh, C Brady; P Graham, G Dillon (0-2); A Dewart, L Buchanan, M Argue (0-1); A Graham (1-3), K Bouchier (1-1), C Finnegan (0-2). Subs: J McCabe for C Brady (46); V Coyle for A Dewart (52); C McEnroe (0-2, 1f) for A Graham (57).

ANTRIM: T Hughes; P McBride, C Hamill, L Peden; M McGarry, C McIlvenny, F O'Neill (1-0); B Leonard, P McReynolds; M Jordan, R Murray (1-1, one free), M Hynds; K Quinn, R Lynch (0-1), B McAleese. Subs: D McCann for C Hamill (18); E Killough for P McReynolds (35); R McGrady for K Quinn (46); J Scullion for R Lynch (48); S O'Neill for D McAleese (54).

Referee; C O'Hagan (Tyrone).

Tyrone book their semi spot

Tyrone 0-15 Monaghan 1-05

ALL-IRELAND MINOR champions Tyrone booked an Ulster semi-final place with a seven-point win at Brewster Park last night.

The Red Hands hit nine points without reply, including two from blood sub Daniel McNulty, who was only on the field for two minutes, and three from Darren McCurry, to lead by 0-9 to 0-2 at half time.

Monaghan substitute Mark McGuirk breathed new life into his side with a 1-2 salvo in the opening eight minutes of the second half.

But the defending champions regrouped and finished strongly with points from subs Enda McGahan and McNulty.

TYRONE: M McReynolds; M McAleer, S Molloy, B Burns; M Heagney (0-2), C McAleer, M Jones; P Barker, N Donaghy; M Cassidy, J Munroe, R Devlin (0-2); D McCurry (0-3, two frees), C McCullagh, S Hackett (0-3). Subs: D McNulty (0-3, one free, one 45) for Donaghy (blood), E McGahan (0-2, both frees) for Cassidy, McNulty for Munroe, R Mayse for McCurry, R Brennan for Heagney, S Quinn for McGahan.

MONAGHAN: C Forde; F Malone, P Finnegan, R Wylie; P Keenan, C Lavelle, B Greenan; J McGuigan, C Boyle (0-1); K Rudden, M Boyce, C Cromwell; T Kerr, F McGeough (0-1), P Greene. Subs: D Courtney for Finnegan, M McGuirk (1-3, three frees) for Kerr

Referee: I Molloy (Donegal).

Anyone know why Ryan Mayse wasn't starting, he has been the top scorer all year for the minors.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Blue06

Leaving Cert exams start every year in the first week of June and run for about 2-3 weeks depending on the subjects being taken.
Most students would sit around 12 - 15  papers in this time.

I don't know the schedule of A Level examinations but I was told there are spread out over a couple months.

In the 70s & 80s the 3 Free State Ulster counties tried to get the Ulster council to change the minor fixtures to be like they are in the other 3 provinces.  i.e. early rounds played in April and Semi Finals & Finals part of double headers with the Seniors. 
The Ulster Council always voted this down 6 - 3.

Then in the early nineties Monaghan minors pulled out of the championship days before their match with Derry(I think) because they would have been unable to field their team.

Since then, some sensible fixture planning has taken place with the 3 Free State counties not playing in the first 3 weeks of June.

Even now its not perfect, Cavan will play Tyrone in the SF the last weekend of June.  They will not have a full panel at training again until a couple of days before that match.

Bogball XV

it's unfair on the players - it denies them possibly the only opportunity they'll ever have of playing a championship game for their county in front of a big crowd.

drici

Minor miracle from comeback kids

Armagh Minor Centre Half forward, Ciarán O'Hanlon heads goalward with Down Centre Half back, Ciarán McCartan in hot pursuit.

Armagh 3-11 Down 5-04

WHAT a game!

Last week we explained that the Minor match between Armagh and Down was a game not to be missed.
On Saturday night we learned why as Armagh rose from the ashes to defeat Down in the most magnificent of manners.
And while that exhilaration felt by every Armagh player is something they may never feel again, the agonising pain of losing is something that will stay the young Down men, but hopefully only as a harsh footballing lesson.

At half time the Orchard buds were a beaten docket, but Paul McShane's men displayed courage and conviction and somehow they provided the mother of all comebacks.

And it wasn't your typical nothing to lose, throw the kitchen sink approach either. It was measured, consistent and comfortable football played with belief and they deserved victory.

At one stage Down led 5-01 to 1-05, and the Mourne men were sure they would be playing Fermanagh in the Ulster Semi Final.

And why wouldn't they? They completely dazzled in the opening half with Australia bound Caolan Mooney taking a hold of the game with his athleticism, vision and eye for scores, while young Burnley-bound lad Shay McCartan bagged a hat-trick, which is an incredible feat.

There can't be too many players who have scored a hat trick in the Ulster Championship and have lost. But these Down lads will bounce back. They are a wonderful bunch of footballers with an abundance of skill as their five goals demonstrated, and most of them will improve with their clubs while some will make the grade into senior level.

It was a game that had to be seen to be believed and actually verged on the ridiculous.
Paul McGeown and Ethan Rafferty opened the scoring for Armagh before Down's Shay McCartan signaled his side's intent by forcing a save from keeper David O'Hagan.

Mooney converted a free on eight minutes to register Down's first score and within three minutes his side added a further two goals.
Firstly Shay McCartan grabbed his first of three goals, after Armagh failed to clear their line and then Mooney pounced with a touch off class, showing his electric pace to beat two Armagh defenders before powerfully firing low and into the net.

With 18 minutes gone Down increased their lead to 3-01 to 0-02 as Shay McCartan easily cut through the Armagh defence to bury into the net.
It seemed every time Down won possession in the forward lines they aimed for goals and it worked as Shay McCartan rattled in another goal.

Armagh manager Paul McShane made a couple of brave decisions to try and change matters, taking off captain Conor White, and replacing him with Sean Hughes and bringing on Crossmaglen's Paul Og Grant for Michael Carson.
And it appeared to have the desired effect as Armagh tagged on three points, with McGeown (free), Rafferty and Michael Murphy all finding the target.

Half Time: Armagh 0-05 Down 4-01

If a comeback looked unlikely at the break it became an almost insurmountable task when Mooney linked up with McArdle and the Burren lad coolly dispatched his effort into the net to give Down an 11-point lead.
If Armagh were to start a fight back they needed a spark and substitute Paul Og Grant duly obliged with a well-taken goal.
McGeown tagged on another point (free) and he almost added a goal, but St Colman's Hogan Cup hero Ryan Johnston cleared off the line.

Still though, Armagh chipped away and McGeown's fifth point left six points between the sides with 20 minutes to play.
Armagh started to attack, with the inspirational Ciaran O'Hanlon taking the game to the Down team and winning frees, which McGeown more often than not converted.

Down grabbed their first score in 15 minutes when Johnny Scannell converted a free and Piaras Murdock settled his side with another fine point.
However, there was more to come from Armagh as Micheal McKenna, the late goal scorer against Derry, shrugged off his marker and blasted into the net leaving four points between the sides.

The large crowd were on their feet cheering their teams on as Scannell fired over his second free for Down.
Three more converted free's from big McGeown left only a point between the sides and when McKenna was upended in the square by Down's Declan Turley, with three minutes remaining, suddenly the impossible came a reality.

As McGeown showed no signs of nerves poking low and left into the net to give Armagh a one point lead, which proved to be enough.
The pitch at the final whistle was a sight of bewilderment, mixed between the exasperation of joy from Armagh and the depths of despair from Down.

Those who witnessed the match couldn't quite grasp what they were after seeing, but it is a game that will be talked about and held as an example for future generations.
When lessons are being taught on not giving up, or for that matter, not taking your points, Saturday's match will be the number one reference guide.

It is a tough lesson for Pete McGrath's men, but plenty of these players are young enough to play Minor football next year and they will do their county proud again.
Armagh though, still have an Ulster Championship in their sights, with a semi-final showdown with Fermanagh on Sunday, June 19. And while Saturday's magical win over Down will instill belief, history also favours the Orchard side.

Having won the Ulster League title, and the Newry Democrat was the only local paper to cover the Final win over Derry which AFS kindly reproduced on the relevant thread, they have joined an elite group of Armagh Minor teams, as the only previous Orchard teams to win the Ulster League was the 1992 team, which reached the All-Ireland Final and of course the 2009 team, who won the All-Ireland title.

And after the epic battle in the Athletic Grounds, silverware is another distant possibility.

Armagh: David O'Hagan, Brendan McCarron, Conor White, Donal O'Neill, Michael Murphy (0-1), Colm Hoey, Diarmuid O'Hagan, Aaron Findon, Ethan Rafferty (0-2), Michael Carson, Ciaran O'Hanlon, Micheal McKenna (1-0), Conor McNally, Paul McGeown (1-08) and Callum Cumiskey.
Subs: Sean Hughes, Paul Og Grant (1-0), Caolan Gough and Patrick Burns.

Down: Rory Miskelly, Declan Turley, Gerard McGovern, Rory Lively, Michael Hughes, Ciaran McCartan, Piaras Murdock (0-1), Shane Harrison, Ryan Johnston, Darragh O'Hanlon, Johhny Scannell (0-2), Caolan Mooney (1-1), Declan Doyle, Shea McArdle (1-0) and Shay McCartan (3-0).
Subs: Sean Cochrane, Rory Burns and Ronan McAlinden.

Beo

Ulster Minor Hurling Championshjp
Semi Final
Derry 0-00 Armagh 0-01
Is Canamhaint mé.

Beo

Is Canamhaint mé.

Beo

Derry 1-06  Armagh 0-06

Half Time
Is Canamhaint mé.

Beo