Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 04, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
I thought it would be close but Dublin would pull away in the last 10-15 mins. Did the fact they weee down to 14 prevent them? Who knows. Kerry played very well and limited some of Dublin's star men. You have to give them credit. I think Fenton was playing with an injury tho.
Fort eh replay I am going to keep faith with my original prediction. Close but Dublin to pull away with ten to go. I don't think Kerry will keep Mannion and Con as quiet again
Maybe not. But I doubt O'Brien, Clifford and especially Geaney will be as quiet either.

lenny

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 04, 2019, 06:33:17 PM
I thought it would be close but Dublin would pull away in the last 10-15 mins. Did the fact they weee down to 14 prevent them? Who knows. Kerry played very well and limited some of Dublin's star men. You have to give them credit. I think Fenton was playing with an injury tho.
Fort eh replay I am going to keep faith with my original prediction. Close but Dublin to pull away with ten to go. I don't think Kerry will keep Mannion and Con as quiet again
I think Jack was bursting for one at half time.

https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1168180821737529345

That was him only jogging!

giveballaghback

Maybe all not well in paradise that is Dublin football. I heard early last week that Fenton had a back injury and the dubs to play an injured player is unthinkable.
What is even more unthinkable is the Connolly situation, he was at the airport heading to usa but was turned back with visa problems and finds himself 8 weeks later on the 26 for an all-ireland final.
This is not what Gavin has preached over the last number of years. Where now is the group, the team, the panel and the rewards that come with committing to the cause.
For the first time I can see a major crack in the Dublin set up, Gavin has thrown his book of ethics out the window and once that happens pieces will start to fall off the good ship that has been Dublin football. They may or may not win the replay but will smiling Jim be at the helm next year? My guess is he wont.

Sportacus

Just one observation on the forwards.  The way Geaney, O'Se and Clifford delay the slip pass until the very last moment is brilliant, pure natural ability and vision.  In contrast Dublin's forwards are more about power, pace and patience, working it cross and back before going for the kill when they work a space.  I was seriously impressed by Kerry's forwards.  They make the replay 50:50.

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 04, 2019, 06:33:57 PM
Maybe not. But I doubt O'Brien, Clifford and especially Geaney will be as quiet either.

That's a fair point. I still think Dublin pull away in the last ten tho

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: giveballaghback on September 04, 2019, 07:01:02 PM
Maybe all not well in paradise that is Dublin football. I heard early last week that Fenton had a back injury and the dubs to play an injured player is unthinkable.
What is even more unthinkable is the Connolly situation, he was at the airport heading to usa but was turned back with visa problems and finds himself 8 weeks later on the 26 for an all-ireland final.
This is not what Gavin has preached over the last number of years. Where now is the group, the team, the panel and the rewards that come with committing to the cause.
For the first time I can see a major crack in the Dublin set up, Gavin has thrown his book of ethics out the window and once that happens pieces will start to fall off the good ship that has been Dublin football. They may or may not win the replay but will smiling Jim be at the helm next year? My guess is he wont.

The talk is the end is in sight for this wonderful Dublin team, no matter what happens I think we'll see 3/4 high profile retirements this winter, Gavin may also go himself should he do the 5....I've no reason other to say Gavin might go other than he doesn't seem to like the high profile the job brings and where else is there to go once you have scaled Everest.

I suspect Dublin will be able to replenish the stock rightly for next season though and they won't be far away once more - How close the others can get after that will be the interesting thing.

As for Connolly / Fenton - they are so talented you play them regardless of the circumstances.

magpie seanie

A key stat for me the other day was that a Dublin team, playing with 14 men since the 30th minute or so, had only used 1 sub by the 66th minute. And it wasn't like everyone was playing well and they were winning comfortably. They certainly don't have the strength in depth relative to themselves in previous years. It's still a good bench but not the real difference makers of other years I'd say.

That's not to write Dublin off....all I'm saying is that there's a slightly bigger opportunity to defeat them that at any time in this recent run. They're still strong favourites.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2019, 11:10:17 AM
A key stat for me the other day was that a Dublin team, playing with 14 men since the 30th minute or so, had only used 1 sub by the 66th minute. And it wasn't like everyone was playing well and they were winning comfortably. They certainly don't have the strength in depth relative to themselves in previous years. It's still a good bench but not the real difference makers of other years I'd say.

That's not to write Dublin off....all I'm saying is that there's a slightly bigger opportunity to defeat them that at any time in this recent run. They're still strong favourites.

Maybe not even that there is a bigger opportunity, it's just there is bigger belief it can be done now.....Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Monaghan....even Cork with the underage success can probably look at Dublin and think the ship is slightly creaking over the next few months....they'll want to be building for the inevitable decline.....what goes up, must come down.

Now if Dublin put 6/7 over Kerry that will be laid to rest somewhat but we'll see what the production line is like in Dublin shortly when they are exposed to the white heat over the next few years.

Blowitupref

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 05, 2019, 03:24:16 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2019, 11:10:17 AM

Maybe not even that there is a bigger opportunity, it's just there is bigger belief it can be done now.....Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Monaghan....even Cork with the underage success can probably look at Dublin and think the ship is slightly creaking over the next few months....they'll want to be building for the inevitable decline.....what goes up, must come down.

Now if Dublin put 6/7 over Kerry that will be laid to rest somewhat but we'll see what the production line is like in Dublin shortly when they are exposed to the white heat over the next few years.
Wouldn't be getting too carried away with Cork underage success yet. The jury remains out at senior level.  They won Munster U21 titles in 2011,12,13,14 and 2016 that should have given the senior set up a type of pick to be established top 6 team but instead they dropped to Div 3 and this year was the first time in years that they reached the last eight of the championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MC

Who are the assumed retirees from the Dublin panel?
I suspect they still have have players coming through and quite a few young players who have already made the team in the last few years will be there for quite a few years yet.

The biggest issue may be replacing Stephen Cluxton - not just for his kickouts but the standards he seems to set for the team in training and everything else.

Armagh18

Quote from: MC on September 05, 2019, 05:46:57 PM
I suspect they still have have players coming through and quite a few young players who have already made the team in the last few years will be there for quite a few years yet.

The biggest issue may be replacing Stephen Cluxton - not just for his kickouts but the standards he seems to set for the team in training and everything else.
probably depends on the result next Sat. Can't see too many wanting to retire on a defeat.

imtommygunn

All this talk will of course be redundant if they blitz Kerry the next day...

Is gavin giving youth enough of a chance ? There is definitely plenty of talent coming through.

Halfquarter

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 05, 2019, 09:05:08 PM
All this talk will of course be redundant if they blitz Kerry the next day...

Is gavin giving youth enough of a chance ? There is definitely plenty of talent coming through.

Does Galvin remind anyone else of Inspector  Jacques Clouseau from the Pink Panther.
The cap pulled down over his face, his collars pulled up over his ears and continuously
speaking into his sleeve ( well, I think it's his sleeve anyway ) .

yellowcard

Quote from: giveballaghback on September 04, 2019, 07:01:02 PM

I think Gavin will quit after the final and 6 or 7 players could go as well. Either way Kerry will start next year as the team to beat.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: MC on September 05, 2019, 05:46:57 PM

I'd have Cluxton, Fitzsimons, McMahon, O'Sullivan, Macauley, Connolly, O'Gara, Brogan, McManamon and Andrews as the probable/possible retirees.