Email Help

Started by passedit, February 29, 2008, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

I been having serious bother with my emails over the past few weeks and i'm basically lookin for some advice as to how to resolve it.

The problem is that some emails i send are not being received and some i've been sent aren't arriving. The non appearances seem to be random so I don't have a clue as to whether the problem lies with my webhost (lycos), my broadband provider (talktalkbusiness) or indeed my network.

Any ideas how i can trace the problem?
Don't Panic

Zapatista

No idea passedit but gmail is the future

Bainisteoir

Quote from: Zapatista on February 29, 2008, 05:31:39 PM
No idea passedit but gmail is the future

Im glad you agree i use it and i have no complaints...Know aload who hate it

passedit

Only prob with that Zap is my emails include the company name and is obviously linked to my website etc, Gmail doesnt really work in a business environment (though neither does random delivery of email, hence the help query).

Right an email sent Fri 29/02/2008 16:09 just turned up there now. Who do I throw the fcuks at the webhost or the broadband provider any ideas?
Don't Panic

imtommygunn

So just to clarify...

Your webhost are presumably the ones who maintain the mail server(s) you go through?

I would call helpdesk / raise an issue via the web-site. I would be surprised were it your broadband - unless they host your mail. All things like this are logged on servers. They should have people who'd be fit to trace things down.

passedit

Thanks ITG, was tinkin it was more likely to be them myself. The reason i asked was my pop server is set up pop.companyname.com wheras my smtp is smtp.talktalk.net, so i'd assumed i receive my email via lycos and send it via talktalk?

Or am i talkin shi ite

Don't Panic

imtommygunn

The protocols used to send and receive mail will be different so you'll have two different servers - one for send and one for receive. (SMTP = send,POP = receive) so that's fairly standard.

Hmm, that's interesting actually. You must be sending your mail through talktalk - based on that hostname.Your pop server will more than likely be an "alias". To be honest this most likely is at your hosting place.

I would recommend you do a few tests:
1. You want to test the sending of mail and test it independently of where you receive it. So I would test sending to another mail account you have seperately of this one (e.g. a hotmail / gmail or whatever)
2. You want to test the receiving of mail and test it independently.So you want to use the hotmail / gmail or whatever to send to your account and test the retrieval of it.

I don't use these kind of set-ups bu do work in IT so would know a wee bit about how things work rather than your set-up but I think your retrieval is from your web-host and your sending is through talk talk based on the host-names you show. Thus if you find a problem in sending contact talk-talk and in receiving contact web-host.

David McKeown

If you want to pm, me I can talk you through a few tests that should identify the problem quickly.  Also what program are you using for the email client.  It would suprise you the number of times Ive seen a bug like this in Outlook
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

passedit

Outlook it is David. I've pm'ed you there.
Don't Panic

Lar Naparka

QuoteThus if you find a problem in sending contact talk-talk and in receiving contact web-host.

From what passedit said at the start there are problems with both sending and receiving so I'd imagine that the problem lies with Gmail itself.
My brother has had the very same experience just a few weeks back and as himself and his mrs. run a B&B he found himself in serious dudu.
Eircom is his ISP and he used their webmail service also.
He got sweet damn all help from their technical dept. either.
He was advised to use topmail.ie instead and that services works fine, so it has not been a broadband problem.
(He still has problems as he has customers who have him listed in their contacts at his original number. He knows he can get in touch with all of them to advise them of the change of email address but he's reluctant to do that as it might seem like touting for business
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi