Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2020, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2020, 03:50:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2020, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2020, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 10, 2020, 02:32:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2020, 02:27:56 PM
No one from a nationalist or republican background will give it a second thought.

By the same token only our parents and grandparents have been truly discriminated against... Be interested in knowing have any posters been discriminated against through education and jobs?

Being picked on by the peelers and army was a given Unfortunately, and even more so if your family was 'involved'

Personally a flag has had no bearing on me to be annoyed about. There's plenty on either side
I am of that generation old enough to have been discriminated against. I won't go in to detail. But I was also fortunate in that my parents would have been relatively better off than our neighbours but still poor.

Didn't even get an interview with NIE back in the day, much to the surprise of my careers teacher back in the day, my first name is a bit of a give away and the job would have been based in Dundonald.

Miss was my mercy

Neither did I or with BT, I did get one with Harlands and Shortts though..

You're a bit older than me though  ;D

Your first name wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb in Dundonald though.

Your home address might though  ;D

Theres a lad that started his apprenticeship in Harlands, has a Senior county Championship medal playing for Rossa, he's called Sean Murphy, can ya imagine lol

what name is on the birth cert?   ;)

Hereiam

Problem is that our tax money will be used to bloody help them celebrate it.

marty34

As I said, any so-called nationalist who uses the term -nothern ireland' needs to have a chat with themselves.

This old, ah, but it makes no difference to me...I'm still Irish, are the type of people who buy into the statelet mentality of 'our wee country' and are the type of people who tick northern irish on their census form.

Most obviously, they're the biggest GAA people about!!

balladmaker

I would never refer to the place I live as NI, why should we acknowledge a failed, sectarian statelet, purposely set up to discriminate and gerrymander with an inbuilt Unionist majority, a Protestant state for a Protestant people .... guess what, 2021 is expected to show a clear nationalist majority in the north.  Our unionist community can at least be assured that they will receive equality in a new Ireland, and be treated a hell of a lot better than they treated Catholics in the first 50 years of their unionist dream state. The first 100 years of this place will also be the last 100 ... I hope I live to see that day.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2020, 05:34:18 PM
As I said, any so-called nationalist who uses the term -nothern ireland' needs to have a chat with themselves.

This old, ah, but it makes no difference to me...I'm still Irish, are the type of people who buy into the statelet mentality of 'our wee country' and are the type of people who tick northern irish on their census form.

But you're bitter, I get that. You can't live alongside prods. Do yourself a favour and relax.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: balladmaker on August 10, 2020, 05:48:30 PM
I would never refer to the place I live as NI, why should we acknowledge a failed, sectarian statelet, purposely set up to discriminate and gerrymander with an inbuilt Unionist majority, a Protestant state for a Protestant people .... guess what, 2021 is expected to show a clear nationalist majority in the north.  Our unionist community can at least be assured that they will receive equality in a new Ireland, and be treated a hell of a lot better than they treated Catholics in the first 50 years of their unionist dream state. The first 100 years of this place will also be the last 100 ... I hope I live to see that day.

Yes, but symbols like the tri colour, Irish anthem, shamrock, harp etc won't be considered as equality in unionist eyes. Look at how the city hall fleg vote panned out. Nationalists wanted a tri colour at Stormont etc. Unionists will behave in the same way. Unionists in a UI might get equality in terms of Jobs, housing, education maybe, but anyone can find an equality issue if you look for it.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2020, 06:10:25 PM

But you're bitter, I get that. You can't live alongside prods. Do yourself a favour and relax.

Me thinks you doth protest too much!!

Maybe made you think about using the term 'northern ireland' and calling yourself a nationalist at the same time - that's not a bad thing.

Eamonnca1

No one from a nationalist or republican background will give it a second thought.

By the same token only our parents and grandparents have been truly discriminated against... Be interested in knowing have any posters been discriminated against through education and jobs?

Being picked on by the peelers and army was a given Unfortunately, and even more so if your family was 'involved'

Personally a flag has had no bearing on me to be annoyed about. There's plenty on either side

I once rang Crazy Prices in Craigavon looking about a summer job as a cleaner that they'd advertised in the paper.

Me: "Hello, I'm calling about the cleaning job that was advertised in the Lurgan Mail."
Him: "What's your name?"
Me: told him my name
Him: "Give us your number and we'll call you back."

I gave him my number and never heard from them. If I said my name was Sammy Braithwaite or Billy Crozier I'm sure he'd have asked how soon I could start. I was only a young cub at the time so I took him at face value, but if I'd known better I'd have reported them to the Fair Employment Commission, for that was fairly blatant.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2020, 02:38:58 PM

Plenty will - most of them use the term 'northern ireland' ffs.

I'll usually say "the north" where the context is clear, at other times I don't mind using the name of the state. I find constructions like "the six counties" and "the north of Ireland" to be a bit clumsy. It reminds me of the people who go out of their way to say "Londonderry."

I certainly don't feel the need to say "Northern Ireland" twenty times in every sentence like Peter Robinson used to do.

Eamonnca1

Just had a chat with myself. I'm okay. I don't feel any less Irish. You can calm down now.

marty34

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 10, 2020, 06:50:35 PM

Just had a chat with myself. I'm okay. I don't feel any less Irish. You can calm down now.

Lol..I've seemed to have touched a raw nerve with the 'ni' thing and their love of the gaa.

imtommygunn

We're all questioning our very existence since you've told us you the rules are you can't be a nationalist and ever have used the term "northern ireland" ;D

Rossfan

Marty will make pure Nationalists out of ye yet ::)

What's he going to do when the new All Ireland State won't be an extension if South Armagh?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Chief

I try to not use the term, "be the change you want to effect" and all that good stuff.

But Marty, wise up.

gallsman

f**k sake, is this really what it's come to!? "I'm such a big f**king chuckie compared to you because I refuse to say Northern Ireland?" It's the lads who use such shite to judge others that need to have a word with themselves.

How are your mates the Wolfe Tones doing, Balladmaker? I don't remember reading too many stories about all the time they did in the Kesh, but sure they shout "up the Ra" a few times a year so let's give them all a big cheer.