Laois SHC 2023

Started by TheGiantSquid, July 31, 2023, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtheroad

I'm not against more teams in principle but I'm finding it hard to figure out that adding two limited teams to the Senior championship is going to make it more competitive other than giving a safety net to some of the teams who fear relegation. The Camross 2nd team nearly beat Ballinakill so you imagine their 1st team would give them a fair beating. If the top clubs put their mind to it, they can give any of the bottom 4 under the current system a hammering. Two more weak teams will only act as cannon fodder. Is that what we want?  5 team groups poses a few challenges, the most obvious is that under our structures nearly every club will go a month without a game as there has to be a bye and that's not counting the picnic. You could have the situation where a team who topped a group and had a bye in the last group game could go six weeks before their semi final. The other challenge is that two teams who get a bye in the first wound could use their players on their second teams mess up the lower grade championships right down to junior. C. Both of these are fixable but Laois is a dual county and both codes have to be accommodated. At senior level clubs like Rosenallis and Abbeyleix have a lot of dual players who may not be as keen on more games.     

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Laois man on August 31, 2023, 10:23:13 PM
Who is your 9s team?

Camross
Clough Ballacolla
Rathdowney Errill
Abbeyleix
Rosenallis
The Harps
Clonaslee
Colt Shanahoe
Mountmellick
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 01, 2023, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: Laois man on August 31, 2023, 10:23:13 PM
Who is your 9s team?

Camross
Clough Ballacolla
Rathdowney Errill
Abbeyleix
Rosenallis
The Harps
Clonaslee
Colt Shanahoe
Mountmellick

So you'd promote Clonaslee and Mountmellick who are currently intermediate,into the senior championship over every team in the Premier Intermediate Championship?

Jesus wept

clonadmad

The reality is that we have 3 top level senior teams and then a gap

We had 4 for a few years with Borris

The question is to how to make it a competitive championship so that we don't have the spectacle of dead rubbers in round 3

My suggestion

10 teams
2 groups of 5
Previous years finalists seeded and drawn into the 2 groups

4 game round robin series and take the games out of O'Moore Park

Everyone gets 2 home games

Group Winner goes to a semi final

Grouo Second plays opposite group third in 2 semifinals with the second team in each group having home advantage

Group Fourth plays opposite group fifth in 2 relegation semis ditto 4th placed teams having home advantage

Relegation final

One goes down,one comes up

It's immaterial whether you call it premier intermediate or intermediate

It's the second level and the winner plays in the provincial intermediate championship.

Keyser Söze

Sarcasm ffs.
Stick to the exposés.

Groups of 5 = more meaningless games + a bigger safety net.
This can't be good.

From the Terrace

Leave it at 8 imo. Rename premier intermediate to intermediate & so on thus bringing in junior D. Also would like to scrap the group system - as round 3 this year was largely meaningles games, go back to system few years ago - winners group & losers group. I would seed the semi finalists. Just my two pence worth.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: From the Terrace on September 02, 2023, 10:15:40 AM
Leave it at 8 imo. Rename premier intermediate to intermediate & so on thus bringing in junior D. Also would like to scrap the group system - as round 3 this year was largely meaningles games, go back to system few years ago - winners group & losers group. I would seed the semi finalists. Just my two pence worth.

100%.

GAABoardMod5

Reminder that personal feuds will result in both parties being banned permanently.

Laois man

Qfinals in the senior hurling this weekend. You would have to go for Cbolla with a bit to spare and Aleix. Aleix v Rosenallis could be close do. Any up date on back room team for our County senior hurlers?

Keyser Söze

I think Abbeyleix also.
They are the makings of a fine side. Likely to be knocking around the last 4 for the foreseeable.
The other game will certainly be double figures.
Could well be 25+

Castletown, like The Harps & Borris Kilcotton (and possibly even Rosenallis) have not been good.
Those teams need to the pressure of an 8 team championship to improve or go down.
Those who remember the championships of the 1990s into the early 2000s, the likes of Clonad and Errill were very poor but surviving because there was 10 or 12 teams.
It did nothing to improve the standard or competitive nature.

8 teams is what we have. Max.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 05, 2023, 10:38:41 PM
I think Abbeyleix also.
They are the makings of a fine side. Likely to be knocking around the last 4 for the foreseeable.
The other game will certainly be double figures.
Could well be 25+

Castletown, like The Harps & Borris Kilcotton (and possibly even Rosenallis) have not been good.
Those teams need to the pressure of an 8 team championship to improve or go down.
Those who remember the championships of the 1990s into the early 2000s, the likes of Clonad and Errill were very poor but surviving because there was 10 or 12 teams.
It did nothing to improve the standard or competitive nature.

8 teams is what we have. Max.
Have to agree. 10 team competition will only make it easier for the bottom 4 clubs to survive. The relegation final for the last number of years has been more competitive than most matches.   

Laois Rising

Ideally, I would like to see a 6 team championship with two regional teams making up the 8. It would result in a very competitive senior championship with every hurler in the county worth their salt getting opportunity to play competitive senior championship games.

The only problem would be playing the intermediate, junior championships at separate times to the senior championship to allow players field for their regional team in the senior championship. Adding two extra clubs to the senior championship to make it a 10 club championship is ridiculous. It is only being proposed to add a safety net for middling senior clubs. The county board should hold firm on this. What you do not want is the hurling championship to turn into the Laois football championship-half the teams in it have absolutely no chance of winning the championship and it results in weeks on meaningless games to get to quarter finals.

Laois man

Can't ever see Regional teams going into senior Cship maybe I am wrong. We are talking about too many teams in the hurling 16 in the senior fball is some joke.

seafoid

Quote from: Laois man on September 06, 2023, 01:33:36 PM
Can't ever see Regional teams going into senior Cship maybe I am wrong. We are talking about too many teams in the hurling 16 in the senior fball is some joke.
It's about quality rather than numbers of teams and brining up the standard of Laois hurling
You could call the teams amalgamated instead of regional. They do it in Cork and Kerry.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

burdizzo

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2023, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: Laois man on September 06, 2023, 01:33:36 PM
It's about quality rather than numbers of teams and brining up the standard of Laois hurling
You could call the teams amalgamated instead of regional. They do it in Cork and Kerry.

They are far bigger counties. Do they do it in any county comparable in size to Laois?