Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 01, 2017, 10:14:14 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 01, 2017, 09:26:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 08:52:26 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 01, 2017, 08:37:22 PM
Family time???? For the love of Jesus. Poor Mayo playing football every week in the summer and their poor fans watching high quality sport every weekend. Why hasn't somebody organised a concert to help them in this time of tragedy?

Says the lad who has No COUNTY and goes to NO GAMES!

Your fellow countymen also dismissed your ridiculous hyperbole in posts just after me. When I did live in Ireland I attended regularly by the way and when I bring my club underage teams to tournaments it costs me hundreds of pounds per year as we usually have to travel hundreds of miles for tournaments and stay overnight so spare me your moaning about a trip to bloody Dublin.

Ah, sure we all do that! Those one off events. Great fun! But here we are having days out where in my case you are dealing with Multiples of 5 (if you bring the family). Croke Park and Dublin are not user friendly when it comes to Families. Family tickets are usually located in the Davin and Don't dare even think about buying food. If you are foolish enough to go by train it's more fun!

The GAA showed total disregard for (the loyal) Mayo supporters especially by having this game in Croke Park a day before they go back to work on a Bank Holiday Weekend. Two decent venues in Connacht that could have facilitated the game and brought a bit of Revenue to one of those towns. But you have no worries about any of these issues. It's on the TV, you'll be grand!

You don't have tournaments as costly as ours to attend so get off that high horse, I and many others abroad have to pay huge money to promote our games.

You have a choice about attending games. I was at the Cork game and while there was a great Mayo crowd there it wasn't as big as what attended last Sunday so if cost is an issue you can watch one game on TV. Now that's not to say I'm not sympathetic of the cost to families going to games and I'd have no issue if the replay was in Connacht but spare me your nonsense regarding the super 8. We want more games and this is a great time to be a Mayo supporter and I'm sure everyone is enjoying it even if the credit card is getting s bit of a hammering.

Of course I have a choice as such! But being a Season ticket holder, You are debited unless you use your Opt out option. I missed my Second Mayo Match last weekend - using the opt out. The only other game I missed was the Kerry League game. The constant Weekends of games has an effect on the kids training and chill out time. Getting to and from venues the last couple of weeks has been serious work. I am football mad! And love to go to games. But there are beginning to be to many games anymore in the Summer. The cost is another thing.  And the GAA are pumping up the prices. This I feel could be the last year of me having a Season Ticket. The Super 8 is the Big turnoff, It will add 2 more games to the year and I can see the boys in headquarters pull a few fast strokes in regards to prices and venues. I'm sure Sky will have an input into it aswell, so for the common supporter things won't get better.

Also Season Ticket holders Seats in Croke park get poorer and poorer each year. Won't be long until we are in the Davin with the Family tickets soon!

Nonsense, I know Tyrone are in 305/306 this weekend! Couldnt ask for better.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 01, 2017, 10:41:06 PM
There are a few issues there and I understand what you're saying in most respects but I don't agree that the super 8 is bad due to too many extra games. Players want them, supporters want them and the game needs them. Yes, some supporters will have to pick and choose their games but that's life. Surely, it's better to have more games even if you have to watch some of them on TV?

It just favours Dublin and Bored Dublin fans. Everybody else it is just a nuisance and another money making racket by the GAA. To think Dublin could lose two games next year and end up AI Champions! How depressing is that? Not for you or Dublin fans naturally. ;)

Esmarelda

There are a few issues there and I understand what you're saying in most respects but I don't agree that the super 8 is bad due to too many extra games. Players want them, supporters want them and the game needs them. Yes, some supporters will have to pick and choose their games but that's life. Surely, it's better to have more games even if you have to watch some of them on TV?
Exactly. In fairness I'm impressed with the originality and variety with which people are able to criticise this proposal, twelve months before it begins.

armaghniac

Sure even watching them on TV has become complicated, it is easier to go to the game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aughafad

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 08:07:36 PM
Super 8 shows us how the Month of August will be destroyed for family time. Mayo fans have had a taste of week after week of consecutive games. All costing great amounts of Money and Time. Dublin will have no worries as their three Super 8 games as well as the AI semi final and Final will be all home games and cost them less in terms of money and time.

No they won't, as the rules voted in at congress state each team will have one game in croke park, one game at home and one away game which cannot be croke park.

In theory Dublin will have one game in croke park, one in Parnell and one in somewhere such as Castlebar.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Aughafad on August 01, 2017, 11:37:14 PM
Super 8 shows us how the Month of August will be destroyed for family time. Mayo fans have had a taste of week after week of consecutive games. All costing great amounts of Money and Time. Dublin will have no worries as their three Super 8 games as well as the AI semi final and Final will be all home games and cost them less in terms of money and time.

No they won't, as the rules voted in at congress state each team will have one game in croke park, one game at home and one away game which cannot be croke park.

In theory Dublin will have one game in croke park, one in Parnell and one in somewhere such as Castlebar.

Sounds Super Duper! Where is Parnell Park? Does it have a Press Box?

Syferus

Quote from: Aughafad on August 01, 2017, 11:37:14 PM

Best joke I've heard all year.

From the Bunker

Wouldn't it be some craic if there was a three way tie for second place in one of the Groups in the Super Duper 8!

The GAA could scam three more games in a round robin play off. Or would away scores come into play. That would be fun! ;)

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 11:49:07 PM
Wouldn't it be some craic if there was a three way tie for second place in one of the Groups in the Super Duper 8!

The GAA could scam three more games in a round robin play off. Or would away scores come into play. That would be fun! ;)

I can only imagine how diminished Sunday's match would have been had it been a AIQF next year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on August 01, 2017, 11:52:50 PM

I can only imagine how diminished Sunday's match would have been had it been a AIQF next year.

Sundays game would have meant nothing, well not as much as it did! Both would have trotted off to get ready to play another game that they probably could afford to probably draw or even lose. Exciting stuff!

Then there is the final sets of games where you have two teams already through to the Semi-finals and two teams with nothing to play for!

In other words four teams with nothing to play for!

armaghniac

This super 8 craic might drive one back to Season Ticket, if you thought there was a chance of Armagh getting in (and given their improvement there is such a chance) and of Dublin/Kerry etc coming to Armagh, then tickets might be scarce.

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 11:42:40 PM
Sounds Super Duper! Where is Parnell Park? Does it have a Press Box?

Not sure about a press box, but it has a serious number of jacks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 11:22:01 PM

It just favours Dublin and Bored Dublin fans. Everybody else it is just a nuisance and another money making racket by the GAA. To think Dublin could lose two games next year and end up AI Champions! How depressing is that? Not for you or Dublin fans naturally. ;)

It's a nuisance to see more games involving your county in the summer? Ok so, I guess you can't wait until Mayo fall back into the pack so and won't have these nuisance games.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 11:57:12 PM

Sundays game would have meant nothing, well not as much as it did! Both would have trotted off to get ready to play another game that they probably could afford to probably draw or even lose. Exciting stuff!

Then there is the final sets of games where you have two teams already through to the Semi-finals and two teams with nothing to play for!

Jesus lads, yer great craic altogether. So after drawing the first game you can afford to lose your second game, how does that work? And both groups will always end up with final rounds with nothing to play for, no other options?

The super 8 isn't perfect but is worth trying given the limitations imposed on Duffy.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on August 02, 2017, 12:32:50 AM

Jesus lads, yer great craic altogether. So after drawing the first game you can afford to lose your second game, how does that work? And both groups will always end up with final rounds with nothing to play for, no other options?

The super 8 isn't perfect but is worth trying given the limitations imposed on Duffy.

Duffy's only limitation is his imagination.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 02, 2017, 12:32:50 AM

Example    Kerry Beat Galway
                Mayo draw Rossies
                Kerry beat Rossies
                Galway beat Mayo
                Kerry already through put B team out against Mayo and lose
                Rossies Beat Galway

Kerry Qualified

Mayo and Rossies finish level on points and Score difference - What do you do?

Scenario two

Kerry Beat Galway
                Mayo Beat Rossies
                Kerry beat Rossies
                Galway lose to Mayo
                Kerry already through put B team out against Mayo already through put B team
                Rossies v Galway who cares?