Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Brilliant idea, really looking forward to it.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on March 01, 2017, 01:04:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 01, 2017, 12:50:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 01, 2017, 12:42:39 PM
Where did the Super 8 slogan come from? Media? I assumed it wasn't an official title.

Should be Elite Eight anyway. Like March Madness

More like Dublin + the Severely Substandard Seven.
But there's only 1 county Roscommon.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Keyser soze

Quote from: didlyi on March 02, 2017, 11:59:04 PM
Quote from: Gold on March 02, 2017, 11:36:20 PM
There will be some amount of dead rubber 3rd games. Teams who have won twice and qualified top alreadye putting out reserve sides for their 3rd match

Shite plan, not properly thought through

We could even see 2 teams playing for a draw to  qualify

Thks is championship football ffs

Agree with everything......and theres nothing worse than a dead rubber game at that late stage of a championship.

That's it in a nutshell.

These problems had arisen in various counties that tried round robin previously so didn't require much more than some basic research to identify some pretty significant potential drawbacks. The fact that Duffy is manifestly unable to identify these is atypical of your average GAA adminstrator. Get a bright idea, [usually shamelessly plagiarized from another sport] and get it pushed through without the slightest consideration that there might be some negatives associated with it.

Rossfan

A lot if not most Counties have group stages in their Championships
BUT they have them at the start not 3 Quarters way through.
As I've said before then new system is voted in by the Congress, is there for 3 years so it's up to those opposed to it to
1 - devise and agree a better alternative
2- sell it to the GAA membership and County Boards
3- get it to Congress 2019 with a view to introducing it for Championship 2021.

Or we can rant in the media, twitter GAAboard etc etc
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Disappointing but not surprising that this came in. We've tied ourselves to only the second change to our championship in our history for the next three years, which ultimately will be abandoned. Round robins don't work in our championships, we saw that previously when we had round robins in the hurling championship where teams were beaten two or three times but were still in the championship. It'll now be possible for teams to get beaten three times but still make the AI semi finals. Hopefully the CPA can bang enough heads together and come up with a workable solution in the next few months. If Duffy then puts half the effort behind a workable solution that he put behind this proposal a special congress next Autumn could see that this farce will never see the light of day.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on March 03, 2017, 10:23:33 AM
A lot if not most Counties have group stages in their Championships
BUT they have them at the start not 3 Quarters way through.
As I've said before then new system is voted in by the Congress, is there for 3 years so it's up to those opposed to it to
1 - devise and agree a better alternative
2- sell it to the GAA membership and County Boards
3- get it to Congress 2019 with a view to introducing it for Championship 2021.

Or we can rant in the media, twitter GAAboard etc etc

Can you name some counties that do? I asked about this a week ago and only Kildare, with a backdoor system, and Roscommon have a round robin sytem. It certainly isnt popular in Ulster. Derry tried it and it was a complete bollocks of a system, same as Duffys will be.

AZOffaly

Offaly has Round Robin, Tipperary has Round Robin.

Jinxy

We've group stages in Meath.
3 groups of 6.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Pay attention Keyser. .I listed a scatter of them last week - all Connacht Cavan Meath Offaly Westmeath off the top of my head. Think Wexford also.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on March 03, 2017, 11:38:44 AM
Pay attention Keyser. .I listed a scatter of them last week - all Connacht Cavan Meath Offaly Westmeath off the top of my head. Think Wexford also.

Waterford has as well.

Zulu

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 03, 2017, 10:01:50 AM
There will be some amount of dead rubber 3rd games. Teams who have won twice and qualified top alreadye putting out reserve sides for their 3rd match

Agree with everything......and theres nothing worse than a dead rubber game at that late stage of a championship.

That's it in a nutshell.

These problems had arisen in various counties that tried round robin previously so didn't require much more than some basic research to identify some pretty significant potential drawbacks. The fact that Duffy is manifestly unable to identify these is atypical of your average GAA adminstrator. Get a bright idea, [usually shamelessly plagiarized from another sport] and get it pushed through without the slightest consideration that there might be some negatives associated with it.

I've been accused of lacking respect for other opinions by labelling them rubbish but this is another example of the nonsense that is coming out of people criticising this.

Keyser do you genuinely believe that Pauric Duffy and numerous other senior GAA administrators never considered that a round robin format could lead to some dead rubber games? If so, then you are simply posting nonsense.

Of course there could, and will, be some dead rubbers but we could also have some tremendous last round games with teams needing to win and maybe win by 3 or 4 points to qualify while their opponents need at least a draw. If there is going to be hammerings and loads of dead rubbers when the best 8 teams meet then that's a clear admission that we have a handful of teams way ahead of everyone else so there isn't any format that will change that. However, I don't agree with the doom and gloom merchants. We could have two groups like this - Mayo, Kerry, Monaghan & Kildare and Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal & Galway. At the moment we probably have 6 competitive teams but there's no reason that one or two more can't close the gap. The above groups would be very competitive and While Dublin may be playing Kildare in a dead rubber Mayo and Kerry will be meeting in a do or die game.

The reason I have no time for the majority of criticism of the super 8's is because it is a decent proposal if you have to keep the provincials and if you want to get more structure and more games between the big teams. This format helps clubs and can help the weaker counties by giving them more money/resources (you know, the thing many on here claim is vital to closing the gap between the big teams and the rest) as a result of the revenue generated by the new games.

It's not, nor has it ever been promoted, as the solution to all problems so why people keep criticising it for what it's not is beyond me.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Zulu on March 03, 2017, 01:00:46 PM

That's it in a nutshell.

I've been accused of lacking respect for other opinions by labelling them rubbish but this is another example of the nonsense that is coming out of people criticising this.

Keyser do you genuinely believe that Pauric Duffy and numerous other senior GAA administrators never considered that a round robin format could lead to some dead rubber games? If so, then you are simply posting nonsense.

Of course there could, and will, be some dead rubbers but we could also have some tremendous last round games with teams needing to win and maybe win by 3 or 4 points to qualify while their opponents need at least a draw. If there is going to be hammerings and loads of dead rubbers when the best 8 teams meet then that's a clear admission that we have a handful of teams way ahead of everyone else so there isn't any format that will change that. However, I don't agree with the doom and gloom merchants. We could have two groups like this - Mayo, Kerry, Monaghan & Kildare and Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal & Galway. At the moment we probably have 6 competitive teams but there's no reason that one or two more can't close the gap. The above groups would be very competitive and While Dublin may be playing Kildare in a dead rubber Mayo and Kerry will be meeting in a do or die game.

The reason I have no time for the majority of criticism of the super 8's is because it is a decent proposal if you have to keep the provincials and if you want to get more structure and more games between the big teams. This format helps clubs and can help the weaker counties by giving them more money/resources (you know, the thing many on here claim is vital to closing the gap between the big teams and the rest) as a result of the revenue generated by the new games.

It's not, nor has it ever been promoted, as the solution to all problems so why people keep criticising it for what it's not is beyond me.

Or all 4 final round games could just as easily be dead rubbers!

Rossfan

Or the sky could fall in. ....

Keyser soze

Sky could fall out if they hafta hype dead rubbers lol 

Zulu

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 03, 2017, 02:29:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 03, 2017, 01:00:46 PM

That's it in a nutshell.

Or all 4 final round games could just as easily be dead rubbers!

And the premiership is sometimes over with weeks to go, the last round of the six nations is sometimes irrelevant to who will be champions etc. Is the bar being set at perfect?