Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: criostlinn on February 24, 2017, 08:42:59 PM
If people just keep looking at the negatives in every system we will never change. No system is perfect but at least they are trying something. I say give it a go and see what happens.

All this focus on the weaker counties not getting enough from it. That maybe true, but what are they getting at the moment. The only way to address this is to have a second tier competition and then they get to play teams of equal ability all year. But its my impression they don't want this and it certainly wouldn't have been any good to Tipperary last year.   So what next. Maybe a handicap system. Give Clare a 10 point start against Kerry. The Rossies a 15 point start against Mayo, etc etc. At the end of the day what ever system comes in, it should be about the best team winning.  Supporting weaker counties should be done off the pitch with funding and promotional work. Try ad bring them up to the level of teh stronger teams.  It should not be about handicapping stronger teams to bring everyone down to the same level.

This arguement about this super 8 system only suiting the strong teams. Last year Kerry waltzed into the Semi Final without breaking a sweat. Many (mainly Tymonies) rightly complained. If we had a super 8 system last year they would have been into a group with Ddublin, Donegal and Clare. Would they have made the Semi Final from this. Maybe. But it wouldn't have been as easy.

But above all. This new systems gives the media a greater chance of having 2 Dublin-Kerry love ins every year. One in the Super 8 and another in the All Ireland final. They'll be righting ballads and books for years about the time the Dubs toppled the Kingdom in Killarney. For that alone we cant let this opportunity pass. Vote yes

Because it's better than what's currently there does not make it the best option.
Rather than implementing a seriously flawed system now, would we not be better to wait another year with the aim of implementing a far superior system.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

manfromdelmonte

I still don't understand what the positives of it are?

more games? for a very small bunch of counties. the elite just getting better.
it should be more games for more counties, then run off the knockout stages.

more money? surely more games at an earlier stage would do that too?

more media coverage? is that how GAA competitions are now measured?
cause RTE are just terrible at GAA coverage.

Jinxy

Don't worry.
RTE will probably only be covering half of these games.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

I understand the document talks about the calendar and shortening the season  but specifically what is the bennfit of the new groups? Is it purely financial? Is it to give the media more games to cover?

Jinxy

Improve 'the product'.
More 'high quality' games.
Increase visibility.
Increase revenue.
Etc.

AZOffaly

Is that just your spin on it? It does sound like that's the main reason behind it alright

Jinxy

That's just me imagining how McKenna sold it to Duffy.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2017, 09:58:01 PM
I understand the document talks about the calendar and shortening the season  but specifically what is the bennfit of the new groups? Is it purely financial? Is it to give the media more games to cover?

To get the top teams playing each other more often during a season? I think that could be good. Maybe in this scenario every team will earn their semi final place and avoid a situation like last year were Kerry had to beat Clare then Tipp then Clare to get to an AI semi final?  I'm no particular fan of the idea but I think perhaps the main reason is to dip the toes into a league type format in the championship. Changing things very quickly doesn't tend to happen in the GAA and I think this is a stepping stone to further change......maybe in 40 years time.
That was never a square ball!!

Esmarelda

Sorry, I must try to split the whole proposal from the Super 8 part.

I don't have it in front of me but the two reasons I recall reading are that the provincial winners get a second chance (they were the only teams that didn't previously up to the Q/F) and it makes it harder for the likes of Kerry to win the AI as their route to the SF would be much tougher than it is currently.

I think it might also state the benefits to the lesser teams that make the last eight of getting a big gun in a home draw and the general exposure to playing the better teams.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 24, 2017, 10:17:03 PM

I think it might also state the benefits to the lesser teams that make the last eight of getting a big gun in a home draw and the general exposure to playing the better teams.

The chances of say a minnow like Kildare ever being allowed to have a home game against the Dubs is laughable in the extreme.

criostlinn

Quote from: Tubberman on February 24, 2017, 09:46:03 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on February 24, 2017, 08:42:59 PM
If people just keep looking at the negatives in every system we will never change. No system is perfect but at least they are trying something. I say give it a go and see what happens.

All this focus on the weaker counties not getting enough from it. That maybe true, but what are they getting at the moment. The only way to address this is to have a second tier competition and then they get to play teams of equal ability all year. But its my impression they don't want this and it certainly wouldn't have been any good to Tipperary last year.   So what next. Maybe a handicap system. Give Clare a 10 point start against Kerry. The Rossies a 15 point start against Mayo, etc etc. At the end of the day what ever system comes in, it should be about the best team winning.  Supporting weaker counties should be done off the pitch with funding and promotional work. Try ad bring them up to the level of teh stronger teams.  It should not be about handicapping stronger teams to bring everyone down to the same level.

This arguement about this super 8 system only suiting the strong teams. Last year Kerry waltzed into the Semi Final without breaking a sweat. Many (mainly Tymonies) rightly complained. If we had a super 8 system last year they would have been into a group with Ddublin, Donegal and Clare. Would they have made the Semi Final from this. Maybe. But it wouldn't have been as easy.

But above all. This new systems gives the media a greater chance of having 2 Dublin-Kerry love ins every year. One in the Super 8 and another in the All Ireland final. They'll be righting ballads and books for years about the time the Dubs toppled the Kingdom in Killarney. For that alone we cant let this opportunity pass. Vote yes

Because it's better than what's currently there does not make it the best option.
Rather than implementing a seriously flawed system now, would we not be better to wait another year with the aim of implementing a far superior system.

No doubt wait another year or two for that matter for a far superior system if one is available but I can guarantee you no matter what is suggested fault will be found in it.

I for the life of me cannot see a system, that is not 2 tier, that will make weaker counties more competitive. Don't get me wrong I'm all for trying to help the so called weaker counties make the breakthrough but I don't see how rigging a competition to do this will help anyone.  Can anyone show me the ideal format that everyone will support. And please spare me the 2 tier "Tommy Murphy" competitions and the scrapping the provincial championships because we know these are non runner

rrhf

The big question is: if they change the name. Could a team like Mayo actually win a super 8 final?

tippabu

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 24, 2017, 10:09:51 PM

To get the top teams playing each other more often during a season? I think that could be good. Maybe in this scenario every team will earn their semi final place and avoid a situation like last year were Kerry had to beat Clare then Tipp then Clare to get to an AI semi final?  I'm no particular fan of the idea but I think perhaps the main reason is to dip the toes into a league type format in the championship. Changing things very quickly doesn't tend to happen in the GAA and I think this is a stepping stone to further change......maybe in 40 years time.
don't they do that already?
its called the national football league

Cunny Funt

Quote from: tippabu on February 25, 2017, 10:58:31 AM
Motion passed
Not surprising, men in suits with money/greed on their minds was always going to pass that motion. To hell with club football and the weaker counties in the AI championship sure what do they matter.