Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2019, 11:49:44 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 26, 2019, 10:53:16 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2019, 10:05:42 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 26, 2019, 09:47:52 AM
Eoin Murphy out with an injury in a club game would be a huge blow for Kilkenny.

Where they're at in their development means getting out of Leinster is not a formality especially if Dublin continue to improve under Matty Kenny.

If Cody doesn't make the top three in Leinster then I can see him going.
Top 3 should be doable this year

It won't be straight forward though.

Who's your three?

KK
Galway
Wexford or the Dubs.

KK
Galway
Perhaps the Dubs

I think the cat brand is still worth 4 points in a tight match against a developing team.

Wexford won't fear the Cats but, have the physical upper hand atm and they have them at home in the last round..

These two games will define Kilkenny's year. Not win both and they're gone as I expect Galway to beat them without Joe.

Dublin have now got a settled spine in their team, a fullback as good as anyone in the game and will give Kilkenny their fill of it.

Round 1 (Round Robin)
1.   Kilkenny   v   Dublin   11.5.2019   Nowlan Park   7.00pm
Round 5 (Round Robin)
1.   Wexford   v   Kilkenny    15.6.2019   Innovate Wexford Park   7.00pm

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 26, 2019, 12:06:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2019, 11:49:44 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 26, 2019, 10:53:16 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2019, 10:05:42 AM
Eoin Murphy out with an injury in a club game would be a huge blow for Kilkenny.

Where they're at in their development means getting out of Leinster is not a formality especially if Dublin continue to improve under Matty Kenny.

Top 3 should be doable this year

It won't be straight forward though.

Who's your three?

KK
Galway
Wexford or the Dubs.

KK
Galway
Perhaps the Dubs

I think the cat brand is still worth 4 points in a tight match against a developing team.

Wexford won't fear the Cats but, have the physical upper hand atm and they have them at home in the last round..

These two games will define Kilkenny's year. Not win both and they're gone as I expect Galway to beat them without Joe.

Dublin have now got a settled spine in their team, a fullback as good as anyone in the game and will give Kilkenny their fill of it.

Round 1 (Round Robin)
1.   Kilkenny   v   Dublin   11.5.2019   Nowlan Park   7.00pm
Round 5 (Round Robin)
1.   Wexford   v   Kilkenny    15.6.2019   Innovate Wexford Park   7.00pm

Wexford haven't really delivered on their potential imo.Anyway it is good to see a competitive situation in Leinster
I wish the GAA would pump as much money into Ulster hurling as they did in Dublin
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Leinster should be really good this year - Dubs, Kk, Wexford and Galway all in the running - no disrespect to the others.

No Scruff or Cillian Buckley. Delaney out at start. Cats glad to have T.J. and the lads back.

Dublin, always improving under Kenny, should give everybody their fill of it.  In fairness, they should have beat KK in PP last year but they lost Keaney at a crucial time.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 07:13:12 PM

Leinster should be really good this year - Dubs, Kk, Wexford and Galway all in the running - no disrespect to the others.

No Scruff or Cillian Buckley. Delaney out at start. Cats glad to have T.J. and the lads back.

Dublin, always improving under Kenny, should give everybody their fill of it.  In fairness, they should have beat KK in PP last year but they lost Keaney at a crucial time.
By others, you mean Carlow

marty34

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 26, 2019, 11:47:03 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 07:13:12 PM

By others, you mean Carlow

Yes.

manfromdelmonte

I expect Carlow to give every game a right good rattle.
It's good for the game to see them up there.

When you think that there is more hurling in kildare, Westmeath, offaly, Laois and Meath then there is an opportunity for those counties to get up there

marty34

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 27, 2019, 07:31:01 AM

When you think that there is more hurling in kildare, Westmeath, offaly, Laois and Meath then there is an opportunity for those counties to get up there

I agree. They'll give it a good rattle but, in my opinion, I think that playing tough championship games on a regular basis will test their panel. Being out nearly week on week is tough going.

One of their problems for me is disclipline - they need to settle the heads in big games.  Always prone to red cards. Bonnar needs to sort that I think.  Hard enough to play with 15!

I think the Joe Mc Donagh competition is a super competition - not much between the teams.  Only problem is no tv coverage.  Gaa needs to get it covered by a live game every week and a highlights show on Sundsy evening.  There's a market for it but the Gaa, for whatever reason, seem disinterested.

Personally, I'd give it to TG4.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on April 27, 2019, 08:08:55 AM

I agree. They'll give it a good rattle but, in my opinion, I think that playing tough championship games on a regular basis will test their panel. Being out nearly week on week is tough going.

One of their problems for me is disclipline - they need to settle the heads in big games.  Always prone to red cards. Bonnar needs to sort that I think.  Hard enough to play with 15!

I think the Joe Mc Donagh competition is a super competition - not much between the teams.  Only problem is no tv coverage.  Gaa needs to get it covered by a live game every week and a highlights show on Sundsy evening.  There's a market for it but the Gaa, for whatever reason, seem disinterested.

Good shout for McDonagh cup, nothing between the teams, very impressed with the standard, well below the top five but it's a target for these upcoming teams. TG4 should as you say get coverage.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2019, 01:52:17 PM

Good shout for McDonagh cup, nothing between the teams, very impressed with the standard, well below the top five but it's a target for these upcoming teams. TG4 should as you say get coverage.

But probably too late for this year though.

manfromdelmonte

GAA top brass don't really care about those other competitions

marty34

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 28, 2019, 10:42:09 PM
GAA top brass don't really care about those other competitions

It's areal pity as it's a great competition.

johnnycool

They do seem to struggle with this, but as we all know referees forget about the rules as the championship rolls on in the year.  ;)

CP don't give a shit about hurling outside the top tier, in fact Carlow are a nuisance in beating Offaly as Carlow won't bring a decent support to any games....

LooseCannon

Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2019, 09:54:59 AM

They do seem to struggle with this, but as we all know referees forget about the rules as the championship rolls on in the year.  ;)

CP don't give a shit about hurling outside the top tier, in fact Carlow are a nuisance in beating Offaly as Carlow won't bring a decent support to any games....

In fairness, for our title, the Faithful County, our following is putrid. Not saying that I go to every game or anything like it, but I do my best, circumstances permitting.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-kilkenny-s-leaders-delivered-right-on-cue-1.3960660

"When I played for Kilkenny, we always prided ourselves on going for the jugular when the chance arose. Go out, score early, score early after half-time, kill teams off. All of it designed to fulfil the pre-game doubts that opposition teams had when they played us.

When the need is greatest, the leaders step up. No matter how they are performing up to that point, they hunt the ball down, make something happen. It can be anything – a hook, a shoulder, a difficult free. Subs play a huge role and Walter Walsh and Billy Ryan did that on Sunday.
Different players have different triggers. Sometimes verbal, sometimes visual. I always listened out for the 63rd minute, when the stadium announcer would send the stewards to their end-of-match positions. That always gave me a huge boost.
I would be starting to lag on energy, gasping for oxygen after a gruelling game shadowing a top player. I'd be starting to feel the blisters bleeding underfoot, sucking for air. But I always found strength in the stadium announcer.
It meant I could now see the finish line. Just one more push and we are there. Looking up at the scoreboard at that time and seeing us ahead for a second was a big refocus juncture. I always wanted to meet whoever that chap was in Croke Park to thank him for his words of inspiration, even though he couldn't have known.
He was probably a Kilkenny man!"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Kilkenny will come up short next day out. I'd be very surprised if Limerick allow themselves to fall into the trap of thinking they are already in the final. Be a tighter game than expected and Kilkenny's win over a fancied (I didn't fancy Cork) Cork team will have refocused the heads and brought them down a level, considering how well Cork handled Limerick this year.

Looking forward to it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea