The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: restorepride on February 14, 2021, 04:58:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 14, 2021, 04:56:48 PM
Quote from: restorepride on February 14, 2021, 04:55:30 PM
Burns clearly wasn't given a head assessment before the game.  To mess up one?  But being allowed to mess up 2?

What are you talking about?
You should have watched the game!  He was brutal and another crucial error.
Go on I'll bite. What crucial error? His missed one kick that he probably should have got, but got the gimme one a few minutes later. He went off injured at the start of the 2nd half with a bang to the head and it was JGP at fault for the 1st french try, not him

sid waddell

You'd miss Rugby After Dark with Bill O'Herlihy, Mick Doyle and Ned van Esbeck, which was a fixture in the early 90s when Ireland were poor

Doyle would f**king rip into the the two Murphys who were coaching Ireland at the time, and have really personal digs at a lot of players, especially Neil Francis and Denis McBride

I'd love to hear what he'd say about Andy Farrell

Ironically Francis is the closest to a Doyle type figure in the press these days

France and Scotland have the best coaching teams in this tournament - Galthie and Townsend are top class

Eddie Jones may have stayed too long, that's debatable, but he's still a formidable coach

Even the Wales guy seems willing to give youngsters their head

But we don't seem to do that at all and I don't think the players are on board with the Farrell set up, the hole thing is so dull

We're looking down the barrel of an old style whitewash - ie. losing to the other Five Nations teams, for the first time since 1998

Pat Lam could be getting a call this summer

RedHand88

No doubt there will be a standing ovation on the Late Late this Friday anyway.

restorepride

Quote from: dublin7 on February 14, 2021, 05:02:42 PM
Burns clearly wasn't given a head assessment before the game.  To mess up one?  But being allowed to mess up 2?

Go on I'll bite. What crucial error? His missed one kick that he probably should have got, but got the gimme one a few minutes later. He went off injured at the start of the 2nd half with a bang to the head and it was JGP at fault for the 1st french try, not him
So let's do the Mathematics - Ireland loose by 2 and Billy cacs the pants again and misses a standard penalty at international level.  That is a crucial error.  Would you start him in the next game?

dublin7

Quote from: restorepride on February 14, 2021, 05:17:54 PM

So let's do the Mathematics - Ireland loose by 2 and Billy cacs the pants again and misses a standard penalty at international level.  That is a crucial error.  Would you start him in the next game?

That's another one on ignore then.

restorepride

Quote from: dublin7 on February 14, 2021, 05:20:37 PM

By all means - but would you start him in the next game?  A reasonable enough question.  Or was the addition challenging?

Milltown Row2

I thought France missed a handy one too in fairness ...

Though I'm not a huge fan of Burns. Ireland has better kickers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

restorepride

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 14, 2021, 05:26:20 PM

At least the French effort was close, hitting the post!

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 14, 2021, 05:26:20 PM

They did. They missed a conversion as well.

I thought Burns did alright. Losing him, Healy and Henderson together at the start of the 2nd half unsettled the side and we never got any rhythm going like the 1st half. I was disappointed with are options going forward this week. Kept using Henshaw on the crash ball. I'd have expected a bit more imagination and to change it up occasionally.

Ringrose looked dangerous when he got the ball but we didn't use him enough

Milltown Row2

It was wide and a desperate miss from that angle.

But yeah full marks for hitting the post. Had it came down to a draw, that hitting the post would have swayed it...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Headin for a 5th place finish. Haven't got the Wooden Spoon since '98. From the start of the 6 Nations only Ireland and England haven't been given that particular award. They've Italy away next, which should be a win for the Irish.

Wales have been poor as well, but sitting with two victories.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Itchy

There is only one word that can be used for that performance.

Heroic (â„¢Irish Rugby)

restorepride

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 14, 2021, 05:32:40 PM
It was wide and a desperate miss from that angle.

But yeah full marks for hitting the post. Had it came down to a draw, that hitting the post would have swayed it...
True - didn't realise that rule still applied. 

Rudi

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 14, 2021, 04:52:45 PM
Quote from: Rudi on February 14, 2021, 04:39:47 PM
Lowe going well, covering every inch of grass honest performance.

He can't f**king defend

That's true, but he did a lot of good territory based kicks & cover catching. Compare him to Earl's who caught 3 balls and did nothing else.

restorepride

Quote from: Rudi on February 14, 2021, 05:42:31 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on February 14, 2021, 04:52:45 PM
Quote from: Rudi on February 14, 2021, 04:39:47 PM
Lowe going well, covering every inch of grass honest performance.

He can't f**king defend

That's true, but he did a lot of good territory based kicks & cover catching. Compare him to Earl's who caught 3 balls and did nothing else.
Totally agree re Earls.