The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 16, 2016, 09:54:29 AM
So will Brexit affect the WC bid? Could be a big negative on the bid.

How??

Estimator

Aside from Murphy, I'd say the other 14 that started against the AB's in Chicago will started again this weekend. The lads that played against Canada were really playing for a place on the bench. I'd say Jackson, Dillane, Healy etc will replace the likes of Carberry on subs.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Walter Cronc

Would love to see Schmidt start with Henderson at 2nd row with Dillane on the bench. Would add serious power to counter Retallick and Whitelock. Think VdF has to start with O'Brien to come on with 25 to go.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2016, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 16, 2016, 09:54:29 AM
So will Brexit affect the WC bid? Could be a big negative on the bid.

How??

The fact that games are due to be played in the North and we don't know yet if there will be a soft border between NI (UK) and the Republic (EU). How easy will it be fans to move back and forth between both come 2023. What kind of visa restrictions will be in place?
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

There will be no border or restrictions in movement Dinny. Neither government want it. Arlene doesn't want it and that's saying something! It'll be moved to the Irish Sea if anything. Christ it could be more than 7 years before the UK govt know what they are even doing going by that leaked doc yesterday.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2016, 10:30:34 AM
There will be no border or restrictions in movement Dinny. Neither government want it. Arlene doesn't want it and that's saying something! It'll be moved to the Irish Sea if anything. Christ it could be more than 7 years before the UK govt know what they are even doing going by that leaked doc yesterday.

I know but the uncertainty is still there, if I was a rival bidder I would ham it up. Although with NZ and presumably Wales, Scotland and England in their corner it's hard to see them losing.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Who is it we are we up against? Is it South Africa and France?

Surely England and NZ have a big say. Like to think the Aussies would back us also.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2016, 10:39:47 AM

Surely England and NZ have a big say. Like to think the Aussies would back us also.

There is 30 votes

I suspect Ireland already has 11 votes (Ire 2, Eng 2, Wales 2, Scot, 2, NZ 2, USA 1). We also play Canada a lot 1 vote and are helping resource and grow the game in Georgia 1 vote. So if we can get Romania 1 vote and Oz 2 votes we'll be sorted. It's all politics and politics is a game Irish people play very well.

But it will cost both governments money, lets hope we don't lose too much on it but at least the infrastructure improvements will all be on current existing stadia and we won't be left with any white elephants.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 16, 2016, 10:55:50 AM

There is 30 votes

I suspect Ireland already has 11 votes (Ire 2, Eng 2, Wales 2, Scot, 2, NZ 2, USA 1). We also play Canada a lot 1 vote and are helping resource and grow the game in Georgia 1 vote. So if we can get Romania 1 vote and Oz 2 votes we'll be sorted. It's all politics and politics is a game Irish people play very well.

But it will cost both governments money, lets hope we don't lose too much on it but at least the infrastructure improvements will all be on current existing stadia and we won't be left with any white elephants.

The GAA have to be fully rewarded by both the government and IRFU for their efforts should we be successful. The IRFU appear to be sensible with their approach to retaining terracing, thus reducing the need for radical stadium overhaul and keeping affordable tickets on the agenda (growing the game etc.). I'd be surprised if Derry makes the top 8. My guess would be:

1 Croke Park
2 Aviva
3 Ravenhill
4 Thomond
5 Casement (if built)
6 Pairc Uí Chaoimh
7 Salthill
8 RDS

seafoid

There is 30 votes

Pat Hickey could have delivered the vote...

grounded

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2016, 11:08:12 AM

There is 30 votes

The GAA have to be fully rewarded by both the government and IRFU for their efforts should we be successful. The IRFU appear to be sensible with their approach to retaining terracing, thus reducing the need for radical stadium overhaul and keeping affordable tickets on the agenda (growing the game etc.). I'd be surprised if Derry makes the top 8. My guess would be:

1 Croke Park
2 Aviva
3 Ravenhill
4 Thomond
5 Casement (if built)
6 Pairc Uí Chaoimh
7 Salthill
8 RDS

Has it been decided that we will only use 8 stadia? England used 13 in 2015(abeit Manchester held only one game) and Japan have 12 for 2019. Considering there might be a possibility of an expanded tournament of 24, would be need more than 8?

Walter Cronc

Think I read yesterday it was to be reduced to 8 but then I read today it would be reduced to 10. Think New Zealand used 10 and overall capacity was smaller than ours. The advantage France would have is huge soccer stadiums with potentially a greater turnover.

Better explained here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-begins-charm-offensive-as-credible-2023-world-cup-hosts-1.2869395

grounded

Yeah that makes more sense now. Although I think they have downplayed South Africa's chances a little in the article. The SA government seem to be fully on board now and they will have a strong shout given that they bidded for and lost out on the 2011 and 2015 tournaments. The 2019 tournament is in Japan and will be still seen as Northern hemisphere.
   I suppose as someone else said it will all come down to politics and how much profit can be generated by the host nation in terms of ticket sales.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: grounded on November 16, 2016, 03:04:17 PM
Yeah that makes more sense now. Although I think they have downplayed South Africa's chances a little in the article. The SA government seem to be fully on board now and they will have a strong shout given that they bidded for and lost out on the 2011 and 2015 tournaments. The 2019 tournament is in Japan and will be still seen as Northern hemisphere.
   I suppose as someone else said it will all come down to politics and how much profit can be generated by the host nation in terms of ticket sales.
Not really

World Rugby get their €120 million then ticket ssles go to the organisers
Works Rugby makes further money on the sponsorship, tv etc

seafoid

Poor Thurles is out. Cos no hotels. Our social affairs correspondent Bomber Destro will be along shortly to explain the difference between GAA and fake rugby match attendance patterns