The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Looking like Van der Flier and McCloskey are set to start on Saturday. That's lifted the spirits!

Launchbury is a huge loss for England. Yes their confidence is high and they rarely lose at home but as ROG says its the same horse essentially, just with a different jockey.

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on February 25, 2016, 12:17:50 AM
I think we are in for an ugly mauling at the weekend. This England team are on the up and will likely grind us down. It wont be entertaining in any respect.
Confidence up after Italy and Scotland. England are poor too.

Walter Cronc

Team named for Saturday

Ireland: Rob Kearney, Andrew Trimble, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart McCloskey, Keith Earls, Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Jack McGrath, Rory Best, Mike Ross, Devin Toner, Donnacha Ryan, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Richardt Strauss, Cian Healy, Nathan White, Ultan Dillane,  Rhys Ruddock, Eoin Reddan, Ian Madigan, Simon Zebo.

Dinny Breen

Interesting team. Looking forward to seeing how the two boys get on and Dillane who should get his fist cap. Dillane could be the new poster boy of Connacht rugby, serious talent.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Dinny would I be right in saying that McCloskey, VdF and Dillane never started at Ireland U20 grade 2-3 years ago?

seafoid

Sexton to last how many minutes?
I saw an interview with Gatland where he said subs should be injury only

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 25, 2016, 01:54:50 PM
Dinny would I be right in saying that McCloskey, VdF and Dillane never started at Ireland U20 grade 2-3 years ago?

Fairly sure McCloskey didn't play 20s, classic late developer, he came to Ulster via the AIL. VDF was a mainstay though and Dillane was in the 20s extended squad, might have benched 1 or 2 games. Amazed that he had to go to Connacht, we don't produce many of his athletic ability is Ireland probably helped by the fact his Mum is from the Ivory Coast.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 25, 2016, 02:57:16 PM

Fairly sure McCloskey didn't play 20s, classic late developer, he came to Ulster via the AIL. VDF was a mainstay though and Dillane was in the 20s extended squad, might have benched 1 or 2 games. Amazed that he had to go to Connacht, we don't produce many of his athletic ability is Ireland probably helped by the fact his Mum is from the Ivory Coast.

Dillane and Henderson could be quite the presence in a few years. Hendo providing the power and Dillane the athleticism.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 25, 2016, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 25, 2016, 02:57:16 PM

Dillane and Henderson could be quite the presence in a few years. Hendo providing the power and Dillane the athleticism.

James Ryan from this years 20s as well, all very young though for International Rugby, 2nd rows generally peak late 20s early 30s. It's when they get their Daddy strength so to speak.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Yeah Ryan looks a beast of a lad. We really need Henderson to stay injury free over the next few years. You'd want 4 quality players in this position moving forward.

Be interesting to see Itoje gets on this Saturday. Looks a future England captain in the making.

trileacman

Any Irishmen play for Ireland anymore?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hound

Quote from: trileacman on February 25, 2016, 08:43:05 PM
Any Irishmen play for Ireland anymore?
14 of the 15 starters!

Must be the highest proportion of lads who grew up in the country of any international rugby team

muppet

Owen Farrell playing very well for Ireland.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Crete Boom

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 05:06:18 PM
Owen Farrell playing very well for Ireland.  :D

Well both sets of his grandparents are Irish born and bred so he qualifies in my book anyway ;)!!

Tony Baloney

Getting away with it so far.