The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2015, 02:30:23 PM
Jaysus, putting Johnny above ROG is some call to make, especially on a list of Six Nations greats. Maybe it shows how highly he's thought of outside of Ireland. Well probably only appreciate how good he is when he's gone.

I'd also take Kearney over Halfpenny any day of the week, he's such an electric attacker and a real guiding force for Leinster and Ireland. Halfpenny looks pedestrian from play too often for me, though I understand that his penalty kicking in 2012-2013 were essential to Wales' titles and that's why he's listed.

Agree with you about Kearney and Halfpenny. But not the other. Sexton for me.

whitegoodman

Pretty disappointed with that team named.  Ross is now 3rd choice at Leinster yet he is first choice for Ireland??? What is he going to able to provide at the world cup either.

Payne isn't the best outside centre at Ulster never mind Ireland. A world class 15, an average 13.  In the absence of Olding, Fitzgerald or Cave would have been better options.

The decision on Keatley is correct IMO. Madigan is not and never will be a great 10, might make a decent 12 though.

What is the point in having Jones on the bench when you have 3 guys starting who all have plenty of experience at 15.  Fitzgerald or Earls would have been better options IMO.  Still think we will win but I won't be comfortable.

Oh and there shouldn't be an argument re O Gara and Sexton, Sexton is world class, O Gara was to be frank not.  He was one dimensional and the wind would blow him over.

Syferus

ROG was world class, without a doubt. He wasn't great defensively but few out-halves in history have been. Sexton has the physical gifts ROG didn't have but mentally ROG was a class apart. It's a Roy Keane/Zidane sort of situation in my eyes. One has all the technical skills in the world but you know the one who you would rely on to kick a game-winning shot to with a championship.

It's what made him the leading scorer in Six Nations history.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Syferus on February 06, 2015, 08:40:40 AM
ROG was world class, without a doubt. He wasn't great defensively but few out-halves in history have been. Sexton has the physical gifts ROG didn't have but mentally ROG was a class apart. It's a Roy Keane/Zidane sort of situation in my eyes. One has all the technical skills in the world but you know the one who you would rely on to kick a game-winning shot to with a championship.

Oh christ please dont tell me you'd rather have Roy Keane in a team over Zidane  :-X

thewobbler

Ronan O'Gara world class?

Seriously, take a look at what you're proposing here. He was defensively inept and offered no running threat whatsoever. A world class kicker yes, so good at kicking that a series of coaches were happy to play to this advantage despite it limiting their team, yes. A world class rugby player? No, not even remotely close.

Personally I'll never understand the fixation on Irish rugby that the out half must be the goal kicker. But as a policy it served ROG remarkably well.

thewobbler

WGM - a lot of lads were disappointed its Schmidt's selections at the start of last year too. He proved them wrong then and I'm hoping he'll do it again. He seems to pick form players for certain roles either way, and that's generally a good policy.

Personally I'd have no interest in seeing Fitzgerald or Earls in an Irish jersey again. Two most overrated backs of the past 20 years.

gallsman

Yeah, that Zidane fella was never directly responsible for winning anything. Show pony.

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 06, 2015, 09:25:01 AM
WGM - a lot of lads were disappointed its Schmidt's selections at the start of last year too. He proved them wrong then and I'm hoping he'll do it again. He seems to pick form players for certain roles either way, and that's generally a good policy.

Personally I'd have no interest in seeing Fitzgerald or Earls in an Irish jersey again. Two most overrated backs of the past 20 years.

I think that's unfair on Fitzgerald. If he hadn't been injured so much he could have been a serious player.

oakleaflad

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 05, 2015, 08:16:26 PM
Pretty disappointed with that team named.  Ross is now 3rd choice at Leinster yet he is first choice for Ireland??? What is he going to able to provide at the world cup either.

Payne isn't the best outside centre at Ulster never mind Ireland. A world class 15, an average 13.  In the absence of Olding, Fitzgerald or Cave would have been better options.

The decision on Keatley is correct IMO. Madigan is not and never will be a great 10, might make a decent 12 though.

What is the point in having Jones on the bench when you have 3 guys starting who all have plenty of experience at 15.  Fitzgerald or Earls would have been better options IMO.  Still think we will win but I won't be comfortable.

Oh and there shouldn't be an argument re O Gara and Sexton, Sexton is world class, O Gara was to be frank not.  He was one dimensional and the wind would blow him over.
I think Mike Ross is Ireland's most important player. Any time he's not played or been subbed off our scrum has went to shite.

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 06, 2015, 09:25:01 AM

Wobbler I am all for picking on form but would Ross and Payne be form picks?

Ross didn't make the 23 for Leinster latest European games.

Payne hasn't produced any form at 13 for Ulster or Ireland.  He is being picked there based on what he did in the super 14 a few years back.  Ask any Ulster supporter and 9 out of 10 would pick Cave ahead of him at 13.

Joe is a very smart man and could possibly become Ireland's greatest ever coach and I am no man to question him.  However a couple of choices for tomorrow are arguable to say the least.

moysider

Ah, Roy wasn't so bad.

Was ROG ever close to being first choice 10.
Even humpy Steven Jones was considered better.

screenexile

Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 02:29:43 PM

Ah, Roy wasn't so bad.

Was ROG ever close to being first choice 10.
Even humpy Steven Jones was considered better.

Rog was considered Ireland's best Fly Half for the best part of a decade yet couldn't get on in a Lions Test in that time. I think we over exaggerate how good he was because he was Irish and yes he scored a lot of good penalties and drop goals for Munster and Ireland but his overall game was limited compared to a Sexton who can kick goals, run, pass and kick very well tactically as well as being good defensively!

AZOffaly

ROG's weaknesses were his line break and his tackling. His kicking was an obvious strength, both out of hand and from the tee. His passing is underrated, largely because he always sat a couple of steps deeper than the likes of Sexton.

Was he world class? Possibly he had too many flaws to be a Dan Carter. Wilkinson was a better tackler, but I think ROG was a better passer and their kicking was about even. ROG was better than Stephen Jones in my opinion.

But Sexton is probably a better all round player.

But am I glad ROG played for Munster all those year? Absolutely. The perfect 10 for that team, and he is responsible for an awful lot of famous Munster moments. We owe him a lot down here, and that's all I know.

By the way, Madigan should have been #10. I like Keatley, but I'm not sure he's got the temperment for this. MAdigan looks like the sort of cocky hoor that would thrive there. I'm holding out hope that Madigan will get pissed off at Leinster and come down South.

mouview

Tellin' ya. Hedge Ireland's chances in this year's 6 Nations. A bet on them winning only 1 or only 2 matches is worth it, (it always is). Think their autumn series displays flattered them a bit.