The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Decent enough team and I probably agree with most of the selections apart from a few mainly on the replacement bench! I would have gone for Henderson on the bench personally as I think he's the next O'Connell in the making although I'm glad Declan Fitzpatrick got the nod because we need someone who can lock the scrum if Ross goes down injured. Tough call on Court at loose-head but it's nip and tuck between him and Kilcoyne and I have a funny feeling Tom might get the nod on the bench for the England and France games when having such a destructive scrummag-er (at loose-head only) to bring on in the secondhalf will be really important while Kilcoyne being a better ball carrier will be more important against Wales to ramp up the physical pressure in the second half as we won't beat Wales in a fast loose wide type of game so destructive close in ball carries will do more damage. Also Wales like ourselves  don't have a top notch tight-head replacement prop so they rely on Adam Jones like we do on Ross so Jones will tire in the second half.

If Paul Marshall wasn't battling for the no. 9 spot with probably one of the best 9's in the world at Ulster I'm sure he would be pushing for a green shirt at this stage but unfortunately for Ireland that is the case and I do believe Reddan is very good impact sub at this level but I have my doubts about him as a starter, but his days and Marshall's could be numbered anyway with Marmion's progress at Connacht and Luke McGrath's probably arrival into the mix in Leinster next year. Issac Boss wouldn't look out of place on the bench as well although he is very similar in style to Murray.

At 7 I would have been happy with either O' Mahony or Henry. A few posters (I would guess they are mostly Ulster men) seem a bit peeved at O' Mahony's selection but there is some sound logic behind this. They are almost identical except in a few key areas , Henry is the better link player like a traditional 7 while O' Mahony is a much more abrasive ball carrier especially the hard yards in the tight , Henry is better poacher on the deck while O'Mahony is better at choke tackling and smother tackles that knock back the opposing carrier and what i believe is the clincher for this match is O' Mahony is a much better Lineout jumper especially on opposition ball.   
Wales are missing three of their first choice secondrows so Ireland want to deny them as much primary ball as possible so O' Mahony gets the nod to give us four strong lineout options. Also while it might seem Ulster get a raw deal on selection to their supporters I can remember when they dominated Ireland selections right up to the late 90's (just ask Mick Galwey) when maybe a few more from the south and the west deserved a shot so it seems these things go in cycle's!!

With Trimble I just think he has never really settled at international level and could never raise his game to the level he can with Ulster in the Heineken cup where as Keith Earls can seem to step it up when injury free and he seems to  play with more freedom at international level. To those who say he is not an International class centre all I would have to do is point you to last years six nations where he was one of our few consistent performers and showed real class at outside centre with some marvelous breaks from behind a pack that seemed to go backwards more than forwards last year. With Darren cave (the Fiji match apart) he hasn't impressed in his outings with the wolfhounds and he looks a little lost at international level but I wouldn't give up on him just yet and I think the tour in the summer could be the making or the breaking of him but he's a good way off an Ireland staring spot yet.

All in all I would hope we can win this weekend  but they key is to get a stranglehold on possession and be very physical ( I'd like us to maul the ball from the lineout at every opportunity) when we have it to wear the welsh down and traditionally their heads drop if they aren't allowed to get their high tempo off the cuff attacking game going early. So for me I hope for Ireland by a score , maybe something like 25-21 or there abouts.

(p.s Declan use our bench smartly for once like Henry , O' Callahan and Kilcoyne in for the last 30 with Fitzpatrick and Cronin for the last 20, leave Sexton on unless he is injured or having a shocker and no putting on a player for the last 2 mins please!!!!!)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2013, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 29, 2013, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2013, 03:40:12 PM
Henry should definitely be ahead of POM.

On the other hand Gilroy v Earls must have been a close call - Gilroy has done very little since his explosion onto the Irish scene, but at least Kidney has still rewarded him for that. Earls is the best finisher, but I think his move from wing to centre will cost him not only an Irish place, but a Lions place. He'll be a good man off the bench though.

Glad he picked Kilcoyne and Fitzpatrick on the bench.

Henderson's not ready to be an international lock just yet. One more year on the bench for DOC, then Henderson takes over (at least I hope his moulded more as a 2nd row than a back row over the next few years).

Earls hasn't done anything to justify a Lions shirt in a long time.
His try scoring record when playing wing for Ireland is excellent.  If he'd continued in that position I think he'd be a very strong contender. I rate him as the best finisher we have. But this outside centre malarky is hugely misguided and I'm waiting for the penny to drop for Penney.

Agree that Earls is a victim of his versatility as such. I worry that we aren't developing centres for 2015. I'm really excited about the propect of Jordan Coughlan turning from back row to inside centre. Pacey and robust player in the Jamie Roberts kind of role!

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 29, 2013, 05:20:42 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2013, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 29, 2013, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2013, 03:40:12 PM
Henry should definitely be ahead of POM.

On the other hand Gilroy v Earls must have been a close call - Gilroy has done very little since his explosion onto the Irish scene, but at least Kidney has still rewarded him for that. Earls is the best finisher, but I think his move from wing to centre will cost him not only an Irish place, but a Lions place. He'll be a good man off the bench though.

Glad he picked Kilcoyne and Fitzpatrick on the bench.

Henderson's not ready to be an international lock just yet. One more year on the bench for DOC, then Henderson takes over (at least I hope his moulded more as a 2nd row than a back row over the next few years).

Earls hasn't done anything to justify a Lions shirt in a long time.
His try scoring record when playing wing for Ireland is excellent.  If he'd continued in that position I think he'd be a very strong contender. I rate him as the best finisher we have. But this outside centre malarky is hugely misguided and I'm waiting for the penny to drop for Penney.

Agree that Earls is a victim of his versatility as such. I worry that we aren't developing centres for 2015. I'm really excited about the propect of Jordan Coughlan turning from back row to inside centre. Pacey and robust player in the Jamie Roberts kind of role!

+1 I also think this is a great move and the boy certainly has the natural talent and pace to make a go of it with Leinster still have Gilsenan and Coogan coming through as backrows so no loss there. In Connacht it's common knowledge that no. 13 is where Robbie Henshaw is going to end up and while it's hard on Eoin Griffin it's a perfect fit for Henshaw and it'll be good to have top quality competition in the squad. Smart for Connacht too with Shane Layden coming back from injury and Gavin Duffy they have more than enough talent at 15 for the forsee-able future

From the Bunker

Brian O'Driscoll......He has't gone away you know!

Feck the blood pressure, after that!

AQMP

As Nugent or O'Shea said, a match that had everything this is great about the game of rugby.  Brilliant viewing.  Eng v Sco is going to seem very tame after that!

Walter Cronc

I'm exhausted after that. I'd imagine D'arcy won't be fit for next week. I pray Ross is ok!

yellowcard

Brutal intensity today, O'Driscoll added to his legend and Zebos skill with the boot executed at that speed was unreal. Sets up an almighty battle with England next week. Win that and there could be the possibility of a Grand Slam.

Dinny Breen

Hands up. I never saw anything in Peter O'Mahony until today, he was superb. Defence wins cups and Irelands 2nd half defensive performance was real bodies on the line stuff. Looking forward to the Aviva next week.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Best game of rugby I've seen in some time. Made the England-Scotland game look like a flat balloon in terms of intensity.

trileacman

Bit of humble pie to be doled out to a few posters tonight. O'Mahoney was outstanding, carried brilliantly, like I haven't seen him do before. Zebo is a gem, Gilroy is everything Trimble will never be, a stepper, good catcher, fast whilst also being agile.
BOD - it's all been said.
Sexton top - looks a Lion ten.
Murray - a better day/wasn't over-shadowed by the best 9 in the competition.
Heaslip/ Ryan/ Best - did all the hidden work, Best avoiding penalties for a change.
Healy - a great pro, if Sexton is worth 750grand, Healy is worth damn close to it. Would consider him one of the worlds best tightheads, up there with Zwarcvilli.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Walter Cronc

Apart from the obviously worry surrounding Ross I would be concerned about the prospect of Earls playing at 13 against England. No doubt he is a wonderful talent but i just don't think he is suited to it defensively as was shown in the Cuthbert try. Perhaps giving Darren Cave the nod is an option. Ok he might not be blessed with huge pace but he will defend the outside channel well which will be tested no doubt by the return of Tuilagi.

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 02, 2013, 08:45:16 PM
Apart from the obviously worry surrounding Ross I would be concerned about the prospect of Earls playing at 13 against England. No doubt he is a wonderful talent but i just don't think he is suited to it defensively as was shown in the Cuthbert try. Perhaps giving Darren Cave the nod is an option. Ok he might not be blessed with huge pace but he will defend the outside channel well which will be tested no doubt by the return of Tuilagi.

I'd give O'Driscoll one last chance.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

Will BOD not move to inside centre if D'Arcy can't make it?? Perhaps Fitzgerald is an option for 12.

thewobbler

Paddy Wallace is your man.

I'm not even joking.

But it'll end up being Earls.

CiKe

Quote from: trileacman on February 02, 2013, 08:35:33 PM
Bit of humble pie to be doled out to a few posters tonight. O'Mahoney was outstanding, carried brilliantly, like I haven't seen him do before. Zebo is a gem, Gilroy is everything Trimble will never be, a stepper, good catcher, fast whilst also being agile.
BOD - it's all been said.
Sexton top - looks a Lion ten.
Murray - a better day/wasn't over-shadowed by the best 9 in the competition.
Heaslip/ Ryan/ Best - did all the hidden work, Best avoiding penalties for a change.
Healy - a great pro, if Sexton is worth 750grand, Healy is worth damn close to it. Would consider him one of the worlds best tightheads, up there with Zwarcvilli.

Except he's a loose-head but suspect is a typo - you're right though, he is phenomenal. O'Brien gave away some silly penalties but his tackle count was fantastic. McCarthy also had some tackles, must have been all the dirty stuff as I never saw him!