Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I know the whole story here lads but from the other way round. Shane Finnegan, the reciever is a close relation, and the extent, dedication and absolute committment to making this work from Joe Brollys end was unbelievable.

Shane Finnegan was a county minor for Antrim 22 years ago and picked up a kidney injury that year and has not played since. His two brothers Greg and Donagh played for St Pauls and Antrim for many years, and Shane was destined for great things too.

The efforts Shane has gone to to get donors, and then get a correct blood match (which was the very hard bit) was a long heartbreaking journey. The physical and mental torture involvedcannot be properly explained. Shane couldnt pass urine. He peed for the first time in many years yesterday.

I wont spoil the story which hopefully will appear in the media once the two guys get out of hospital. The great news is the operation looks to have been a real success. Joe has taken two months off work to make this happen, and was the driver all along since he first heard about Shanes condition.

Will always hold him in high esteem after this. Delighted for Shane as well - his life can get back to normality again.

give her dixie

Quote from: bannside on October 06, 2012, 08:43:54 AM
I know the whole story here lads but from the other way round. Shane Finnegan, the reciever is a close relation, and the extent, dedication and absolute committment to making this work from Joe Brollys end was unbelievable.

Shane Finnegan was a county minor for Antrim 22 years ago and picked up a kidney injury that year and has not played since. His two brothers Greg and Donagh played for St Pauls and Antrim for many years, and Shane was destined for great things too.

The efforts Shane has gone to to get donors, and then get a correct blood match (which was the very hard bit) was a long heartbreaking journey. The physical and mental torture involvedcannot be properly explained. Shane couldnt pass urine. He peed for the first time in many years yesterday.

I wont spoil the story which hopefully will appear in the media once the two guys get out of hospital. The great news is the operation looks to have been a real success. Joe has taken two months off work to make this happen, and was the driver all along since he first heard about Shanes condition.

Will always hold him in high esteem after this. Delighted for Shane as well - his life can get back to normality again.

Great story Bannside, and I hope both men make a full recovery and live life to the full.

What Joe has done is one of the most selfless acts any person could do for another. As the saying goes, to save the life of one man is to save all of humanity.

Full respect to Joe, and no doubt he will inspire others to take the same leap in the future.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

brokencrossbar1

'Brolly giving kidney, Brolly giving life'!  An amazing story and could not be underestimated how much this will mean to so many people.  Joe is a bigger man than many people could even imagine and I wish him and the young Finnegan lad the best in their recovery.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on October 05, 2012, 11:41:12 PM

Can t believe some are taking this lightly. Don t think this is an opportunity to be funny.

A few days ago I wanted to break his mouth - now I m almost in tears at what he s done. This is not a gesture. It is something most people would only do for family. And even then many could not. Sincerely hope it is successful for the recipient.

And I ll think twice about clobbering Joe when I see him.

+1 Moysider .  This man has made my blood boil so much so much over the past few years , jesus i don't think i have had a good word to say about the man,  however what can you say  when you read what he has done . Inspirational . I'm trying to imagine would i be able to do what Joe has just done and truth be told  i don't think I'd be brave enough .   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

A wonderful gesture by Joe, shows the quality of the man as a human being.

I reserve the right to question his qualities as a Gaelic football analyst, as they are very separate.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 06, 2012, 09:53:07 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 05, 2012, 11:41:12 PM

Can t believe some are taking this lightly. Don t think this is an opportunity to be funny.

A few days ago I wanted to break his mouth - now I m almost in tears at what he s done. This is not a gesture. It is something most people would only do for family. And even then many could not. Sincerely hope it is successful for the recipient.

And I ll think twice about clobbering Joe when I see him.

+1 Moysider .  This man has made my blood boil so much so much over the past few years , jesus i don't think i have had a good word to say about the man,  however what can you say  when you read what he has done . Inspirational . I'm trying to imagine would i be able to do what Joe has just done and truth be told  i don't think I'd be brave enough .

Aye, you have to hand it to the fecker, wouldnt have agreed with much of what he has said (or mostly the way he has gone about it) but this has made that pale into insignificance.

Well done Joe
Hasta la victoria siempre

AZOffaly

That's just brilliant. Fair play to him. Of course he is still going to annoy the shite out of me on TSG, as he obviously sets out to do, but really who cares about that stuff in the long run?

The long run is what sort of a man you are when you shut the door behind you at home, and Brolly is obviously someone you can rely on as friend and as a human being.

Well done Joe, and best wishes to the Finnegan lad.

Rois

Wow.

Selfless act and underlines the goodness in human nature.

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ONeill

Quote from: bannside on October 06, 2012, 08:43:54 AM
Shane couldnt pass urine. He peed for the first time in many years yesterday.

Brolly spent a lifetime taking the piss out of people on TV. Now he's taken it to a new level.

Before anyone starts, it's a joyous occasion.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Joe yer a crazy hoor !!

While Joe is a good bit mischevious in his media forays, there are always at least two perspectives to everything and Joe just gives his.

What Joe has done here is humbling. He has shown true courage and loyalty - two words that are the ultimate mantra and ethos in the Dungiven plateau region!

Blow Joe , yer a credit to yer family, friends, clubs, Dungiven, County, Ireland and in my opinion - the GAA and all that is great about our association as if not for the football club link, young Finnegan might still be waiting - instead he found a friend and donor.

Fair play Joe- speedy recovery so you can get back to Mayobashing asap !! ;)

Glensman

Quote from: haranguerer on October 05, 2012, 09:06:03 PM
An absolute hero. Okay, one part of his life is putting across his views on a game on national tv, naturally hes going to court controversy, but look at the all round picture; one of the most successful barristers in Ireland, a great county player, a superb club player with incredible longevity (played til 42 I think?), fully involved in the club as a coach, always willing to support any event hes asked to, great family man, I could go on, but theres enough there to call him an example to everyone. The only problem is, its very hard to look at this objectively whenever you're within earshot of him  ;D

+1 on all fronts. Fair play Joe.

Gold

Unreal. Many wouldnt do that, dont know if i could.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Square Ball

Fair play to him, as Gold said I dont know if I could.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid