Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: GlenMan on January 22, 2020, 04:56:18 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2020, 04:36:15 PM
I thought at one stage reserve games were allowed to be played at 13 a side. Was that done away with? I thought that was worth a shot - obviously must have been phased out or just not implemented full stop?

They are 13 a side in Junior. Clubs have to agree to go 15 a side.

Always felt sorry for some of the reserves playing the 13 aside. Usually a few players who don't fancy the extra space especially in the lower leagues!  ;)

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Club boi on January 22, 2020, 03:23:38 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 22, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
Ive said it before on here and I will say it again, I think its just time to scrap reserve football in Tyrone. 

I would have previously said that the county board didn't give a fcuk about reserve football / players but fair play to them on this occasion in that they had really put in some effort to come up with a viable and exciting solution / proposal to what was a dying competition.  I had no idea though that the clubs themselves are the real ones who do not give a toss about reserve football or essentially their reserve players.  That's what it has boiled down to here.  Elitism in the GAA once again takes hold.  I find it ironic that clubs crib and cry about elitism when it comes to club vs county matters but they have done the same with their own players on this occasion    

At the end of the day, the reserve team is considered a burden, lets be honest, nobody really says it but it is.  A lot of clubs now have outside managers and the only priority is the senior team.  Bit like the premier league, the managers will be judged on the senior teams performance & results, not what the ressies are doing.  The managers themselves have enough on their plate without worrying about his 24 year old reserve corner back who can barely solo or his 16 stone corner forward who is gassed out after 3 runs, they just dont want the hassle of it and I think thats why so many clubs have opted against the new proposals.  Its new, it requires change and will require more effort which they aren't prepared to make.  People do not like change. 

Last night was a chance to perhaps save it and make it a competition where clubs and reserve players could find their level with the prospects of promotion / relegation.  It could have finally been a meaningful competition for the lesser / older and developing players within clubs.  Maybe give some of them more a sense of purpose playing in a separate competition. It could have shone a light in terms of social media coverage on a new competition and the lesser players within clubs might have got the chance to see their picture or name on a match report in some of the local papers or teamtalk.  As some other poster alluded to, Moy reserves in division 1 is a waste of everyone's time from the players to the management,the spectators to the referee.

Time to put a pin in this shambles of a competition, its done.

Started off a clown, saved yourself last paragraph and then ended it being a clown again. You MUST be from 1 of the so called big clubs in Tyrone to have such ignorance about reserve football

Tell me what Ive said that is wrong? Nobody cares about reserve football really.  There was a chance to reform it last night but there wasn't the appetite for change.  How many ressies games didn't get played last year or were conceded?   The proof is in the pudding, the clubs don't really care so once that happens its time to pull the Pin.  I dont want to see it happen but there is no point in flogging a dead horse.

omagh_gael

PMG1

Fionn Dromore never conceded a reserve game in 2018, haven't to my knowledge conceded a reserve game in at least 10 years. Mot on the other hand have been in the last 3 grade 2 U21 finals and I think two of the last 3 grade 2 minor finals, how on earth can they not field a reserve team. KC conceded the reserve game against Dromore last year yet had 14 subs tog out for the senior game. Some clubs need a kick on the rear end rather than people criticising the ccc.  Ardboe last year travelled to Dromore on a Saturday evening for a stand alone reserve fixture in October when they had no chance of winning the league, that's a club that knows the true meaning of the GAA and an example others should follow

JuniorBAllstar

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 22, 2020, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 22, 2020, 06:49:44 PMIf I can be arsed, I'll try and compile the number of DNF's from a longer time period later...

OK, I'm arsed.

The following is by the number of times in the last three seasons a club has forefitted/CONC/DNF/WO a Reserve league fixture, figures in brackets refer to games conceeded in 2019, 2018 then 2017). Nominally this should be 45 games in total per team (Dregish fielded no reserve team in this time period) but some fixtures may have ended up not being played and were simply scratched.

22 Urney (13/5/4)

21 Derrytresk (5/11/5)

19 Moy (10/7/2)

15 Castlederg (4/5/6), Stewartstown (13/2/0)

14 Aghaloo (3/6/5)

13 Brocagh (2/4/7)

12 Brackaville (3/5/4)

11 Glenelly (3/6/2), Strabane (7/3/1)

10 Augher (2/2/6), Beragh (4/0/6), Derrylaughan (8/2/0), Edendork (8/0/2)

9 Killeeshil (3/2/4), Killyclogher (1/4/4), Moortown (4/0/5)

8 Cookstown (0/1/8)

7 Drumquin (6/1/0), Trillick (4/3/0)

6 Fintona (2/0/4), Killyman (2/0/4), Newtownstewart (0/3/3)

5 Ardboe (2/3/0) Errigal Ciaran (Junior) (5/0/0), Gortin (0/0/5)

4 Clann na nGael (3/1/0), Eskra (0/3/1), Pomeroy (0/3/1)

3 Dungannon (2/1/0), Galbally (0/0/3), Loughmacrory (0/3/0), Rock (0/1/2)

2 Coalisland (1/1/0)

1 Carrickmore (0/1/0), Clonoe (0/1/0), Donaghmore (1/0/0), Dromore (0/1/0), Errigal Ciaran (Senior) (1/0/0), Greencastle (1/0/0), Kildress (0/1/0), Omagh (1/0/0)

A few clubs clearly had a bit of a struggle in one season but had few problems otherwise, but a few others also seem to have consistent issues.

And yes, I'll begrudgly give credit to T***yreagh whom have not conceeded a tie in the reserve leagues in the last three years, especially as they were on a hiding to nothing last year. Normal service now resumes...

Owen Roes not on this list, good achievement for a club that would be considered by some a smaller club/parish

The Bearded One

42 out of 48 clubs listed, 6 clubs have 100% record of fielding. Not counting Dregish but have included Errigal 4ths so number of clubs is still 48.
It is what it is. Presumably.

sidelineball

The Bearded One

Drumragh
Clogher
Ardboe
Owen Roes
Eglish
Plus one more I can't see straight away.
It is what it is. Presumably.

WT4E

Quote from: The Bearded One on January 22, 2020, 11:45:55 PM
Drumragh
Clogher
Ardboe
Owen Roes
Eglish

Ardboe on list ... Missed 5

Tatts 100%

PeterEli

Quote from: WT4E on January 22, 2020, 11:56:28 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on January 22, 2020, 11:45:55 PM
Drumragh
Clogher
Ardboe
Owen Roes
Eglish

Ardboe on list ... Missed 5

Tatts 100%

Aghyaran?

Eglish, Tattyreagh, Owen Roes, Aghyaran, Clogher, Drumragh.

Wee Roddy

Quote from: Snapchap on January 22, 2020, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on January 22, 2020, 04:31:24 PM
Dromore won the Division 1 reserve league by playing 7 SEVEN games.

That's Division 1.

When you look some of the so-called 'small' clubs that managed to field in most/all their reserve games, then perhaps it's worth considering the notion that it's not the system/format that needs changed, but the attitude of the clubs who don't bother their hole putting effort or emphasis on their reserve structures and haven't the foresight to consider how a strong reserve panel can be of benefit to the senior team when they are training as one unit under one management.

This is the most sensible thing I have heard on here on this debate. Our players were consulted and they did not want the reserves and seniors segregated at all.
If the reserve competition runs away week after week then I do not see a problem with fixture fulfilment. It is the break in momentum that is the problem and there is simply no excuse for not playing reserve fixtures week in week out in the same division that your senior team is in, developing young players to the max without making them feel inferior by telling them they can not train with the senior squad tonight because there is a reserve match tomorrow. 

As a club that has dual players the underage system may create a problem or two among coaches though

PeterEli

Disappointing not to see the new reserve structures go ahead. Looking at the above numbers of games not fulfilled it is clearly a broken system, I can't possibly see why we would want to continue with it.

The strangest thing about the current system is playing in the league your senior team is in. For example, Aghaloo won the junior league last year however their reserves finished 13th in the Division 3 reserve league, how does it make any sense that they should also move up to Division 2 reserve football?

Kildress reserves finished top of Division 3, unbeaten in the league, the following year still playing in Division 3.
Cookstown and Eglish reserves both finished 6th in their respective leagues, but as a result of their senior team's relegations they must both play in lower leagues the following year.

GetOverTheBar

Knowing that some of the CCC have a habit of viewing this site....indeed alleged some post!

With regards to reserve fixtures some of your posts here guys are excellent and well worth a debate in Garvaghy.

Tyrone95

The reserve re structure may have been worth a go but I do not think it would of been of any benefit to the club player whatsoever.  Like stated before, it would be making a clear divide in who is good enough for senior football and who isn't - this putting players off going back out when they know they won't be playing on the sunday. The underage re structure is a bigger farce!! Who in their right mind thinks running the u16 league alongside minors is a good idea. For training alone most minor teams are made up of u16's - this means most clubs will probably have to join both training's together leaving younger/weaker u16's not being able to compete with the minors at 18 years of age. I hope it does work out for the best and I eat my words but at the moment it is hard to see how it can be compatible.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 22, 2020, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 22, 2020, 06:49:44 PMIf I can be arsed, I'll try and compile the number of DNF's from a longer time period later...

OK, I'm arsed.

The following is by the number of times in the last three seasons a club has forefitted/CONC/DNF/WO a Reserve league fixture, figures in brackets refer to games conceeded in 2019, 2018 then 2017). Nominally this should be 45 games in total per team (Dregish fielded no reserve team in this time period) but some fixtures may have ended up not being played and were simply scratched.

22 Urney (13/5/4)

21 Derrytresk (5/11/5)

19 Moy (10/7/2)

15 Castlederg (4/5/6), Stewartstown (13/2/0)

14 Aghaloo (3/6/5)

13 Brocagh (2/4/7)

12 Brackaville (3/5/4)

11 Glenelly (3/6/2), Strabane (7/3/1)

10 Augher (2/2/6), Beragh (4/0/6), Derrylaughan (8/2/0), Edendork (8/0/2)

9 Killeeshil (3/2/4), Killyclogher (1/4/4), Moortown (4/0/5)

8 Cookstown (0/1/8)

7 Drumquin (6/1/0), Trillick (4/3/0)

6 Fintona (2/0/4), Killyman (2/0/4), Newtownstewart (0/3/3)

5 Ardboe (2/3/0) Errigal Ciaran (Junior) (5/0/0), Gortin (0/0/5)

4 Clann na nGael (3/1/0), Eskra (0/3/1), Pomeroy (0/3/1)

3 Dungannon (2/1/0), Galbally (0/0/3), Loughmacrory (0/3/0), Rock (0/1/2)

2 Coalisland (1/1/0)

1 Carrickmore (0/1/0), Clonoe (0/1/0), Donaghmore (1/0/0), Dromore (0/1/0), Errigal Ciaran (Senior) (1/0/0), Greencastle (1/0/0), Kildress (0/1/0), Omagh (1/0/0)

A few clubs clearly had a bit of a struggle in one season but had few problems otherwise, but a few others also seem to have consistent issues.

And yes, I'll begrudgly give credit to T***yreagh whom have not conceeded a tie in the reserve leagues in the last three years, especially as they were on a hiding to nothing last year. Normal service now resumes...
Well done on compiling this.