The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Commentary and "analysis" is piss poor. They are meant to be experts, so if you're analysing a game you need to be telling people something that any person with eyes that knows nothing about football can see for themselves. 

Captain Scarlet

Exactly. Like if a cameraman was all over the shop and doing a terrible job they would be pulled up and get the road. Why, after all the money spent, do they allow awful standards on the mic and in front of the camera.

Just feckin poach some lads doing podcasts. The likes of Cian Ward has a good head on him and actually sticks to his guns.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Milltown Row2

If it was that easy then any old gaa boarder would be applying...

You'd be surprised at how quiet you become when someone sticks a mic in your gub!

Granted him and a few others are stealing a living but its not just as easy as you think.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

God14

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2022, 11:14:12 AM
Like I just don't get it. The technical crews are hired in and the team behind the cameras are nearly all the same no matter what channel and they all cost a fair whack BUT for some reason RTÉ let their pundits half-arse it.
Like in Cavan v Donegal I was subjected to Pat blowing again and Noelle Healy being shouted down by the same fella. Like she can be good but no-one can work with Spillane and he says nothing.

Then McStay just kept saying Division 4 v Division 1 and harping back to Cavan 2020. And 'the sub' scored the Donegal goal. FFS you are being paid and there is a programme in front of you.

Also, they are talking about long balls in. At least one of the Donegal 'long balls' in was a shot at goal that dropped. But they assigned it as a tactic.

Like all that set-up costs a fortune and I can't understand why they have the likes of Pat on to make a bollix of it all and give no insight. I know ya can't know every player but pick up the phone and chat a local journo if needs be. Find things out.

I can't listen to Cora either and Dessie Dolan on co-comms literally just says what we just saw. A lad kicks a pint..."that's right Marty. He got the ball and out it over the bar!"

Darragh and Eamon Fitz are a good team in fairness, but Christ. They need a cull or give lads a kick up the arse.

Tomas O'Se was one of the better ones over the past few years, he's decided to move on. There has been a complete lack of imagination by the producers in their response. There is some top class punditry out there on the radio & on the podcasts, just waiting to be tapped into.
Also RTE only have to look at BBC just now to work out how to get it right. Canavan, Harte and in particular McConville - top drawer.

Itchy

Whens the last time Pat was part of the commentary team at a match? I would say it was years ago and yet for Sligo v New York he was in the commentary box. I wonder would it have anything to do with getting a free flight to New York to see his son make his championship debut with Sligo? Sure he nearly had a breakdown when he came on - it was embarrassing stuff. Yet thats what RTE is all about, jobs for the boys. They are pathetic, barely one of their commentators or pundits has a clue what is going on.

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2022, 12:35:43 PM
If it was that easy then any old gaa boarder would be applying...

You'd be surprised at how quiet you become when someone sticks a mic in your gub!

Granted him and a few others are stealing a living but its not just as easy as you think.
I'd be happy if the likes of Spillane would be quiet when theres a mic in his gub! ;)

Think McConville and Canavan are very good. Aaron Kernan another fella who always speaks well when I hear him talk about games, very knowledgable.

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on May 09, 2022, 12:48:01 PM
Whens the last time Pat was part of the commentary team at a match? I would say it was years ago and yet for Sligo v New York he was in the commentary box. I wonder would it have anything to do with getting a free flight to New York to see his son make his championship debut with Sligo? Sure he nearly had a breakdown when he came on - it was embarrassing stuff. Yet thats what RTE is all about, jobs for the boys. They are pathetic, barely one of their commentators or pundits has a clue what is going on.

Spillane clearly had a big session the night before. The man was in commentary panting like an alsation after a sprint. He absolutely no doubt got the free junket simply because his son was playing for Sligo. There's a real you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours mentality about RTE. It's not merit based, it's based on connections.

full moon

It's shockingly poor. Noelle Healey is on there to tick a box, nobody know her or much cares about her opinion a she ticks the Dublin box too. Spillane does be spluttering gibberish. Joanne is okay I suppose when you compare her to the awful Des Cahill.

Then we get Cavanagh, who I agree is an awful pundit  when usually the pundits are fairly good from Ulster (BBC NI). Cavanagh is he given free reign now because of the Joe Brolly incident? He was a great player but he's a poor pundit but  I imagine he'll be there for the long haul.

Gooch Cooper is a fairly boring pundit also. So yesterday we get 3 Dubs ,2 Kerry and Cavanagh for an Ulster Semi final. Tired saying there's too many Dubs and Kerry on all these shows.

Why can BBC NI, Sky, Newstalk and most of the podcasts all do a decent job on less of a budget and with less matches than RTE? They're just half arsing it and doing GAA no favours.

I forgot McStay another bluffer that's spoofing half the time.

full moon

What ever happened to Eamonn O'Hara? He used to do bits for RTE. Ciaran Whelan is being pushed out a bit too, ironically he can actually be decent when Dublin are not involved because unlike the rest the does some homework. I've listen to him on RTE GAA podcast and he isn't the worst.

It's totally changed since Brolly was removed and the Monaghan man took over. I think RTE are so afraid of being sued now they don't want their pundits to offer anything but the safest bland opinion and statements.

highorlow

Gooch is a very good pundit imo
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Gael85

Like I just don't get it. The technical crews are hired in and the team behind the cameras are nearly all the same no matter what channel and they all cost a fair whack BUT for some reason RTÉ let their pundits half-arse it.
Like in Cavan v Donegal I was subjected to Pat blowing again and Noelle Healy being shouted down by the same fella. Like she can be good but no-one can work with Spillane and he says nothing.

Then McStay just kept saying Division 4 v Division 1 and harping back to Cavan 2020. And 'the sub' scored the Donegal goal. FFS you are being paid and there is a programme in front of you.

Also, they are talking about long balls in. At least one of the Donegal 'long balls' in was a shot at goal that dropped. But they assigned it as a tactic.

Like all that set-up costs a fortune and I can't understand why they have the likes of Pat on to make a bollix of it all and give no insight. I know ya can't know every player but pick up the phone and chat a local journo if needs be. Find things out.

I can't listen to Cora either and Dessie Dolan on co-comms literally just says what we just saw. A lad kicks a pint..."that's right Marty. He got the ball and out it over the bar!"

Darragh and Eamon Fitz are a good team in fairness, but Christ. They need a cull or give lads a kick up the arse.

Spillane offers nothing in analysing games. His party piece is team average scores in league games.  Little knowledge of players out D1 teams. Crazy he must be with RTE nearly 30 years. Sky Sports and BBC analysts way ahead of RTE. Pundits do their research and update to date on modern systems. No hidden agendas.

Before the Donegal/Cavan game. Marty Morrissey said he never seen Paddy Lynch play before. Spillane said watched Cavan 3 times(one when his son was playing). Surely he should be looking at the other 7 games they played to get a take on Cavan tactics.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gael85 on May 09, 2022, 01:35:04 PM

Spillane offers nothing in analysing games. His party piece is team average scores in league games.  Little knowledge of players out D1 teams. Crazy he must be with RTE nearly 30 years. Sky Sports and BBC analysts way ahead of RTE. Pundits do their research and update to date on modern systems. No hidden agendas.

Before the Donegal/Cavan game. Marty Morrissey said he never seen Paddy Lynch play before. Spillane said watched Cavan 3 times(one when his son was playing). Surely he should be looking at the other 7 games they played to get a take on Cavan tactics.

In fairness to watching Cavan, they played completely different football in the Championship and the league and even the 2 Ulster games they played with a different set up...

Can anyone tell me when they are going to sit/stand a lot closer together at the games and in the studio? Christ its as if they have bad BO
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: God14 on May 09, 2022, 12:40:00 PM

Tomas O'Se was one of the better ones over the past few years, he's decided to move on. There has been a complete lack of imagination by the producers in their response. There is some top class punditry out there on the radio & on the podcasts, just waiting to be tapped into.
Also RTE only have to look at BBC just now to work out how to get it right. Canavan, Harte and in particular McConville - top drawer.

Have to say I've been completely won over by the BBCNI coverage. Far superior, better pundits, better discussion. RTE feels like it hasn't changed in 20 years, same old faces (bar Brolly)

Captain Scarlet

But even Brolly was a dose at times. When he focused on the games he was good, but then he would go off on one.
There is zero homework done and they are getting a few quid.

Sky and BBC are so far ahead, but as I said the technical crew are the same really. Like I said, clean house and raid the podcasts.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Cavan19

Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on May 09, 2022, 01:45:41 PM
Quote from: God14 on May 09, 2022, 12:40:00 PM

Have to say I've been completely won over by the BBCNI coverage. Far superior, better pundits, better discussion. RTE feels like it hasn't changed in 20 years, same old faces (bar Brolly)

Agreed they know all the players and can give a good honest assessment of the game.  RTE pundits and commentators just seem to be going through the motions like its just a job to them the BBC lads are all football mad people who enjoy what they do.