Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 19, 2018, 11:19:13 PM
Leo's winning hearts and minds

I wonder what story the Oirish Sun ran on its front page
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

http://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-taoiseach-british-planes-irish-skies-4137889-Jul2018/

"...Those defending Varadkar have said that the quotes were twisted out of context and that he was simply stating a fact, rather than threatening to cut relations with the UK.

Fine Gael Senator Neale Richmond wrote on Twitter that the Taoiseach was "reiterating a factual statement that Philip Hammond [the British Chancellor for the Exchequer] also made earlier this year."

"A crash out scenario sees the UK crash out of the EU-US open skies agreement," Richmond wrote.

"Sighing very deeply at the number of Brexiteers (including some MPs) who have taken this as some kind of threat," TV3′s political correspondent Gavan Reilly said, "rather than a simple acknowledgement that a no-deal Brexit means withdrawing from airspace agreements. Nobody's blind to the effect that has for Ireland either."..."

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2018, 01:30:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 12:21:00 PM
If the 2.5m (as it will be then) working taxpayers in the 26 Cos are told they'll be funding a "Reconstruction" or "Equalisation" tax of €10bn per annum = i.e €4k each or €80 extra per week........
To misquote Clinton. "It's me pocket stoopid"
A no of 6Cos people already said on this Board that if a UI cost them money they wouldn't vote for it.
But we're expected to pay for it so that people,many of whom spend their time running down the "Free State" and "Free Staters" can continue to live in a subsidised basket case free gratis.
I'd say you could raise a good whack taxing the 2000 richest people on the Island
You could definitely introduce best practice into the civil services on both sides of the border.
You could cut a lot of fat out of health spending.
Partition has been  a catastrophe.
There is enough money to make the fourth green field productive again.
You absolutely, definitely, without any doubt could NOT introduce best practice to the civil service
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 20, 2018, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2018, 01:30:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 12:21:00 PM
If the 2.5m (as it will be then) working taxpayers in the 26 Cos are told they'll be funding a "Reconstruction" or "Equalisation" tax of €10bn per annum = i.e €4k each or €80 extra per week........
To misquote Clinton. "It's me pocket stoopid"
A no of 6Cos people already said on this Board that if a UI cost them money they wouldn't vote for it.
But we're expected to pay for it so that people,many of whom spend their time running down the "Free State" and "Free Staters" can continue to live in a subsidised basket case free gratis.
I'd say you could raise a good whack taxing the 2000 richest people on the Island
You could definitely introduce best practice into the civil services on both sides of the border.
You could cut a lot of fat out of health spending.
Partition has been  a catastrophe.
There is enough money to make the fourth green field productive again.
You absolutely, definitely, without any doubt could NOT introduce best practice to the civil service
It doesn't have to be shite
Here are a few examples of what was going on in 2010/11

Shane Ross in 2010 questioning Alan Dukes about the Anglo Board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RbE4ZHIzvTY#

Some 10 years ago, UCD law lecturer John O'Dowd and I conducted an analysis of why Ireland appeared to be permanently bogged down in tribunals of inquiry while jurisdictions such as the US and the UK managed to complete similar investigations much more rapidly and at far less cost.

A whistleblower's charter also enhances the threat of exposure. My TCD colleague Bill Kingston has long argued that it would have made much less likely such public-service failures as the lethal blood transfusions scandal, illegal charges for long-stay institutional care, Garda impropriety in Donegal, the PPARS health-service payroll system and the acquiescence of the Revenue Service to the demands of Charles Haughey.

Brian Cowen claimed after becoming taoiseach the economic decisions made by government over the boom period had
been made on the best advice available

In a private sector company the 'official regulatory accounts' would be dwarved internally by reams of management accounts, and performance management systems (including non ledger data). Such would be provided on a lot more timely basis, with directly accountable middle management required to explain/fix issues.
I can assure you, you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg of information deficiency in the PS. This deficiency is both allied to underinvestment, but more importantly cultural issues, where value for money is mostly not understood, let alone appreciated or chased.

THE HEALTH Service Executive has pledged to improve child protection services following reports which show up to 35 young people who were known to social services have died over the past 18 months.Most young people died from natural causes, followed by suicide, accidents and drug overdoses. The deaths include children who were known to social services or previously had contact with child protection services. Only three children were in the care system at the time of their death.

•   – Ireland needs a Tenders Act. I believe that there is a type of corruption about that is not all about brown envelopes. There is a cosy system that helps people in the know. €19 billion is being spent by public authorities annually and there is very little adherence to European laws or national government guidelines. It is unfair on those who tender and we are not getting value for money.
Billions worth of public contracts are not advertised. There is a great effort to circumvent the EU laws. Public service and public supply contracts, for example, with a value greater than €193,000 are being called public works contracts so they do not have to be advertised in OJEU across the EU unless the contract value is over €4.8 million. As a result, EU time limits and other rules do not apply.
There is the failure to use simple procedures, the failure to properly describe what is being purchased in the contract notice, the failure to be open as to how tenders are marked; and unnecessary demands are put on tenderers, such as high turnover requirement or too much paperwork. Worst of all is the failure to advertise the tender for a long time period prior to tender date. This is often done when someone in the know is lined up for the contract.

The new digital display at my bus stop in Phibsborough was not working this morning. May I suggest that Dublin Bus leave it off. The times displayed rarely relate to when the buses actually arrive. The map displayed at the bus stop could also go. It shows buses 47, 46e, 46a, 145, 39a, 17, 84, 75, 114, 47, 63, 185, and 184, which do not stop at this bus stop, but does not show buses 9, 83 or 140 that do stop at this bus stop (across the road from Phibsborough Shopping Centre).

The people are betrayed day after day

Mayo4Sam

Unions are to blame, its a f**king disgrace what they get away with
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Meanwhile the FT is reporting concerns that food supplies will come under threat if the UK leaves with no deal. Presumably this may include wine supplies for Belfast.

Rossfan

Unions represent their members which is their function.
Pre 1913 is not an option.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on July 21, 2018, 02:47:20 PM
Meanwhile the FT is reporting concerns that food supplies will come under threat if the UK leaves with no deal. Presumably this may include wine supplies for Belfast.

Will just have to mail order the wine in!  8)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2018, 02:57:29 PM

Can it be flown in, or stored on barges moored off the coast?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mouview on July 22, 2018, 01:40:05 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2018, 02:57:29 PM

Can it be flown in, or stored on barges moored off the coast?

Just drive it over the border... oh wait it costs a fortune gown there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cjx

Most older country IRA men were smugglers before they were IRA so hard brexit suits the hard men well. Add people to animals, white dust an daysel; while NI sits on the edge of recession right now. Border poll 2022 and all the other EU citizens Asians Africans and Hispanics including the Tyrone East Timorese with vote for United Ireland and 200k empire loyalists including the castle Catholics will flee Good riddance

Milltown Row2

Quote from: cjx on July 22, 2018, 11:35:45 AM
Most older country IRA men were smugglers before they were IRA so hard brexit suits the hard men well. Add people to animals, white dust an daysel; while NI sits on the edge of recession right now. Border poll 2022 and all the other EU citizens Asians Africans and Hispanics including the Tyrone East Timorese with vote for United Ireland and 200k empire loyalists including the castle Catholics will flee Good riddance

Edge of recession? Hasn't got over the last recession when the banks fucked everyone over!

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2018, 01:37:12 PM
Quote from: cjx on July 22, 2018, 11:35:45 AM

Edge of recession? Hasn't got over the last recession when the banks fucked everyone over!

Quite right, the wee 6 has not got over the last recession.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Stockpiles of medicine and food now fair play to someone putting in a bit of planning for this!!

I mean screaming "THIS IS ABSOLUTE MADNESS WHY DON'T WE JUST f**king STOP" in the middle of the house of Commons so that they actually back out of this madness is probably a better idea but maybe we should stick to the stockpiling.

johnnycool

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2018, 11:35:30 AM
Stockpiles of medicine and food now fair play to someone putting in a bit of planning for this!!

I mean screaming "THIS IS ABSOLUTE MADNESS WHY DON'T WE JUST f**king STOP" in the middle of the house of Commons so that they actually back out of this madness is probably a better idea but maybe we should stick to the stockpiling.

Ration books to be reintroduced.