Things that make you feel old...

Started by 5 Sams, November 04, 2016, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2019, 06:24:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 07, 2019, 06:17:49 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 07, 2019, 03:28:40 PM
The Karate Kid Daniel LaRusso turned 58 the other day. Next year will be thirty years since Margaret Thatcher resigned as Prime Minister and Nelson Mandela was released from prison.

Who calls her that? It's either Thatcher, Maggie or that aul ****.
Not Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven?

Oh aye, I left that one out.

seafoid

Being the far side of Galway hurling's 29 year drought
Northern Exposure by Sasha and Digweed is over 20 years old
Don't like any of the music our teenager plays in the car
Can remember when Unionists never mentioned a United Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tyrdub

Quote from: Ambrose on February 14, 2019, 09:04:00 PM
Being on the wrong side of 50 and the wife suggesting I start buying clothes from M&S  :-[

+1

illdecide

Just being told you have to get a full hip replacement at 46...and seeing the person hobbling out of the Doctors before you go in and them another clean shirt would do them. Always associated a hip replacement with pensioners although he did say i have the hip of a 70 year old :'(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on November 08, 2019, 09:39:04 AM
Just being told you have to get a full hip replacement at 46...and seeing the person hobbling out of the Doctors before you go in and them another clean shirt would do them. Always associated a hip replacement with pensioners although he did say i have the hip of a 70 year old :'(

That's going to have a serious impact on the old riding

Joeythelips

Realising players like Phil Foden for Man City were not even born when Man United won the treble makes me feel like time has passed me by and I am just 40

illdecide

Quote from: lurganblue on November 08, 2019, 10:28:38 AM
Quote from: illdecide on November 08, 2019, 09:39:04 AM

That's going to have a serious impact on the old riding

Devastated man, but it is what it is. Surprisingly he told me he'll have me on a fixed bike after 6 weeks
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tbrick18

When people you're own age start dying with health issues.
When you only meet most of your family at weddings/wakes/funerals
When your children think you grew up in the olden times and ask questions like "what's a world book?"...and the answer is "google in a book".
When your children don't know of a time before internet/youtube/snapchat
When you mention the troubles and you children haven't a clue what you're on about (not a bad thing)
When your idea of a good night out, is a nice meal with a few glasses of wine, home in bed by 11.
When you consider buying a Jag as your next car as they look comfortable.
When the new house you bought when you got married, starts having age related issues.
When you're buying a pair of trousers, you automatically go for the expandable waist just in case
When you're having a haircut and the barber starts trimming your eyebrows without asking
Sh*t....I'm old :(

imtommygunn

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 08, 2019, 11:44:46 AM
What is a world book though??

If you're not old enough to know, then you're too young to be on this thread! But you could always Google it.
;D

imtommygunn

;D

To be fair I think I heard of them years ago and it was more my parents didn't want to buy them than they didn't exist when I was young!

Ambrose

On this day 30 years ago Washington Down by The 4 Of Us entered the Irish singles chart at #19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNqQJs7fIc

Like a good wine, the song has improved with age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5mlI-yD47o&list=OLAK5uy_ld9u55qjAm4-He_7chuQAbuGKx9grYORo&index=4
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Tyrdub

Quote from: Ambrose on November 12, 2019, 02:34:05 PM
On this day 30 years ago Washington Down by The 4 Of Us entered the Irish singles chart at #19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNqQJs7fIc

Like a good wine, the song has improved with age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5mlI-yD47o&list=OLAK5uy_ld9u55qjAm4-He_7chuQAbuGKx9grYORo&index=4

I was at that concert in Thurles last year, thankfully I was one of the youngest there  ;) ;D ;D ;D

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 08, 2019, 02:31:09 PM
;D

To be fair I think I heard of them years ago and it was more my parents didn't want to buy them than they didn't exist when I was young!

There used to be world book door-to-door sales men.
Basically you buy maybe 20-30 encyclopaedia size books that had all the latest details on various topics. For example, there might have been a geography book or a Science book. So when you were doing your homework and you needed help, you could look it up in the world book.
I think there was a couple of options when buying them, a 1 off purchase or a subscription where you got updated versions every year.

A different time.

armaghniac

The thing about this thread that makes me feel old is that 5Sams started it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B