Ulster Final Fermanagh V Donegal Sunday 24th June

Started by never kickt a ball, June 06, 2018, 09:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2018, 07:03:33 PM
Neil McGee, predictably (and correctly in my opinion) will miss the match after his appeal failed.

Leaves us a bit short of muscle in the full back line against a sizable Fermanagh full forward line. Especially as his natural replacement and club mate, Kieran Gillespie, is still out injured.

Think midfield will be the winning of this. We presumably will push up again on the kick out, but I seriously doubt Fermanagh will be as clueless and ill-prepared as Down were, especially with big, capable men in midfield themselves. Will Fermanagh drop off us though like they did with Monaghan?

The question is whether that sizeable full forward line will be used. So far, Fermanagh have concentrated on creating overlaps and working the ball up, while keeping it tight at the back. We haven't seen the best of any of that first choice ff line due to that, but its a great plan B to have. Personally would like to see Seamie, Sean, and Tomas start, but hard to know whats going on with Seamie, and a more utility player with greater work rate may be preferred to Tomas (who was fantastic off the bench v monaghan).

Midfield definitely the key. Very impressed with Patton, but the key to the Down game was Downs kickouts, most of which were kicked to Donegal men. That shouldn't happen re Fermanagh, but still get the feeling Donegal definitely have an advantage on kick outs. I think the tendency will be to drop off on Donegal kick outs - but with Ryan McHugh in particular in superb form, running from deep is just another strength of Donegals.

The most likely scenario is for Fermanagh to keep it tight, but ultimately come up short - a scoring burst in the last 5/10 min putting a gloss on it for Donegal. But Fermanaghs defence and tackling has been superb, and if we can nick a goal or two, then a famous upset could be on the cards.

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

haranguerer

Christ its quiet. Foregone conclusion the opinion for many I guess

J70

I do not see why after what happened to Monaghan.

On the Donegal front, Bonner had some comments on the "treatment" Ryan McHugh receives.

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/hes-targeted-time-needs-looked-declan-bonner-ryan-mchugh

I didn't realize Down received THREE black cards for fouls on him!

haranguerer

Aye, Bonner making sure he got that one in. Hopefully Gough hasn't been reading the papers. Not sure there is any special (pre-meditated) attention as such; reckon its just a reflection of him being very hard to get to grips with. He was superb against Down - I hope he has a much more muted performance this weekend.

Giving a scorcher, and excitement starting to build!

J70

Almost every game he is cleaned out of it at least once.

Unless most small players in the competition receives the same abuse, one is forced to wonder how much of it is intentional.

haranguerer

I'm not saying its not intentional of course, they are intentional fouls - more that I'm not sure its a case of pre-meditated targeting of Ryan McHugh, rather than just him being on the receiving end as he beats men.

Rma13

Lads & lasses I am wondering if anyone is on the hunt for tickets for Sunday's final? I have 2 hill terrace tickets which are no longer required. If anyone is interested can they send me a PM.

Farrandeelin

Best of luck to Fermanagh today. Hopefully my 'lucky charm' of never losing an Ulster championship match I've attended can see them home.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

haranguerer

Hopefully! Excitement reaching fever pitch here, be some party if they bring it home!

skeog

Ryan Mc Hugh is the Tom Daley of the GAA world just Enda Mc Ginley on the button with his take on him.

seafoid

Good luck to Fermanagh. I don't think Donegal are the finished article so Fermanagh must have a decent chance.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2018/0621/972230-fermanagh-longform-pre-ulster-sfc-final/

"You usually see the kids in Tyrone and Donegal jerseys but now they are wearing Fermanagh jerseys and that's what we want to see.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

I'm intrigued to see how the system goes for Fermanagh today. They held Armagh to 0-7 who have since scored 1-19,3-16 in their recent games and held Monaghan to 0-10 who scored 1-18 v Tyrone and 5-21 yesterday.

If the system works again Fermanagh have every chance to create history and win their first ever Ulster title however this is a big occasion for them and sometimes systems can have their malfunctions...

omagh_gael