Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Clones wasn't chosen over other grounds in the 1980s, it was already long the major venue in Ulster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ck

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2010, 11:08:38 PM
Clones wasn't chosen over other grounds in the 1980s, it was already long the major venue in Ulster.

Yes it was! Yes it was the existing major venue however when funding became available major debate ensued as to how best it could be spent. Clones was selected and status quo maintained. The debate at the time was that Casement was a better long term option to develop and the only reason Clones was in the mix was because it was the existing provincial ground, not because it was the best choice! Tax was also a consideration at the time.
There was a serious lack of forsight at that time in my opinion and Clones was developed over other grounds based on very small minded rationale.

Applesisapples

I hadn't thought about it until another poster mentioned it, but the atmosphere at Clones is something else. I'm not sure whether I would prefer the convenience of Casement to the craic in Clones.

drici

Maguire01

A roof on Casement could have saved a few games today. Double-header + indoor stadium + well marketed = 15-20,000 at a McKenna Cup tie.

Big Puff

Details of Government funding for the upgrading of Northern Ireland's three main sporting venues has been released.

The Irish Football Association receives £25m to upgrade Windsor Park plus £36m to improve some other stadia and set up a new national training centre.

The Ulster Council of the GAA will get a similar sum to help make Casement Park a 40,000 all-seated stadium.

There will be £14.7m to enable Ulster Rugby to build new and upgrade existing stands at Ravenhill.

It is believed Ulster have been allocated almost £15m which will be released in stages and go towards building a new stand at the Cregagh Road end and a replacement of the old stand.

NI sports minister Nelson McCausland said the development would benefit health, tourism, business and the overall Northern Ireland economy.

He said it would help attract major sporting events to Northern Ireland.

President of the Irish FA, Jim Shaw, welcomed the cash injection.

"It is a privilege to be part of a legacy that will remain in Northern Ireland for years to come."

Maguire01

McCausland has done a good deal for soccer. Originally they were only getting half of what the GAA were due. Not sure how he can justify them getting money for other grounds as well. Especially rough on Rugby - Ulster gets similar crowds at Ravenhill to Norn Iron at Windsor.

snatter

wtf is this extra £36 million to soccer about?
How can their pathetic LOI attendances justify this amount?
Yet again the leeches get preferential treatment well out of proportion to the crowds they attract.

ck

Great to see Casement being transformed into an all-seater 40,000 seater. Agree with sentiments above, the rugby seem to have lost out slightly compared to soccer. The 3 men and their dog will now have nice facilities.

Ulick

Talking to a few rugby lads in work today and they are raging about this. How that bigot McCausland can justify giving that much to soccer is beyond even the most cynical especially when rugby gets so little and other sports get nothing (athletics were looking a million to upgrade tracks at the Mary Peters). The worst about it as we all know, given the past form of the IFA, a fair chunk of that money will be pissed up a wall somewhere.

DoireGael

Quote from: Ulick on March 11, 2011, 11:34:54 AM
Talking to a few rugby lads in work today and they are raging about this. How that bigot McCausland can justify giving that much to soccer is beyond even the most cynical especially when rugby gets so little and other sports get nothing (athletics were looking a million to upgrade tracks at the Mary Peters). The worst about it as we all know, given the past form of the IFA, a fair chunk of that money will be pissed up a wall somewhere.

+1

Applesisapples

What would you expect from this small minded bigot, ah well, it will enable the little Englanders who follow Norn Iron to belt out the Billy Boys, GSTQ and Rule Britannia in comfort.

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Milltown Row2

Aye the brickies haven't stopped!! Seen a bulldozer heading towards Casement but it ended up in Tyrone at a service station ATM!!

Big Jim has been buying pints all week in the lounge and all the spectators on Sunday were given a tenner each for their troubles!!

Casement won't get anything done for a while yet, Think we will make a bid for the stand ;D ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians