Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

wasnt there plans of the redevelopment in the irish news in the not so distant past? i think it included a walk way to a carpark right beside the M1

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 09, 2010, 11:44:05 AM
But you'll be stuck in traffic no matter where the match is. You won't be out of Casement in 10 minutes either.

I think I've just has a déjà vu moment!!   ::)

I'm very much open to correction on this, but as I recall, when mention was made of the £50 million available to do up Casement, there was alos talk that this was only half the investment needed, and that the idea was to invest something like £100 million? Obviously the remainder will have to be found by the Ulster Council elsewhere - anyone else recall this, or is it a figment of my imagination?   

Maguire01

Quote from: The Worker on October 09, 2010, 02:26:28 PM
wasnt there plans of the redevelopment in the irish news in the not so distant past? i think it included a walk way to a carpark right beside the M1
Yeah, there were plans for a footbridge across the M1 to a car park at Musgrave. I'd assume all traffic would still come off at the Stockman's Lane junction if that was to happen.

The Worker

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 09, 2010, 04:03:47 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 09, 2010, 02:26:28 PM
Yeah, there were plans for a footbridge across the M1 to a car park at Musgrave. I'd assume all traffic would still come off at the Stockman's Lane junction if that was to happen.

anyone got a link to these plans? would love another look at them

would be great to get one of the best stadias on the island in belfast

Eamonnca1

Why are people being so dismissive of the idea of a stadium in West Belfast having non-sports use in addition to hosting games? Are they aware that there are hotels and conference centres in Belfast? Are they aware that Belfast has a bustling retail trade? Are they aware that West Belfast could use a bit of commercial development like this? (Psst! They have museums and a university in Belfast too!) And to answer someone's question, yes, I have been to Casement. Many times.

The argument about access seems to be that putting 35,000 people into a single location is going to make it hard for them all to get in and out, therefore Casement is a bad choice. Well how, pray tell, is that different from any other location for a stadium?  It doesn't matter where you put the thing, access is always going to be tricky.  Even if you put it out in the middle of nowhere at the atmosphere-free Maze site you'd have the same problem. No matter how many access/egress points you put in, it's going to take a while to get back onto the road.

One more thing. What's the big rush? Does anyone here ever go to a major match and expect to be able to jump in the car and speed off without any delays? Is it really such a big deal that you have to wait a while?

Personally, anytime I go to an AI final I park in that college nearby.  After the match we take a walk down O'Connell St and have a bite to eat in the Kylemore Cafe.  By the time we saunter back up to the college most of the rest of the match traffic is long gone.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 09, 2010, 11:41:32 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 09, 2010, 10:11:26 AM
Quote from: mrgaa1 on October 09, 2010, 09:13:09 AM
Personally I thought the maze project was a better option for all sports. 

No way.

1. Maze is in an area which would be mostly hostile to GAA fans - you think the clampers around Croke are bad? You'd have some fun returning to a row of cars with windows out.

2. The pitch sizes of the 3 sports are incompatible - as was clearly seen by the lack of atmosphere at Croke for all games bar the rugby v England and France.

3. There are no facilities at the maze. Such facilities would be built solely for use on match days, and would never be able to survive the rest of the year. Leading to temporary stuff which would be rubbish.

4. It would be an all-seater stadium. I do not want an all seater stadium. I am sure many, many others are of the same opinion.

5. The crowds for an Ulster final far outweigh the crowds for Ulster or Norn Iron games, tickets were available for Ravenhill last night as late as wednesday, maybe even at the gate. That is a ~15K capacity stadium which was not full for a Heineken cup game. Norn Iron, well.... I dunno what kinda numbers they would get - hard to judge based on Windsor.

6. There would be no social scene around the Maze. Many have their pre and post game social arrangements for Casement, Clones, Ravenhill or Windsor. Such a thing simply wouldn't be possible at an isolated stadium built in the middle of nowhere.
That's the plan for Casement too.

I know... but I'm bitching about that too  :D
i usse an speelchekor

Orangemac

Seems like a complete waste of money.

How many times has Casement been full in the last 10 years?

How many times a year would an all seater be full?

There is £50m earmarked for GAA stadia. Could the GAA not cut a deal that it would get £40/£45 million and allocate this to clubs throughout Ulster?

The last thing we need is another white elephant like the Gaelic Grounds.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Orangemac on October 11, 2010, 11:12:45 PM
Seems like a complete waste of money.

How many times has Casement been full in the last 10 years?

How many times a year would an all seater be full?

There is £50m earmarked for GAA stadia. Could the GAA not cut a deal that it would get £40/£45 million and allocate this to clubs throughout Ulster?

The last thing we need is another white elephant like the Gaelic Grounds.
It's not up for debate.  If the GAA get the cash, it has to be spent in redeveloping Casement.  The end.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ziggysego

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 11, 2010, 11:18:47 PM
It's not up for debate.  If the GAA get the cash, it has to be spent in redeveloping Casement.  The end.

I give up ardmhachaabu, it's like talking to a brick wall!  :D
Testing Accessibility

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ziggysego on October 11, 2010, 11:30:50 PM

I give up ardmhachaabu, it's like talking to a brick wall!  :D
You are telling me!  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

RadioGAAGAA

I dunno.

Knowing the weasel words of politicans, there are probably exceptions and loopholes.

After all, if an hotel/conf centre were to be built - linking that to the act of building a stand to view a football match is tenuous!
i usse an speelchekor

ExiledGael

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 13, 2010, 12:05:46 PM

I dunno.

Knowing the weasel words of politicans, there are probably exceptions and loopholes.

How long before the row erupts about changing the name of the stadium too if it is to be funded by the government..

armaghniac

QuoteHow long before the row erupts about changing the name of the stadium too if it is to be funded by the government..

Sure wasn't Casement a knight of the British Empire.

in any case the people who attend Casement Park also pay taxes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on October 13, 2010, 06:27:34 PM
QuoteHow long before the row erupts about changing the name of the stadium too if it is to be funded by the government..

Sure wasn't Casement a knight of the British Empire.

in any case the people who attend Casement Park also pay taxes.

f**k 'em.

If they wanna go down that road, then I'm sure they'll be happy to get Liverpool (and a few others) to rename the Spion Kop.
i usse an speelchekor