Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 07, 2010, 08:39:01 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on October 06, 2010, 07:47:56 PM
Take the money and build it on the new for far less at the Maze.

Better still build a new school or two for the same money.
Why do we need new schools with many of them not having enough pupils and some even having staff ....but no pupils. Belfast is the Capital City of Ulster ( 9 County Not The Wee Province) and all the traffic does not have to desend on casement, think rail service with bus links and the Sprucefield park and ride....no brainer.

Is Finaghy the nearest rail station?

Applesisapples

there'd be no problem getting shuttle buses from great victoria.

andoireabu

Can anyone tell me why it HAS to be spent on stadia and nowhere else? 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 06, 2010, 10:46:26 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 06, 2010, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 06, 2010, 06:54:31 PM
Has there ever been 35,000 people at a game in Casement?

Up until the Ulster Finals were recently taken to Croke Park, Casement held the record attendance for an Ulster Final, when a crowd of over 41,000 attended the Down v Armagh Ulster Final of 1961. In more recent years, the biggest attendance that i can recall was the 1992 Ulster semi-final between Down and Derry, and the attendance that day (from memory) was somewhere in the region of 35,000.
1961 is irrelevant - how many of the 41,000 came by car?

Then you should have qualified your original question!!   ::)

Maguire01

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 07, 2010, 07:00:42 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 06, 2010, 10:46:26 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 06, 2010, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 06, 2010, 06:54:31 PM
Has there ever been 35,000 people at a game in Casement?

Up until the Ulster Finals were recently taken to Croke Park, Casement held the record attendance for an Ulster Final, when a crowd of over 41,000 attended the Down v Armagh Ulster Final of 1961. In more recent years, the biggest attendance that i can recall was the 1992 Ulster semi-final between Down and Derry, and the attendance that day (from memory) was somewhere in the region of 35,000.
1961 is irrelevant - how many of the 41,000 came by car?

Then you should have qualified your original question!!   ::)
Why? We were talking about access to and communting to the ground. I would have thought it was obvious.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 07, 2010, 08:39:01 AM
Belfast is the Capital City of Ulster ( 9 County Not The Wee Province) and all the traffic does not have to desend on casement, think rail service with bus links and the Sprucefield park and ride....no brainer.
Is Belfast the Capital City of Ulster? Do the provinces have capital cities?

Anyway, as for Casement and rail services, that's fine for the small proprtion of Ulster GAA fans close to our 'vast' rail network. It would be interesting to know how many people currently use rail to travel to games in Casement. I can't imagine it being too significant.

As for busses or Park and Ride schemes, there's no reason why the same couldn't be done for Clones to relieve congestion. Part and ride from Monaghan. It's not something that could only be a solution for Casement. The uptake on such schemes would be another matter altogether.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 07, 2010, 07:12:28 PM
Why? We were talking about access to and communting to the ground. I would have thought it was obvious.

Well that being the case, did not 41,000 access the ground in 1961?

And you don't think they travelled by car? What then were the alternatives? Are you arguing they came by rail? There is little or no difference to the geographical spread of the rail system today, compared to back then - certainly for the competing counties. That being the case then, would that not support the extension of Casement Park to a 40,000 seater?

Maguire01

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 07, 2010, 07:23:21 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 07, 2010, 07:12:28 PM

Well that being the case, did not 41,000 access the ground in 1961?

And you don't think they travelled by car? What then were the alternatives? Are you arguing they came by rail? There is little or no difference to the geographical spread of the rail system today, compared to back then - certainly for the competing counties. That being the case then, would that not support the extension of Casement Park to a 40,000 seater?
I'd say a lot travelled by bus. For that game, probably more than normal by rail, but then Armagh and Down are two of the counties better served by the network - that won't be the case for people travelling from Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Tyrone. I think the only difference in the rail network between now and then was the Portadown - Omagh - Strabane - Derry line, closed around 1965.

Bord na Mona man

Banging an old drum here, but 40,000 seats is a total waste.
How about 10-15k seated and 20-25k terracing?

Build 40,000 seats and seats numbered 35,000-40,000 will probably only be occupied once every couple of years.
When it breaks down to roughly €1,000 per seat when you construct a seated stand, this makes no economic sense.

snoopdog

God there is really a shortage of rocket scientists on this topic.
Look the Northern Ireland Assembly was given 100 million years ago to build one stadium for all sports in NI(ie 6 counties)
The IFA couldnt agree to anything so the money was split for the 3,
GAA got 50,000,000 as its the biggest sporting org in the North
Ulster Rugby get 30,000,000
IFa get 20,000,000 cause no one watches them.
This money is for nothing else only this.
All 50,000,000 goes to the building of a GAA stadium within the 6 counties.
Sooner its built the better.
Clones is a kip.full of pissed up teenagers, not a nice atmosphere to bring the children too.

Eamonnca1

Personally I've always liked the atmosphere at Clones, but anyway...

Rather than fill the country with Croke Parks that are seldom going to be filled, the emphasis should be on smaller but better stadiums.  That means better safety (i.e. all-seater with modern design) better comfort (i.e. plastic seats and a roof) and better access.  40,000 sounds like a perfectly reasonable capacity for high profile Ulster championship matches.  If it's Armagh and Tyrone and you're expecting 60,000 then throw the game into Croke Park.

This argument that the stadium will spend most of its time unused could be applied to any stadium no matter how much it costs to develop.  The only way to overcome that is to be clever in how you design the thing. Make it multi-use. The Reebok Stadium in Bolton is a 'hotel shaped like a football stadium', its cash registers keep on ringing whether there's a game on or not. Old Trafford has a big merchandise store and visitors' centre built in. Croke Park has all sorts of conference and wedding facilities built in to keep the income flowing.

fitzroyalty

I'd say a new Casement stadium could help rejuvinate West Belfast. I think it is only fitting that Ireland's second city has a decent stadium for our national games, like Eamonmaca1 says it needn't sit idle for most of the year like people are saying! Huge possibilities and if £50m is being thrown our way we may as well use it. Conference centre, museum, hotel/restuarant, etc etc to keep it ticking over - Never mind f**king Clones, absolute rat-race getting in and out of the place! Belfast is far more accessible!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 07, 2010, 10:16:00 PM
That means better safety (i.e. all-seater with modern design)

Jesus, here we go.

Another f**king health and safety drone.

Name a problem at a GAA ground that would have been avoided by having an all-seater stadium. Just one.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 07, 2010, 10:21:48 PM
Conference centre, museum, hotel/restuarant, etc etc

:D

Like take your points says.... You ever been?

You are not going to have a conference centre on the andytown road. Nor a museum, or a hotel! It is not Jones Rd, or even close.
i usse an speelchekor