Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Sure this stadium is for concerts and maybe the Belfast franchise of professional GAA in 2030 ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 11, 2017, 08:59:24 AM
Is there park and ride facilities for Croke Park or the Aviva?

If Casement was still in operation would a new park and ride be required??

Surely improving links to Great Victoria/Central station would be more appropriate?
No, in the same way as Ravenhill, Aviva and Croke Park cars are abandoned in the closest residential streets. The proximity of Casement to the roundabout at the top of Kennedy Way makes it is even more difficult to accommodate even a modest increase in capacity so there would need to be wholesale infrastructure changes in the area. All not worth the hassle for Casement imo.

Atticus_Finch

I'm sure this has been posted before but could any kind soul tell me what the actual status of the proposed plans are and what the envisaged timelines involved are, please.

Last I heard, Casement was still part of the Rugby World Cup Proposal plans.

Have revised plans been submitted for approval and if so when are they due to get the decision on it ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 11, 2017, 01:00:02 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 11, 2017, 08:59:24 AM
Is there park and ride facilities for Croke Park or the Aviva?

If Casement was still in operation would a new park and ride be required??

Surely improving links to Great Victoria/Central station would be more appropriate?
No, in the same way as Ravenhill, Aviva and Croke Park cars are abandoned in the closest residential streets. The proximity of Casement to the roundabout at the top of Kennedy Way makes it is even more difficult to accommodate even a modest increase in capacity so there would need to be wholesale infrastructure changes in the area. All not worth the hassle for Casement imo.

Now there is no roundabout and the Rapid Transit system will take away two of the lanes for cars so no parking anywhere on the road. Hence, the park and ride from the Maze site.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on October 11, 2017, 01:48:41 PM
I'm sure this has been posted before but could any kind soul tell me what the actual status of the proposed plans are and what the envisaged timelines involved are, please.

Last I heard, Casement was still part of the Rugby World Cup Proposal plans.

Have revised plans been submitted for approval and if so when are they due to get the decision on it ?

There was definitely a redesign with a reduced capacity something like 34000 and a reduced height of the stadium but were they are regarding planning permission is anyones guess it seems to be moving backwards despite the alleged cost accumulating with each passing week.

Milltown Row2

What's happening with the site where Andytown leisure centre is? New centre or housing? Does the back of it reach down to the motorway?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2017, 06:55:25 PM
What's happening with the site where Andytown leisure centre is? New centre or housing? Does the back of it reach down to the motorway?

Don't know but always felt the gaa missed a trick by not getting access to the grounds at the back to aid circulation in an emergency situation

Milltown Row2

A simple off slip would be handy but harder to get back on motorway though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: general_lee on October 11, 2017, 12:28:30 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 10, 2017, 10:40:48 PM
Time to give up on Casement.

Either expand Armagh or build a new stadium that's handy for all Ulster.
I'm starting to agree with this. I'd scratch the plans for 30k at Casement and redevelop on a much smaller scale, maybe a 10k facility to suit Antrim's needs. I see they are playing their county final in Glenavy ::) they've gone long enough without a decent stadium to cater for club finals and county games. The SF wet dream of a major stadium in west Belfast is costing too much and the longer it goes on the less I want to see it. Even the people in west Belfast don't seem too fussed so pull the plug and give the GAA a lump sum to develop other provincial stadia where they'll be appreciated.

Armagh hosts lots of neutral games, Ulster club, McKenna cup etc. It's handy for a lot of counties, more than Casement would be.

For example, if Tyrone played Monaghan in McKenna final, it would make no sense to take that to Casement. Or if it hosted ulster semis, what's the sense taking the likes of Donegal v Fermanagh there too?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 11, 2017, 08:17:47 PM

I'm starting to agree with this. I'd scratch the plans for 30k at Casement and redevelop on a much smaller scale, maybe a 10k facility to suit Antrim's needs. I see they are playing their county final in Glenavy ::) they've gone long enough without a decent stadium to cater for club finals and county games. The SF wet dream of a major stadium in west Belfast is costing too much and the longer it goes on the less I want to see it. Even the people in west Belfast don't seem too fussed so pull the plug and give the GAA a lump sum to develop other provincial stadia where they'll be appreciated.

Armagh hosts lots of neutral games, Ulster club, McKenna cup etc. It's handy for a lot of counties, more than Casement would be.

For example, if Tyrone played Monaghan in McKenna final, it would make no sense to take that to Casement. Or if it hosted ulster semis, what's the sense taking the likes of Donegal v Fermanagh there too?

so why Tyrone v Armagh head to Croke or Derry Down head to Croke? Why not keep it up north all the grounds will be used as normal just the finals will be at Casement instead of Clones

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2017, 06:55:25 PM

Its getting a muti million pound makeover. I wouldnt be suprised if it includes a multi story car park.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2017, 08:59:05 PM

so why Tyrone v Armagh head to Croke or Derry Down head to Croke? Why not keep it up north all the grounds will be used as normal just the finals will be at Casement instead of Clones

If you're referring to 05, I agree, it shouldn't have went to Croke Park.

Is it worth building a 34,000 stadium just to hold an ulster final? It's daft. A provincial ground in Armagh would get far more use (and does) than Casement stuck at one end of the province.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 11, 2017, 11:41:42 AM
the new Rapid Transit system for Belfast

They are called buses.

Call a spade a spade.

If they build tramways, or a subway, call it a rapid transit system. Not a few f**king posters rebadging a citybus.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 11, 2017, 11:13:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2017, 08:59:05 PM

If you're referring to 05, I agree, it shouldn't have went to Croke Park.

Is it worth building a 34,000 stadium just to hold an ulster final? It's daft. A provincial ground in Armagh would get far more use (and does) than Casement stuck at one end of the province.

I'm confused, is Croke Park on one side of the country?

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2017, 06:45:13 PM
I'm confused, is Croke Park on one side of the country?

Only on an East-West axis, on a North South Axis it is pretty central.
And the locals actually go there sometimes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B