Author Topic: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.  (Read 275620 times)

Croí na hÉireann

• There's Always Next Year...
    • View Profile
Re: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.
« Reply #2625 on: October 11, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
Is there park and ride facilities for Croke Park or the Aviva?

If Casement was still in operation would a new park and ride be required??

Surely improving links to Great Victoria/Central station would be more appropriate?
no officail park and ride though a local college and school open their premises in a semi official way as in the gaa tell people they are there but do nothing for them . an example of this is oconnel schoold have a walkway  ou the back of the car park leading directly into Croke Park but Croke park object to them opening it cause about a 15 minute walk around instead .
Dublin coulcil do everything they can to make Visits as unpleasant as possible promising to clamp any one street parked within a mile and a half of Croker

You have to know where to park. I've parked with 700m of Croker on AI final day no problem, follow the on street parking signs and you can't go wrong.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
Time to give up on Casement.

Either expand Armagh or build a new stadium that's handy for all Ulster.
I'm starting to agree with this. I'd scratch the plans for 30k at Casement and redevelop on a much smaller scale, maybe a 10k facility to suit Antrim's needs. I see they are playing their county final in Glenavy ::) they've gone long enough without a decent stadium to cater for club finals and county games. The SF wet dream of a major stadium in west Belfast is costing too much and the longer it goes on the less I want to see it. Even the people in west Belfast don't seem too fussed so pull the plug and give the GAA a lump sum to develop other provincial stadia where they'll be appreciated.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
Sure this stadium is for concerts and maybe the Belfast franchise of professional GAA in 2030 ;)

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »

Surely improving links to Great Victoria/Central station would be more appropriate?
No, in the same way as Ravenhill, Aviva and Croke Park cars are abandoned in the closest residential streets. The proximity of Casement to the roundabout at the top of Kennedy Way makes it is even more difficult to accommodate even a modest increase in capacity so there would need to be wholesale infrastructure changes in the area. All not worth the hassle for Casement imo.

Atticus_Finch

• View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: October 11, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
I'm sure this has been posted before but could any kind soul tell me what the actual status of the proposed plans are and what the envisaged timelines involved are, please.

Last I heard, Casement was still part of the Rugby World Cup Proposal plans.

Have revised plans been submitted for approval and if so when are they due to get the decision on it ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: October 11, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »

No, in the same way as Ravenhill, Aviva and Croke Park cars are abandoned in the closest residential streets. The proximity of Casement to the roundabout at the top of Kennedy Way makes it is even more difficult to accommodate even a modest increase in capacity so there would need to be wholesale infrastructure changes in the area. All not worth the hassle for Casement imo.

Now there is no roundabout and the Rapid Transit system will take away two of the lanes for cars so no parking anywhere on the road. Hence, the park and ride from the Maze site.

JPGJOHNNYG

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »
I'm sure this has been posted before but could any kind soul tell me what the actual status of the proposed plans are and what the envisaged timelines involved are, please.

Last I heard, Casement was still part of the Rugby World Cup Proposal plans.

Have revised plans been submitted for approval and if so when are they due to get the decision on it ?

There was definitely a redesign with a reduced capacity something like 34000 and a reduced height of the stadium but were they are regarding planning permission is anyones guess it seems to be moving backwards despite the alleged cost accumulating with each passing week.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #2632 on: October 11, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »

Now there is no roundabout and the Rapid Transit system will take away two of the lanes for cars so no parking anywhere on the road. Hence, the park and ride from the Maze site.
Rapid transport indeed. The road is a feckin ballix these days.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 11, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
What's happening with the site where Andytown leisure centre is? New centre or housing? Does the back of it reach down to the motorway?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

JPGJOHNNYG

• View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 11, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
What's happening with the site where Andytown leisure centre is? New centre or housing? Does the back of it reach down to the motorway?

Don't know but always felt the gaa missed a trick by not getting access to the grounds at the back to aid circulation in an emergency situation

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
A simple off slip would be handy but harder to get back on motorway though
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »

I'm starting to agree with this. I'd scratch the plans for 30k at Casement and redevelop on a much smaller scale, maybe a 10k facility to suit Antrim's needs. I see they are playing their county final in Glenavy ::) they've gone long enough without a decent stadium to cater for club finals and county games. The SF wet dream of a major stadium in west Belfast is costing too much and the longer it goes on the less I want to see it. Even the people in west Belfast don't seem too fussed so pull the plug and give the GAA a lump sum to develop other provincial stadia where they'll be appreciated.

Armagh hosts lots of neutral games, Ulster club, McKenna cup etc. It's handy for a lot of counties, more than Casement would be.

For example, if Tyrone played Monaghan in McKenna final, it would make no sense to take that to Casement. Or if it hosted ulster semis, what's the sense taking the likes of Donegal v Fermanagh there too?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »

Armagh hosts lots of neutral games, Ulster club, McKenna cup etc. It's handy for a lot of counties, more than Casement would be.

For example, if Tyrone played Monaghan in McKenna final, it would make no sense to take that to Casement. Or if it hosted ulster semis, what's the sense taking the likes of Donegal v Fermanagh there too?

so why Tyrone v Armagh head to Croke or Derry Down head to Croke? Why not keep it up north all the grounds will be used as normal just the finals will be at Casement instead of Clones

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

Its getting a muti million pound makeover. I wouldnt be suprised if it includes a multi story car park.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:31:55 PM by Jeepers Creepers »

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »

so why Tyrone v Armagh head to Croke or Derry Down head to Croke? Why not keep it up north all the grounds will be used as normal just the finals will be at Casement instead of Clones

If you're referring to 05, I agree, it shouldn't have went to Croke Park.

Is it worth building a 34,000 stadium just to hold an ulster final? It's daft. A provincial ground in Armagh would get far more use (and does) than Casement stuck at one end of the province.