Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Quote from: rrhf on September 30, 2013, 05:47:29 PM
Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

And what happens to Healy Park? And where's Antrim county ground?

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on September 30, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

And what happens to Healy Park? And where's Antrim county ground
[/b]

Healy park stays as Tyrone home ground and casement stays as Antrim county pitch.

armaghniac

QuoteHealy park stays as Tyrone home ground and casement stays as Antrim county pitch.

Would this new super stadium be like a Christmas tree, used for 2 weeks of the year?

If the GAA are prevented from building in Belfast by residents, they should donate Casement to the Travellers Housing association.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 30, 2013, 10:25:09 PM
Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

[/b]

Healy park stays as Tyrone home ground and casement stays as Antrim county pitch.

Healy Park is underused as it is. You'd have two big stadiums in Tyrone, with the new one being used only for an Ulster final. Talk about a White elephant!

Dougal Maguire

There's a tree along the ditch in the field behind my house. Over the 20 years I've been here it's been getting bigger and is now causing a shadow over the bottom of my back garden in the evening. Is it okay if I cut it down?
Careful now

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on September 30, 2013, 11:22:43 PM
Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

[/b]

Healy Park is underused as it is. You'd have two big stadiums in Tyrone, with the new one being used only for an Ulster final. Talk about a White elephant!

The whole project for me appears to be something of a white elephant anyways so if it has to be built why not at least make it accessible to the majority of the GAA public in the province rather than stuck in a city which has little interest in Gaelic games in an area where it's not wanted.

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 30, 2013, 11:33:20 PM
Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

[/b]

The whole project for me appears to be something of a white elephant anyways so if it has to be built why not at least make it accessible to the majority of the GAA public in the province rather than stuck in a city which has little interest in Gaelic games in an area where it's not wanted.

A city with little interest in GAA... Hmm, sounds familiar. Maybe the GAA could throw millions into Belfast and get Antrim hurling and football to the top.

I agree to a point. If you're going to build an all seated stadium that would host Ulster finals/Rules/QFs etc, then a more central venue in Ulster would be better. Like Armagh/Dungannon/Cookstown or whatever. But every county has a relatively new 18,000+ stadium except Antrim. So it makes sense to kill two birds with the one stone, and put it in Belfast.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on September 30, 2013, 11:45:24 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 30, 2013, 11:33:20 PM
Dungannon
Centre of Ulster
Strong GAA town,
Good location
Decent Pubs
M1
The kings of Ulster..

[/b]

A city with little interest in GAA... Hmm, sounds familiar. Maybe the GAA could throw millions into Belfast and get Antrim hurling and football to the top.

I agree to a point. If you're going to build an all seated stadium that would host Ulster finals/Rules/QFs etc, then a more central venue in Ulster would be better. Like Armagh/Dungannon/Cookstown or whatever. But every county has a relatively new 18,000+ stadium except Antrim. So it makes sense to kill two birds with the one stone, and put it in Belfast.

Is it worth the bad PR to force it on the residents with out their consent ?
The GAA could spend as many millions as they like in Belfast it wouldn't make a difference at least Dublin had a football tradition to work on better spending in the glens.

The only questions I need answered is if Casement development dose not go ahead do Donaghmore have to give back their new seats ?

Did the Antrim County Board sell of the furniture a little early ?

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 01, 2013, 12:00:52 AM
The GAA could spend as many millions as they like in Belfast it wouldn't make a difference at least Dublin had a football tradition to work on better spending in the glens.

St Gall's won the AI Club and got to the final another time. St Gall's hurlers reached a Club final too a few years ago. How is that not a good GAA tradition in Belfast? And that's just one club. It shouldn't be just Dublin that benefits from massive handouts, but other cities/counties too.

The Casement/residents thing is a different issue. It needs to be sorted though, but I still believe Casement will go ahead. It might just be later than expected.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2013, 12:13:56 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 01, 2013, 12:00:52 AM

St Gall's won the AI Club and got to the final another time. St Gall's hurlers reached a Club final too a few years ago. How is that not a good GAA tradition in Belfast? And that's just one club. It shouldn't be just Dublin that benefits from massive handouts, but other cities/counties too.

The Casement/residents thing is a different issue. It needs to be sorted though, but I still believe Casement will go ahead. It might just be later than expected.

Benny to be perfectly honest I hope it doesn't go ahead at all and certainly not in Belfast.  Why should people from Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Fermanagh, Derry, West Tyrone,  South Down and Armagh be expected to travel greater distances to Ulster Semis and Finals than they currently do. These area's are the heartlands of the GAA in Ulster and as such the location of their premium games should not be as far away for them. Add in the fact that Belfast is not the most welcoming of places for visiting GAA people particularly at the time of year these games are played. It just takesone bad year of marches before the Ulster Final is targeted for disruption.

Dougal Maguire

Croppy lie down
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

snatter

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 30, 2013, 11:26:20 PM
There's a tree along the ditch in the field behind my house. Over the 20 years I've been here it's been getting bigger and is now causing a shadow over the bottom of my back garden in the evening. Is it okay if I cut it down?

If the tree is evergreen, and is one of at least a pair, then yes, you can force them to cut it down.
On the grounds of unacceptable loss of daylight, and visual amenity.

The same reasons why the GAA haven't been able to propose putting a roof on the deepest stand in the proposed £75 Casement stadium. The roof would have been too close to the apartments on the other side of the Andytown Rd, giving them unacceptable loss of daylight, and visual amenity.

The residents alongside the shallower main stands at the sides of the pitch may or may not lose an unacceptable amount of daylight depending on how transparent the transparent roof material is, and how often it gets cleaned.

But they'll definately lose visual amenity, having to look directly into the side of a building whose height  dwarves their houses and gardens.