Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: drici on September 14, 2013, 04:54:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 14, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
Quote from: drici on September 13, 2013, 09:36:48 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 12, 2013, 06:44:03 PM

Capacity was reduced by 4,000 due to health and safety requirements.

Aye - throw up a link for that.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/standing-room-only-as-the-field-begins-to-narrow-1.1477382

if Health & Safety measures hadn't reduced the capacity of Clones by 4,000 from what it was last year, we would have easily filled those as well.

"We had demand for almost 10,000 tickets over capacity for the Ulster final."

You're welcome.

No No - a link to the Health and Safety people - not a statement from one of them three hours of sunlight boys.
I doubt they're online, but knock yourself out if you're interested enough to search for it. All I know is the reported attendance, the reported reduction in capacity, and the fact that I knew of people unable to get a ticket. If that's not enough for you, that's your problem.

drici

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 14, 2013, 05:20:41 PM

I doubt they're online, but knock yourself out if you're interested enough to search for it. All I know is the reported attendance, the reported reduction in capacity, and the fact that I knew of people unable to get a ticket. If that's not enough for you, that's your problem.

No link then.

Maguire01

Quote from: drici on September 14, 2013, 05:25:52 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 14, 2013, 05:20:41 PM

No link then.
http://ulster.gaa.ie/2013/07/heat-and-intensity-anticipated-for-clones/

Eamonnca1

I think only a signed affidavit from the original source will do.

Walter Cronc

Jarlath Burns' article from this weeks Gaelic Life. Discuss!!

LAST week, I had reason to wander round west Belfast and rub shoulders with the big movers and shakers in the Casement Park Project. Tom Daly is the chair of the development committee. A former chair of Ulster GAA, he was definitely GAA Presidential material, but decided at the last minute not to run. He has been working tirelessly, along with Ryan Feeney, Stephen McGeehan and many others, to turn this project from blueprint, through bureaucracy to building. I don't envy their task. There are people for form filling, feasibility studies, hoop jumping and delicate diplomacy and I know my limits. This project, more than most, has required the skills only of those who would be prepared for the longest of hauls. Remember, the money was initially put aside for a multi-use stadium at the Maze/Long Kesh and the gut feeling of Ulster GAA people was to stay clear or bail out at the last minute. Thankfully, Danny Murphy knew what he was at and in a remarkable piece of skilled leadership, and tactics which would do justice to any poker player, he ensured that when that particular house of cards came tumbling down, the GAA were the last man standing. This left us totally entitled to our share of the cake when it would be divided out along the inevitable sectarian/sporting lines. And it was quite a large cake. £61.4 million which would be augmented by a further £15m from the GAA. A lot of money, and badly needed. It is easy to say that Ulster doesn't need a proper stadium. One can point to Clones, to Breffni and the plethora of other smaller grounds that could adequately serve the needs of Ulster Gaels over the next ten years, but this would be to miss the point. Yes, we do have a lot of grounds, but nothing for the future, nothing which could evenly remotely be compared to Croke Park, the Aviva, or the premier league grounds across the water. Casement is also the obvious choice, in the main centre of population and factoring in the reality that a stadium such as this could become an economic dynamo in the middle of a much deprived part of Belfast. Believe me, there is no queue of developers waiting to invest in west Belfast, so when a gift horse arrives, you get on it. It was a penalty kick. A 21st century state of the art stadium built on the site of a historic ground with a proud history right in the centre of a GAA sympathetic population in Ireland's second city. The road to get here has not been easy, therefore those in the centre of it deserve great credit. Creating a stadium in a built up area using government money is just about the trickiest bit of business possible and requires reserves of diplomacy and bureaucratic smarts of industrial quantities. It is also important to note that this money was earmarked for a stadium, not a series of little projects round the province, or debt clearing, or to fund centres of excellence, but a stadium. No stadium – no money. Simple as that. And it doesn't help when the Ulster Council receives friendly fire from within that the money could have been divided into nine, or even six. That's rhetoric that needs to stop. At this stage, every single hurdle, obstacle and barrier has been cleared, the finance is in place, the stadium design settled and every possible box ticked. It has taken its toll on the Ulster Council staff and the Antrim County Board, all of whom are exhausted by the challenges which have been put in their way to get us to where we are. And now some locals have reared their heads. Firstly the Casement Social Club and latterly the Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Association. If they get their way, there will be a judicial review and a public inquiry into the stadium design which might torpedo the entire project. This latest development is a sickening blow to the efforts of those who have spent the last five years of their lives attempting to get a 60 million cash injection into this area with a sustained job creation to come after. It is particularly hard to take, considering what this stadium suffered over 30 years of conflict and that for decades, the GAA was treated with utter contempt, under-funded and totally ignored by a succession of NI Stormont regimes. In the 70s the stadium itself was occupied by the British army. It would be a pathetic irony if our own people were to put the last barrier against what they call their own Association. It is simply incredulous that there are those who would want to torpedo the redevelopment of Casement Park. The very fact that social club drinkers should have any influence at all in the future infrastructural plans of the GAA in this province is almost laughable, it's like something out of Monty Python. Social clubs are not priorities for the GAA. They were, at best, questionable in their heyday and thankfully are no longer the Association's main income generators. And while stadia plans everywhere require consent and co-operation from the local communities, this group of people are making arguments which do not stand up. Firstly they want the Ulster Council to sink the pitch a further twenty metres to reduce the height of the stands. The cost of this would make the entire project untenable and force the GAA to start again. Secondly, they reckon the stadium can be more compact if it is terraced instead of seated. In the modern era and considering future standards of stadium comfort, this is simply not an option. They do make a strong argument that there is no need for a stadium of this size because it would only be full on a few occasions and this is correct, but when planning a main provincial stadium, you start off with the needs of your biggest event and work back from there. Croke Park is rarely even half full, but it had to be built to the spec of the 80,000 who would want to watch an All-Ireland. Casement Park is no different. Stadiums of 15,000 are two a penny in Ulster, but you need a signature project to be your shop window and cater for your marquee events. The Casement Social Club has been a long term tenant of Casement Park and has historically passed on its profits to the Antrim County Board, but they should never hold a veto over the plans to rebuild the new stadium. The residents have a voice and deserve a hearing and to be respected, but this is a case of competing rights and the facts are that the large gleaming, beautiful structure which will emerge out of the west Belfast gloom, will help to regenerate the local economy and provide a much needed resource right in the heart of their community. It is understandable that the prospect of a high rise building in the vicinity of their homes creates anxiety, but this is the GAA, a community based volunteer led organisation which exists to serve the people and as such, deserves the benefit of the doubt. And Ulster GAA people should get behind this project also. At times I feel the response has been lukewarm. I remember well the arguments of the anti Croke Park lobby within the GAA back in the 90s, particularly with regard to the introduction of a premium level and corporate boxes. But these innovations have virtually paid for the stadium and continue to make it one of the top stadia in the world, as do the conference facilities which are constantly rated as the best in Ireland. It has provided dozens of jobs for the local people and having a socially responsible partner like the GAA on their doorstep has proved a real advantage to the residents of Clonliffe and Jones Road. The alternative for the Ulster GAA might very well be to move out of Casement entirely and sell the ground. God knows what would get built there. I hope the matter is resolved soon. It will require calm heads and lots of sense, but at the moment there seems little sign of either in the streets round Casement Park.

Kidder81

I wonder what Burns was promised for going to bat for Ulster Council?

I always hear this point about "regenerating a deprived area", and Burns is at it too, Andersonstown is not a deprived area, plenty of West Belfast is a kip but Andersonstown isn't.

I was coming out of Croke Park after the hurling final two weeks ago and there were two Clare fans pishing in the garden of a resident of Clonliffe Road. Have every sympathy for residents around Casement if that is what's ahead of them.

CD

Really good article from Jarlath Burns. I totally agree with his comments re. the social club. I know lads who drink in it and wouldn't even stick their heads around the corner to watch Antrim play. They'd rather sit in the dark beneath the stadium and ridicule. They should have no say in this whatsoever.
I do have some sympathy for the residents, although it's ironic that their spokesperson John Crossey earned a living as a GAA employee and is now a most vehement opponent of the associations most important develpment in a decade.
I think it's crucial for the game in Ulster that it has a modern stadium that the GAA community can be proud of and it's important for Belfast, as the second city to be the location. Thank God the maze project never materialised!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

drici

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 22, 2013, 12:43:39 PM

Social clubs are not priorities for the GAA. They were, at best, questionable in their heyday and thankfully are no longer the Association's main income generators.

Above is not a quote not from Watty Grahams but apparently from a Luí na Talún show presenter on bbc, a person who makes some comments in between the commentary on TG4, a person who is sometimes interviewed at Half Time during matches on TG4, a writer of columns(newspaperish).
Watched the Bernadette Documentary on TG4 the other night and her 'curs and dogs' description of journalists but noticed the statements emanating from the Ulster Council recently with their spin and their coldness and these slurs and inferences that have suddenly and very recently appeared against the good people of Andersonstown(just read back this thread - don't believe that this is any coincidence).

Have a lot of sympathy for any person from West Belfast who So Called 'Ulster Council' would literally cast them into darkness with their plan.
They have conferred upon themselves the title of 'Ulster Council'no doubt in the hope that their self importance would be recognised by others but oh how they have let that title down.
Non 'Ulster Council' people who vastly outnumber the previous mentioned and who live within the jurisdiction have legal rights without the need to confer titles upon themselves. They also have vastly superior rights to having daylight in their area as opposed to strangers who would designate three hours of sunlight per day to them in order to milk their new found cash cow.

Oh how the world has changed.
(From a graveside oration which in hindsight seems addressed to the non volunteer side of Ulster GAA)
They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half.
The people of West Belfast seem to believe that you have done neither 'Ulster Council'.

For those who can no longer see.
Above is a 'tweet' from Silverbridge Harps GAA Club with a photograph of a drinks' bar being put together.
The message from Silverbridge Harps along with the photograph in the 'tweet' reads
'Looking more like a bar and less like pallets and plywood now'
(dated 10th May)

For those of you who cannot see - above is a picture of a very large finished bar that must have taken a quare bit of effort to transform from the original 'pallets and plywood'
The message from Silverbridge Harps in the 'tweet' reads:
'And here's the finshed product!! All ready for the 1000 patrons coming to be entertained by Nathan Carter.
(dated 10th May)

For those of you who cannot see - the above is a photograph taken from a long view to emphasise the bar's length and gravity.
The message from Silverbridge Harps in the' tweet' reads:
'Ready for the busy night ahead'

They must do some drinking alright in Silverbridge Harps - probably a great 'generator'(to quote J Burns) for the GAA side of the Club though.

Quote from: Jarlath Burns on September 22, 2013, 12:43:39 PM

Social clubs are not priorities for the GAA. They were, at best, questionable in their heyday and thankfully are no longer the Association's main income generators.

Some say Hypocrisy begins at home.

Walter Cronc

It is particularly hard to take, considering what this stadium suffered over 30 years of conflict and that for decades, the GAA was treated with utter contempt, under-funded and totally ignored by a succession of NI Stormont regimes. In the 70s the stadium itself was occupied by the British army. It would be a pathetic irony if our own people were to put the last barrier against what they call their own Association.

Its the above quote that really grinds my gears!! As if by opposing the design the residents are somehow undermining everything the GAA fought hard for during those troubled years.

He also talks about the potential for huge reinvestment in the vicinity of the new stadium. Apart from the Croke Park hotel I havent seen much change in the streets surrounding Croke Park this last 20 years!!

armaghniac

QuoteAbove is a 'tweet' from Silverbridge Harps GAA Club with a photograph of a drinks' bar being put together.

The difference is that the bar in Silverbridge serves to support the development of the playing facilities, not obstruct development.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 22, 2013, 12:43:39 PM

I'd say Jar is pretty wrong here. There's plenty of clubs staying afloat due to the income generated from their social clubs.

My whole problem with this is the why now is there so many objections? Were these people not consulted at the initial stages of the project? Was it thought they'd be steamed rolled into it? By the looks of it the Ulster council with its letter to all clubs etc and now Jarly wheeled out have underestimated the opposition and to their cost.

lawnseed

Just been outside checking that drici doesnt have a drone hovering round the place,  :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

rrhf

Regardless of anything it appears there are those on here and elsewhere who dont want Casement to happen. I find it amazing that GAA people have mixed opinions on wanting to establish a landmark presence in Belfast at the home of its most famous ground, after the success of Croke Park. The GAA needs a strong Antrim as we need a strong Dublin and this stadium provides a focus point for excellence and development.  I also wonder about the Antrim county boards role in all this, they need to be steadfastly encouraging this opportunity to happen. 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rrhf on September 24, 2013, 08:47:34 AM
Regardless of anything it appears there are those on here and elsewhere who dont want Casement to happen. I find it amazing that GAA people have mixed opinions on wanting to establish a landmark presence in Belfast at the home of its most famous ground, after the success of Croke Park. The GAA needs a strong Antrim as we need a strong Dublin and this stadium provides a focus point for excellence and development.  I also wonder about the Antrim county boards role in all this, they need to be steadfastly encouraging this opportunity to happen. 

Lazy analysis rrhf!!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 24, 2013, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: rrhf on September 24, 2013, 08:47:34 AM

Lazy analysis rrhf!!!
May be simplistic, but it would sometimes appear that way. I'd put it this way the GAA needs a stronger Ulster. In a political context it would also serve as an icon of the Nationalist cultural identity in a city swamped with Unionist icons. Notwithstanding all of that the residents need to be on board. I suspect though as with the Croke Park residents who have been acting as advisers it is about what can be extracted from the GAA.