Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 09:19:38 PM
The Wolfe Tones will pack a quare few in there.

They are doing their 245th anniversary concert there.

T Fearon

How many times a year will it be filled.Ulster Final day? Can't think if too many other games that will attract a capacity crowd.Must be the end of th road for Clones,definitely.

theticklemister

Quote from: T Fearon on February 06, 2013, 10:16:37 PM
How many times a year will it be filled.Ulster Final day? Can't think if too many other games that will attract a capacity crowd.Must be the end of th road for Clones,definitely.

One day a year it will be filled as you say, no other days. Ah well it has been but for the next 50 years so their could be an I crease in people attending GAA matches so maybe it will help come then.

The Worker

The Worker

ck

Quote from: hardstation on February 06, 2013, 10:29:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2013, 09:55:37 PM
Quote from: Corkey22 on February 06, 2013, 03:51:20 PM
Does anyone know where Antrim will play when this is being built?
Ibrox
Funny you should say that because I was told that they would play in Corrigan Park (which used to be our county ground). Im not sure I believe that though.

Corrigan Park is the home of St. John's GAC and is known to many in Antrim as Ibrox.

When will games start at Ibrox?

BennyCake

I like Clones as a venue, but it's a pain in the arse getting to and from it. Will be a lot handier getting to Casement.

BennyCake

Ibrox
Funny you should say that because I was told that they would play in Corrigan Park (which used to be our county ground). Im not sure I believe that though.

Corrigan Park is the home of St. John's GAC and is known to many in Antrim as Ibrox.

Why is it called Ibrox?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Ibrox

Did they ever reopen the stand in Corrigan after it was closed due to the Johnnies & Lamhs fans knocking f**k out of each other during a senior championship match a few years ago ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cluaineois

Quote from: BennyCake on February 06, 2013, 11:04:25 PM

I like Clones as a venue, but it's a pain in the arse getting to and from it. Will be a lot handier getting to Casement.
i have no problem home to pitch in 7 minutes and my bother can make it in 2. Personally i will miss the big day in clones but i would say that
once your a clone your never alone

ck

Quote from: cluaineois on February 06, 2013, 11:14:15 PM

i have no problem home to pitch in 7 minutes and my bother can make it in 2. Personally i will miss the big day in clones but i would say that

Ill not miss Clones. An awful town to access. A trip up the motorway to Casement should be a better experience for everyone

cluaineois

Quote from: ck on February 06, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: cluaineois on February 06, 2013, 11:14:15 PM

Ill not miss Clones. An awful town to access. A trip up the motorway to Casement should be a better experience for everyone
not everyone not cavan fermanagh monaghan parts of armagh parts of tyrone but its a done deal and not one thing can or will be done to move the development out of casement(progress?) . as you may have worked out my home club is clones and have had a long and happy memories of ulster finals . I do wonder how this will be paid for in the long term and hope that it doesnt end up being an albatross around clubs necks as i imagine that there will be minimum attendants figures to make the place viable.
once your a clone your never alone

snoopdog

Casement will get the odd league final and the odd All Irleand Quarter id assume. Clones will still get an Ulster Semi every year. If some of the so called Gaels in Ireland would get up of their arses and support their county instead of only going to big games we could have a few more of these stadiums around the country, but the GAA do themselves no favours by playing down the league and the qualifiers.
Whether its used or not its great for Ulster football to have such a showpiece stadium, with 75 % of the cash coming from her majesty. No brainer for the GAA, you could pump 17 million into Clones and it still wouldnt be enough.

Lecale2

It's the running costs and rates that will be the problem longer term. It's relatively easy to get the capital to build something. Sustaining it is always a bigger problem.