Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Their playing careers and being part of a management team that delivered an U21 All Ireland then a senior All Ireland in their first season make Brian Dooher and Fergal Logan Tyrone greats forever. Must be said though, the last two years have been rather shambolic. If you take away their previous achievements and look at those seasons you might well wonder was this management team badly out if its depth at senior inter county level. Can only conclude the new term is based on everything that happened until 2022. That's fair enough. I think they've got a pretty easy ride over the past two seasons though based on their previous achievements. Staying on means they will need to improve massively to avoid very serious questions over their management. That applies to the county board too now.

More importantly on a day like today, thoughts with Art McRory's family on his passing. An incredible servant of Tyrone GAA and a visionary who was instrumental in the rise of the senior county team from also rans to All Ireland contenders. As the banner said, How Great Thou Art. RIP.

God14

Quote from: clarshack on August 09, 2023, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: square_ball on August 09, 2023, 09:59:29 PM
What was the origins of big Arts famous quote when we are playing so and so we'll give him a shout. Paraphrasing that completely obviously but always wondered who the original quote was about?

Always thought the original saying was about John Joe O'Neill who scored a few goals for Moortown against the Rock at some point in the 80's?

Yeah 100%. My father told me that one 30 years ago, and it was John Joe O'Neill and the Rock.

imtommygunn

Quote from: WT4E on August 09, 2023, 11:49:43 PM
I'll stand corrected but another Art classic:

Asked about picking Ciaran the son for the Tyrone squad:

"I've went the length and breadth of Tyrone looking for a big ignorant f**ker to play midfield and then realised there was one lying on my sofa!"  ;D ;D

RIP Art

;D

rrhf

Fair play to all the managers reappointed for giving another 3 years of their lives to help our county. Some sacrifice...

NotedObserver

Hope Tyrone support comes out next year. Doubtful

ONeill

I'm surprised they wanted it. I didn't get the feeling they particularly enjoyed the last 2 years.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

I started the matches from late 84, and through 86... I remember the teams that  played those years with great fondness, the character laiden leaders, the high catchers, the bruisers, the blondes, the flutter of red and white on the hill,  the greenness of the sacred field and dressed in brown was Art...
The producer had picked his cast and put them in this theatre....not a 10 year old in Tyrone didn't help make a banner with a play on his name....
How great thou Art...
Rest in peace.... 

Aaron Boone

Art laid the foundations for sure.

Only Tyrone Dublin & Kerry have been in All-Ireland finals in the 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's and 20's. 

clarshack

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 10, 2023, 10:39:13 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 10, 2023, 10:35:31 PM
Art laid the foundations for sure.

Only Tyrone Dublin & Kerry have been in All-Ireland finals in the 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's and 20's.
Mayo? Not Dublin.

Yes Dublin didn't play in an All-Ireland Final between 1995 and 2011.
Mayo did.

ONeill

The Derry game in 95 was the best memory of all those years.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Very special alright... fired up like demons in the second half

Mikhailov

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2023, 11:06:50 PM

The Derry game of 1995 was the best memory of my lifetime following Tyrone - easily the best.

I know we won 4 AI titles but that day was hard to beat. Actually the first AI win was a bit of an anti climax. But in fairness the 2005 final was a brilliant final to win as was 2008.

The opposition, the rivalry, the excessive heat on the day, the tension in the stands, the tension on the pitch, red cards, the animosity, the hits, the intensity in the air, the late winner - it had absolutely everything.

We will never forget that day !!!!

Jim Bob

Quote from: Mikhailov on August 11, 2023, 12:34:56 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2023, 11:06:50 PM

The Derry game of 1995 was the best memory of my lifetime following Tyrone - easily the best.

I know we won 4 AI titles but that day was hard to beat. Actually the first AI win was a bit of an anti climax. But in fairness the 2005 final was a brilliant final to win as was 2008.

The opposition, the rivalry, the excessive heat on the day, the tension in the stands, the tension on the pitch, red cards, the animosity, the hits, the intensity in the air, the late winner - it had absolutely everything.

We will never forget that day !!!!

Was in the Gerry Arthur that day. No one that I could see were sitting in their seats towards the end of the match. aAll standing  Unreal atmosphere

An Watcher

Yep, what a game.  I'm sure there were a few that left at half time that day as things were looking particularly bleak.  Think we said we'd give it a few minutes to see how things pan out!! What a game

phpearse

wasn't it Big Art that said ' Opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one!'