Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

Think the players have been vocal in looking them to stay on. That's a number who have come out now - most recently Meyler, Hampsey, Morgan and Canavan in recent interviews

tyrone08

Quote from: the_daddy on July 21, 2023, 11:07:01 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 21, 2023, 10:12:45 AM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on July 21, 2023, 09:45:46 AM
Quote from: Jerome on July 21, 2023, 08:50:36 AM
Certainly seems to be a big step down in terms of physical ability since Peter Donnelly was replaced by McElhome.

I'd suggest this is a major factor in Tyrone being bossed in the athletic stakes towards the business end of the year.

Agree. They dont seem to be as well conditioned as they used to be. Bring back peter or the rubgy guy who replaced him under mickey, cant remember his name now. I do remember the lads thinking highly of him.

Would like to see steve O'Neill back as well.

Peter Donnelly was still there in 2022 and they didn't look to be firing on all cylinders then either.

He had more or less started to step away then. Don't think he was a regular face in 2022 behind the scenes.

The drop off in standards between 2021 and 2022 and then on has been shocking.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Snapchap on July 21, 2023, 12:28:46 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 12:07:56 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 21, 2023, 10:08:57 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 12:59:58 AM
And why what you stated above is the management s fault ? Be specific

Darragh Canavan is happy for them to stay on and he'd know a lot more about the state of things than you
I've been specific. I've given you reasons that I believe lie with the management. Inability to keep players happy on a panel, inability to get the best out of the players or build confidence, tactics too ponderous and slow to transition to attack. They had an AI winning team in 2021. And they did brilliant to win the AI. But there's been a drop off in too many  players forms since to simple say it's the players fault.

You seem to think that Tyrone ought to have won the All Ireland this year. For all we know some players may have lost that 'hunger' after having won in 21. Not the management fault there if true. Management can only do so much. We are not entitled to win the All Ireland every year. Maybe you should give Darragh a ring and tell him he's got it all wrong !

Jimbob, can you give me one example, since the foundation of the GAA until this day, where a player was asked in a media interview if he would like his current manager to stay on for the following year, and where the player said "no"?

So you are saying that daragh is not being honest ?

trueblue1234

Darragh Canavan is happy for them to stay on and he'd know a lot more about the state of things than you
I've been specific. I've given you reasons that I believe lie with the management. Inability to keep players happy on a panel, inability to get the best out of the players or build confidence, tactics too ponderous and slow to transition to attack. They had an AI winning team in 2021. And they did brilliant to win the AI. But there's been a drop off in too many  players forms since to simple say it's the players fault.

You seem to think that Tyrone ought to have won the All Ireland this year. For all we know some players may have lost that 'hunger' after having won in 21. Not the management fault there if true. Management can only do so much. We are not entitled to win the All Ireland every year. Maybe you should give Darragh a ring and tell him he's got it all wrong !
Stop trying to make straw man arguments. I didn't think they would win an AI given their performance last year. But given they won it 2 years ago, should that have been such an outrageous thought? But I did expect much more than they delivered over that last 2 years.
I also said the players need to shoulder some responsibility. But you want to remove any responsibility from the management. I don't agree with that and believe they were as much at fault. We have been as uncompetitive over the last two years as any two years in the last 20. And that's with an AI winning squad. Blame the players by all means. But the management are a factor as well.
I
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Snapchap

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 01:07:14 PM

Jimbob, can you give me one example, since the foundation of the GAA until this day, where a player was asked in a media interview if he would like his current manager to stay on for the following year, and where the player said "no"?

I'm saying there's no way of knowing from a media interview if that's his honest opinion. Now since I answered your question, maybe you might answer mine: can you give me one example, since the foundation of the GAA until this day, where a player was asked in a media interview if he would like his current manager to stay on for the following year, and where the player said "no"?

LeoMc

You seem very convinced it is not a Management issue. Are you laying the blame entirely on the players?

God14

The volume of players dropping off has been unprecedented. Even on the cusp of championship action, men were walking away

As mentioned by others above... the drop off in intensity levels, endurance & conditioning is clear to be seen (when did we last finish a game strongly, bar Kerry in the league this year?)
Even games that we did win, say Armagh in the group stages... we should have had the game put to bed with 20mins to play, and ended up hanging on looking at the clock

Some players cannot be dropped it seems. Definite favoritism doesn't bode well for panel harmony

But the biggest concern for me is the defensive set up. I have absolutely no faith at all in the men in charge been able to set us up correctly at the back for the big games.  Before someone shouts what about 2021 - lads that was Hartes established defense with a few genial tweaks by Fergal and Brian.

Last year they got a bye ball and we told ourselves it was a hangover from Sam. But even as far back as January (McKenna cup final) it was clear the same old issues remained. Men easily pulled out of position, and wide open in the centre of defence. As the year progressed, we ended up conceding 1-18 against Monaghan and 0-18 against Westmeath in championship football. The same old mistakes been made time and again. If there was a plan in place to address that, it was not visible.
Tactics wise, we were going man on man in games and instances when there was absolutely no need. And we paid for it.

Dooher & Logan are two hero's for what they have done for Tyrone football. But the time to step aside was a fortnight ago

sam03/05

They kept Div 1 football for three years - won an AI win an Ulster title
Be careful what u wish for, next manager in could be Div 2 or Talitan cup very easily

Jim Bob

Quote from: Snapchap on July 21, 2023, 01:27:57 PM

I'm saying there's no way of knowing from a media interview if that's his honest opinion. Now since I answered your question, maybe you might answer mine: can you give me one example, since the foundation of the GAA until this day, where a player was asked in a media interview if he would like his current manager to stay on for the following year, and where the player said "no"?

Yes. 1953 a Cavan player said it.   What a stupid question !,

Jim Bob

Quote from: LeoMc on July 21, 2023, 01:51:17 PM

You seem very convinced it is not a Management issue. Are you laying the blame entirely on the players?

Not blaming anyone.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 04:30:32 PM

Therefore highlights how stupid bringing up Darragh's comments are.

Jim Bob

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 21, 2023, 05:40:35 PM

Doesn't even remotely compare. Darragh said what he said and who is anyone to question whether he was being dishonest with the reporter. HE even mentioned other players as well who has a similar mind to himself.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 08:11:34 PM

Doesn't even remotely compare. Darragh said what he said and who is anyone to question whether he was being dishonest with the reporter. HE even mentioned other players as well who has a similar mind to himself.
Do you still not understand Snapchat's point?

Jim Bob

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 21, 2023, 08:23:53 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 08:11:34 PM

Do you still not understand Snapchat's point?

Naw. What did he/she say. ? Couldn't be arsed looking back ???

marty34

As an aside, I think one of the Irish woman's soccer team last week, maybe the captain, was asked about would she be happy if Vera stayed on in the job and she was very luke warm about her staying on.

Vera, the manager, was sitting next to here.  :o