Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 12, 2020, 07:42:06 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on November 12, 2020, 06:43:46 PM
So what turned brolly off us?

McGleenan turns you on.... gets you all excited....could you not have kept that information to yourself?
it was a figure of speech for the craic. You know, craic? Any wonder you and Bennyharp love harte. Boring old fogies.

southtyronegael

Huge sigh of relief around Tyrone tonight. Mark harte got the errigal job so won't be taking over Tyrone.

ONeill

Differences of opinion are healthy as long as they don't descend into personal insults and playing the man.

My view on the current managerial position is that it's a privilege to be asked to be manager of the county. It's a coveted position and Mickey achieved brilliantly in his time there, especially the first 10 years, and continued to keep Tyrone top 6. However, to hog or covet it doesn't sit well with me. Others should be given a go - often you don't know how they'll do when given the reins and sometimes someone under the radar can become the next Harte. Nearly 20 years is depriving others a chance at proving themselves at that level.

I haven't particularly enjoyed watching our style of football in quite a while now, even the run to the AI Final in 2018. The Monaghan semi-final didn't have the sense of occasion other semis did. I know that a change in management could see Tyrone slip off the radar for a year or two, or longer...but I'd take it. I don't put results over enjoyment at county level, especially at amateur level, unless you've been starved for decades and then it's a means to an end. I'd say Fermanagh wouldn't care how they won Ulster.

I know and understand the view that he deserves to stay as long as he wants. I don't agree with it at all but can see how you can come to that conclusion.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 12, 2020, 08:38:47 PM
Huge sigh of relief around Tyrone tonight. Mark harte got the errigal job so won't be taking over Tyrone.

Think he's still got the u14 development squad though, so the seed is planted for years to come :o

Jim Bob

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 12, 2020, 12:36:09 PM
Be great to see mc gleenans happy smiling face doing interviews on rte! Be a real tonic for the Gaels of Tyrone. I'm getting a hard-on thinking about it.

Forget it...Mattie is married to a woman ...don't think he would be interested....

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 08:46:15 PM
Differences of opinion are healthy as long as they don't descend into personal insults and playing the man.

My view on the current managerial position is that it's a privilege to be asked to be manager of the county. It's a coveted position and Mickey achieved brilliantly in his time there, especially the first 10 years, and continued to keep Tyrone top 6. However, to hog or covet it doesn't sit well with me. Others should be given a go - often you don't know how they'll do when given the reins and sometimes someone under the radar can become the next Harte. Nearly 20 years is depriving others a chance at proving themselves at that level.

I haven't particularly enjoyed watching our style of football in quite a while now, even the run to the AI Final in 2018. The Monaghan semi-final didn't have the sense of occasion other semis did. I know that a change in management could see Tyrone slip off the radar for a year or two, or longer...but I'd take it. I don't put results over enjoyment at county level, especially at amateur level, unless you've been starved for decades and then it's a means to an end. I'd say Fermanagh wouldn't care how they won Ulster.

I know and understand the view that he deserves to stay as long as he wants. I don't agree with it at all but can see how you can come to that conclusion.

Meh. The early Harte years had their share of dirge too. Pretty much all of 03 was dirt when ya look at it bar the Ulster final. I've enjoyed a fair bit of tyrones recent matches, the super 8 win in ballybofey was as enjoyable a match as I've attended. Real good ebb and flow. And I even enjoyed that Monaghan game too. And our league matches are a lot more enjoyable than they were 10 years ago. Fells like somethings at stake in them as opposed to 10years ago when they were glorified challenge matches.

Realistically I don't see a difference in approach amongst all the top inter county teams at the minute, bar an ultra-defensive team like Fermanagh. So I don't see how a new manager will have us playing any more attractive football than we do now. He might well be more successful but it'll largely be much the same tactics.

Look at the 4 teams that made the Tyrone club semis. All played pretty much the standard gameplay that teams now employ. You could hardly argue that any of them are Cleary more attacking than the current inter county team. Realistically they're all trying to play the Dublin style of football with varying degrees of success.

I don't buy the "a change even if it's for the worse is better than nothing" argument. Look at where Meath have went post boylan, where Galway have been post o Mahoney where Armagh have been post kernan. Even Arsenal and wenger is an example. None of those teams have gotten to as good a place as the final days of each of those reigns. I'm not for giving Harte the position for life but if the players are happy to give him another 12 months and he wants to do it, given his degree of success in the past 4 years I'd find few reasons to deny him it. Not as an obligation to Harte, Tyrone obviously comes first. But looking at the alternatives, there none that offer any better chances of a successful year in the next 12 months than Harte plus a good management team.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omagh_gael

Fair points Trileacman. I agree that any new manager wont radically change our style. What it will do will give him a clear slate with all players in the county. As we all know there are fellas knocking about that wont make themselves available whilst Harte is in charge. A fresh voice will at least bring a different dynamic. I also echo O'Neill's point in that no manager has had the honour of managing our county in over 18 years. Mickey's legacy will be legend in our county, but there is an element of obtusness that could tinge that legacy and also damage the county as a whole if this turns messy.

ONeill

Yes, fair points trileacman. I don't agree with you, especially with your attractive football call, but it's in the eye of the beholder.

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 10:45:54 PM
Yes, fair points trileacman. I don't agree with you, especially with your attractive football call, but it's in the eye of the beholder.

Football as a whole is more unattractive that it was 10 years ago. Only really Mayo matches possess that helter-skelter, anything-could-happen quality anymore. For me all teams now play pretty much exactly the same way. Some are just better than it than others. Certainly at club level where there's a wide arrange of managers and quality in panels I haven't really see a team setup completely different to the one there facing.

ONeill

Do you think Tyrone haven't the players to challenge that approach and set up more offensively? Kerry turned their back on it last week.

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 11:05:11 PM
Do you think Tyrone haven't the players to challenge that approach and set up more offensively? Kerry turned their back on it last week.

Need defenders. Defenders are the key to playing offensively. One of the reasons we moved to being a quite defensive team is that after Jordan, Gormley, Ricey et al passed their best we had to shore up the defence by dropping forwards back in there. After good defenders you need a way to control, maybe even dominate at midfield. Look at the Dubs and Mayo this past 10 years, they have better footballers in the back and middle 3rd than at the front.

When you have defenders who can hold their own and a middle third that dominate kickouts you can play a lot higher up the pitch and take more risks offensively. Do we have the players? I think we arguably do in defence. I rate our man-markers quite highly, McNamee I think is particularly under-rated and Breenan and even Patsy have very good defensive qualities. Rafferty has come on leaps and bounds this year and Hampsey when fit is a top level player too.

Arguably the middle 3rd is now our weakest point especially without Coly for kickouts. McGeary, McCann, McKernan, Kennedy, Sludden, P Harte, McCurry struggle quite alot around that middle 3rd this year.

It's a difficult question you've asked but the whole secret and what Harte was once so great at was recognising deficiencies in your panel/team and papering over them with tactics. As an example, for basically the entire 2000's we were shit at winning kickouts but we developed a style where we were the best team in Ireland at winning the breaking ball. Our plan was pretty much to send out a lummox to jump and break the ball out of Darragh O'Se/McGrane/Whelan's hands and we'd get Dooher, Jordan, McGuigan, McGinley to hoover up the scraps.

I think we do have the players to go very very close to winning an AI. Bar Clifford who's next level and Sean O'Se freetaking we've as good a squad as Kerry or Mayo or Donegal. Football is crying out for a new tactical paradigm though and it's long overdue. Think Armagh 02, Kerry 06, Tyrone 08, Donegal 2011, Dublin 2015 onwards. Football tactics have kinda stagnated this past 5 years. We haven't really moved on from where Dublin were in say 2015. I think there's certain some new tactical angle or approach out there that will shortly change the game substantially again. That's why the list of potentials for the Tyrone job is dissappointing. They're just a load of guys who are fairly good at understanding the game the way it currently is. None have shown a way to take it to the next level.

Taylor

Quote from: trileacman on November 13, 2020, 12:35:39 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 11:05:11 PM

Need defenders. Defenders are the key to playing offensively. One of the reasons we moved to being a quite defensive team is that after Jordan, Gormley, Ricey et al passed their best we had to shore up the defence by dropping forwards back in there. After good defenders you need a way to control, maybe even dominate at midfield. Look at the Dubs and Mayo this past 10 years, they have better footballers in the back and middle 3rd than at the front.

When you have defenders who can hold their own and a middle third that dominate kickouts you can play a lot higher up the pitch and take more risks offensively. Do we have the players? I think we arguably do in defence. I rate our man-markers quite highly, McNamee I think is particularly under-rated and Breenan and even Patsy have very good defensive qualities. Rafferty has come on leaps and bounds this year and Hampsey when fit is a top level player too.

Arguably the middle 3rd is now our weakest point especially without Coly for kickouts. McGeary, McCann, McKernan, Kennedy, Sludden, P Harte, McCurry struggle quite alot around that middle 3rd this year.

It's a difficult question you've asked but the whole secret and what Harte was once so great at was recognising deficiencies in your panel/team and papering over them with tactics. As an example, for basically the entire 2000's we were shit at winning kickouts but we developed a style where we were the best team in Ireland at winning the breaking ball. Our plan was pretty much to send out a lummox to jump and break the ball out of Darragh O'Se/McGrane/Whelan's hands and we'd get Dooher, Jordan, McGuigan, McGinley to hoover up the scraps.

I think we do have the players to go very very close to winning an AI. Bar Clifford who's next level and Sean O'Se freetaking we've as good a squad as Kerry or Mayo or Donegal. Football is crying out for a new tactical paradigm though and it's long overdue. Think Armagh 02, Kerry 06, Tyrone 08, Donegal 2011, Dublin 2015 onwards. Football tactics have kinda stagnated this past 5 years. We haven't really moved on from where Dublin were in say 2015. I think there's certain some new tactical angle or approach out there that will shortly change the game substantially again. That's why the list of potentials for the Tyrone job is dissappointing. They're just a load of guys who are fairly good at understanding the game the way it currently is. None have shown a way to take it to the next level.

Con OCallaghan & Paul Mannion might have something to say about that

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on November 11, 2020, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on November 11, 2020, 09:42:56 PM
Guess what we do know is that harte is not going to do the right thing and just step down, not that I ever thought he would. Things look like getting very messy and there will be no winners at the end unfortunately.

The right thing? He is of the belief that he still is the right man for the job. What is it that makes you certain it's the right thing? Mickey may have ran his race for Tyrone and history will reflect favourably on him. But for you to constantly spout negativity towards him, yet happily jump on the band wagon when momentum built, is nothing short of pathetic.

For any rational sensible poster, when you reflect on our record since 08, I don't honestly think you can say with any real honesty that we have been underachievers. Is there any genuine year when you thought that one got away? Mickey instilled a culture of winning and not accepting anything else. That is ultimately what is causing some of the negative rhetoric towards him.

2014 aside, I genuinely don't think we have exited the championship at the hands of a vastly inferior team. People regularly throw the line of we haven't beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin etc. But could it be that we just were a level below those sides?

We don't have to search too far back in Tyrone history to see just how lucky we are to be constantly dining at the top table. Days like Derry in 97 and Sligo 02 etc just don't happen now. We are very fortunate to have had so many wonderful days following Tyrone, and maybe it might take for a spell away from that top table to realise what we had.

Mickey's journey might be up and if that's the case so be it. But some of the (and often times personal) negativity on here isn't warranted. Mickey Harte and Tyrone have given us some of the best days in our lives. Days that we never thought  would come. I for one am thankful to him.

Did I dream 2006?

Nope, it appears not.

[url][/https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2006/0528/205141-derry/url]

I think there's another confirmed case of The Disease of Me among the bushes.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on November 13, 2020, 08:28:57 AM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on November 11, 2020, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on November 11, 2020, 09:42:56 PM
Guess what we do know is that harte is not going to do the right thing and just step down, not that I ever thought he would. Things look like getting very messy and there will be no winners at the end unfortunately.

The right thing? He is of the belief that he still is the right man for the job. What is it that makes you certain it's the right thing? Mickey may have ran his race for Tyrone and history will reflect favourably on him. But for you to constantly spout negativity towards him, yet happily jump on the band wagon when momentum built, is nothing short of pathetic.

For any rational sensible poster, when you reflect on our record since 08, I don't honestly think you can say with any real honesty that we have been underachievers. Is there any genuine year when you thought that one got away? Mickey instilled a culture of winning and not accepting anything else. That is ultimately what is causing some of the negative rhetoric towards him.

2014 aside, I genuinely don't think we have exited the championship at the hands of a vastly inferior team. People regularly throw the line of we haven't beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin etc. But could it be that we just were a level below those sides?

We don't have to search too far back in Tyrone history to see just how lucky we are to be constantly dining at the top table. Days like Derry in 97 and Sligo 02 etc just don't happen now. We are very fortunate to have had so many wonderful days following Tyrone, and maybe it might take for a spell away from that top table to realise what we had.

Mickey's journey might be up and if that's the case so be it. But some of the (and often times personal) negativity on here isn't warranted. Mickey Harte and Tyrone have given us some of the best days in our lives. Days that we never thought  would come. I for one am thankful to him.

Did I dream 2006?

Nope, it appears not.

[url][/https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2006/0528/205141-derry/url]

I think there's another confirmed case of The Disease of Me among the bushes.

No you didn't dream 2006 and even 2007 for that matter. But when those years are cushioned by All Ireland's in 05 and 08 then people tend not to complain.

I probably should have been clearer, but I was referring to the time period between Tyrones last All Ireland and  modern day.

downjim

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 12, 2020, 10:41:48 PM
Fair points Trileacman. I agree that any new manager wont radically change our style. What it will do will give him a clear slate with all players in the county. As we all know there are fellas knocking about that wont make themselves available whilst Harte is in charge. A fresh voice will at least bring a different dynamic. I also echo O'Neill's point in that no manager has had the honour of managing our county in over 18 years. Mickey's legacy will be legend in our county, but there is an element of obtusness that could tinge that legacy and also damage the county as a whole if this turns messy.

Hi Omagh gael, can you name the players who won't make themselves available because MH is in charge? And would they make a difference to the team as I would likely say they would not?
Mickey Harte is the best about men, A change in coaching with introduce ideas but you had plenty of chances to win that game v Donegal and Mickey were not kicking for scores.