Previous topic - Next topic

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: chieftain on May 03, 2018, 12:46:02 PM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 03, 2018, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 03, 2018, 11:53:36 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 03, 2018, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 03, 2018, 11:38:13 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 03, 2018, 10:35:50 AM
I was disappointed to see Mugsy in the papers trying to stir up controversy in return for a few quid from Paddy power. I think he was particularly harsh on Morgan and don't think that a fellow Tyrone man, and former team mate of Nialls, should be sticking the knife in like this. He said that Brennan would kick the longer range frees blindfolded, if Mugsy was watching Tyrone in the league this year at all he would know this is not the case. Lee racked up a big tally from frees throughout the league but it has to be said that a number of these were handy ones from close in and that he was guilty of missing a few longer range ones. It's also very easy to say that Lee should hit, and would score, all of our frees but the fact remains that he hasn't been tested in the white heat of a championship match that is in the balance so the jury should remain out until this happens.

Mugsy also claimed that our style is too defensive and that he would like to see Lee, Bradley, Skeet and Harte all playing closer to goal. Again, has he not been watching Tyrone this year? This was exactly the forward line v Donegal and Mayo in our good run towards the end of the League and Niall Sludden was also playing further up the pitch.

I didnt get reading it but did Mugsy state that none of the Tyrone forwards would have got on any of the Tyrone teams that won All Ireland.
Agree of Disagree? IMO its hard to disagree, Certainly not in the first 2 all Ireland wins anyway!!
Maybe Sludden would be the only one who would come close to it and even at that you'd have to throw him in at wing forward cause B.McGuigan certainly wouldnt be replaced

He's absolutely correct. None of them would have got onto the teams of the 00s. That in itself is no insult, just reality.

Are we not classing Matty Donnelly or Petey Harte as forwards? Because either of them would have made those teams. In case you have all forgotten, Ryan Mellon, Marty Penrose and Tommy McGuigan all started in All Ireland finals in the 00s.

Did Penrose start All Ireland Final? I cant rememenber

Mellon was outstanding, that performance against the Dubs in the rain where he scored the goal, Man off the match in All Ireland final? He certainly would never have been droppped from that team!

Tommy McGuigan-  Goal in the All ireland final!!

Even at this, where would you put Matty and Harte then Corner forward? Because both Matty and Harte have shown they arent  half the player they are on the full forward line..
Dont get me wrong great players but as forwards on the 00's team, I dont think so.
Ill use an example..

Dooher McGuigan Mellon
Mugsey Canavan Oneil

Who do you drop?

Did that forward line ever start together?

You must be too young to remember young fella.

All Ireland final 2005, a great day out!

This is what they scored on the day.

B Dooher (0-1), B McGuigan (0-3), R Mellon (0-2); P Canavan (1-1), S O'Neill (0-4), O Mulligan (0-4)

WT4E

Feck lads when you think about that noughties team give us some great days out!

We're spoilt since!

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 03, 2018, 10:58:26 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 03, 2018, 10:24:11 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on May 03, 2018, 07:07:55 PM
When Mugsy was on the team squad didn't really bother me whether he was picked or not. Had some outstanding moments in the Tyrone jersey but consistent he was not. Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Canavan or O'Neill. He seems to think he was a better player than any of the forwards we have now. He wasn't.

A truly embarrassing post. Have a word with yourself.

Embarrassing to who ?

To yourself, your friends, your family, the people of Tyrone and the entire GAA community on the island of Ireland.

outsideoftheboot

When Mugsy was on the team squad didn't really bother me whether he was picked or not. Had some outstanding moments in the Tyrone jersey but consistent he was not. Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Canavan or O'Neill. He seems to think he was a better player than any of the forwards we have now. He wasn't.

Agree with you regarding his consistency very hot and cold.

redzone

Quote from: WT4E on May 04, 2018, 09:46:18 AM
Feck lads when you think about that noughties team give us some great days out!

We're spoilt since!

Yip some memories. Probably because you were younger as well and the drink was flowing.
Anyone remember the midnight callers, wouldn't surprise me if they are on

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 03, 2018, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on May 03, 2018, 09:20:30 PM
wouldnt exactly say o neill was consistent either. unreal year in 05 but alot of injuries other years. didnt start finals of 03 or 08. canavan out on his own with ability, consistency, reliability and longevity.

This suggests you agree with me !!!
i agree mulligan was inconsistant but to say it didnt bother you if he played or not shows your knowledge of football. lucky you werent managing the team back then.

DEL

Trillich have averaged almost 20 points a game this year which is an amazing stat in a very competitive division. Despite Trillick being slow to start they won 2-13 to 1-8. Not sure what's going on in Killyclogher but they look a shadow of the team they were. Trillick are a very impressive group. Their defence tonight were very impressive. Stand out team at the minute.
On another point the Island lost again tonight very worrying for them.

Jim Bob

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 04, 2018, 11:41:07 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on May 03, 2018, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on May 03, 2018, 09:20:30 PM
wouldnt exactly say o neill was consistent either. unreal year in 05 but alot of injuries other years. didnt start finals of 03 or 08. canavan out on his own with ability, consistency, reliability and longevity.

This suggests you agree with me !!!
i agree mulligan was inconsistant but to say it didnt bother you if he played or not shows your knowledge of football. lucky you werent managing the team back then.

Glad you agree with me. !!!

Jim Bob

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 04, 2018, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on May 03, 2018, 10:58:26 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 03, 2018, 10:24:11 PM

A truly embarrassing post. Have a word with yourself.

Embarrassing to who ?

To yourself, your friends, your family, the people of Tyrone and the entire GAA community on the island of Ireland.

So you re a big Mugsy lover. I wasn't ..... just accept that.

Fuzzman

I've not watched any club football at all as I live in Dublin lads but here is the starting 15 I would like to see, not the 15 I think will start though. I think Rory Brennan brings so much pace to the half back line along with Tiernan but Meyler is not too far away I'd say.

Morgan

McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary

Tiernan McCann
Frank Burns
Rory Brennan

McClure
Cavanagh

Sludden
Mattie
P.Harte

Lee Brennan
McShane
Mark Bradley (Maybe Skeet)

Subs
McAliskey
Meyler
Mulgrew
McNamee
Conan McCann
Kieran McGeary
McNulty
O'Neill
McCrory
Richie

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 08, 2018, 03:45:12 PM
I've not watched any club football at all as I live in Dublin lads but here is the starting 15 I would like to see, not the 15 I think will start though. I think Rory Brennan brings so much pace to the half back line along with Tiernan but Meyler is not too far away I'd say.

Morgan

McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary

Tiernan McCann
Frank Burns
Rory Brennan

McClure
Cavanagh

Sludden
Mattie
P.Harte

Lee Brennan
McShane
Mark Bradley (Maybe Skeet)

Subs
McAliskey
Meyler
Mulgrew
McNamee
Conan McCann
Kieran McGeary
McNulty
O'Neill
McCrory
Richie

Morgan

McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary

K McGeary
Frank Burns
Meyler

McClure
McShane

Sludden
Mattie
P.Harte

Lee Brennan
Skeet
Mark Bradley

My team above. As much as I would like to be proved wrong I can't see Colm Cavanagh being fit to start with him not having played for the Moy at all yet. Also I think Tiernan McCann will have to be content with coming on from the bench this time out, he missed 3 months football there and with his game relying so much on pace and fitness I think it might take him another little to get up to full speed.

I also think Skeet is nailed on to start as we have nobody to kick right footed frees if he doesn't. There's a strong possibility there will be a couple of surprise selections though with a lot of training and club football having taken place since the last National League game - remember Conall McCann played barely any League last year then started and got Man of the Match first day out in the Championship v Derry.

Anybody any insight as to any non-regulars who are flying at club level? Guessing Richy Donnelly and Ruairi Brennan are playing well what with Trillick's good start? I see McNamee scored 6 from play in one of Ahyaran's recent games, i wonder is there a chance we could see him at wing back or midfield this year? He is a tall strong physical presence and comfortable on the ball and could struggle to get on the team otherwise with Hampsey and Burns looking settled at 3 and 6 respectively.

Fuzzman

From my sources I heard Colm will be fit to start

Yeah you would imagine with the wealth of half backs and half forwards at his disposal then it would seem unfair to the others for Tiernan to walk straight back into the team but like I said that is the team I'd like to see.
I just think two really speedy wing backs are very important these days who can shoot.

Yeah wondered that about McNamee too. Would he do better out around the middle or even half forward.
Hopefully Frank Burns can keep up his high standards he has set this year and also the fans dont get on McShane's back if he misses a few shots. Some players get lots of latitude and some are hung out to dry very early.

Positions mean very little any more as we know so like the league games I'd say there will be a lot of chopping and changes with loads of different players moving into the FF line at different times.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 08, 2018, 05:19:06 PM

Hopefully. Regardless of the Monaghan game, I think as the year progresses this last couple of months off will really benefit Colm. Only for picking up the injury he would have been on the go non-stop since the start of last year with club and county and i think it would have been very difficult for him to maintain his high standards throughout the summer. So hopefully he will come back refreshed whenever he is ready

WT4E

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 08, 2018, 05:41:44 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 08, 2018, 05:19:06 PM

Hopefully. Regardless of the Monaghan game, I think as the year progresses this last couple of months off will really benefit Colm. Only for picking up the injury he would have been on the go non-stop since the start of last year with club and county and i think it would have been very difficult for him to maintain his high standards throughout the summer. So hopefully he will come back refreshed whenever he is ready

Do you remember when half the people on here thought big Colm was sh1te - that was some craic!