Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Quote from: longballin on March 19, 2017, 07:44:44 PM
I think the issue is the delusion we are a threat to the Dubs or on the brink of an All Ireland title is the issue. Same works the other way when Tyrone win a league game the hype is way OTT

That 'delusion' comes from the press not the Tyrone team!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Fuzzman

I agree Omagh Gael we had a very off day and it looked like everything went well for Donegal.
They really do the siege mentality stuff very well against Tyrone and they love the whole war of attrition stuff.

I was surprised how well Cavan did against Mayo. The defeat against Donegal will give us a bit of a wakeup call I feel and hopefully make us raise our game again against Mayo who usually do well in Omagh.

It could be a very tough championship season ahead with a potential path of Derry, Donegal, Monaghan, Donegal again  ;) before the Dubs and then of course Kerry in the final  ;D
Harte will then retire having won Sam again and everyone will be happy.

longballin

Quote from: Gaffer on March 19, 2017, 11:57:58 PM
I think the issue is the delusion we are a threat to the Dubs or on the brink of an All Ireland title is the issue. Same works the other way when Tyrone win a league game the hype is way OTT

You need to get out more and listen to what supporters say and look at comments on social media

LeoMc

Quote from: longballin on March 20, 2017, 11:14:24 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on March 19, 2017, 11:57:58 PM

You need to get out more and listen to what supporters say and look at comments on social media

GaelTheGael

Other night was very poor. Surely this will be the end of the Mattie Donnelly inside experiment. Wasting one of our best players inside on the periphery of games. I still think Tyrone should pick 10. Mattie Donnelly 11. Niall Sludden 12. Peter Harte and pick the rest of the team after that because if we are going to carry the ball its a waste playing any of them inside.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GaelTheGael on March 20, 2017, 12:14:50 PM
Other night was very poor. Surely this will be the end of the Mattie Donnelly inside experiment. Wasting one of our best players inside on the periphery of games. I still think Tyrone should pick 10. Mattie Donnelly 11. Niall Sludden 12. Peter Harte and pick the rest of the team after that because if we are going to carry the ball its a waste playing any of them inside.

I hope we don't abandon the experiment yet. Whilst Mattie hasn't shot the lights out this year yet playing inside, we've been saying for a few years now that we need a more physical presence at full forward and it would be rash to give up on it after three poor/average performances.

We should bear in mind that in all three games we were against Ulster opposition where defences were packed. Would any full forward in Ireland have played well v Donegal in those conditions on Saturday night? In my opinion we are capable of beating Ulster teams with last years tactics (as we have proved) however in order to get over the line v Dublin/ Kerry/ Mayo we need something extra and it is against these sides, where forwards get a bit more space, that Mattie in full forward would really add value.

I take you point about him being one of our main men out the field but, as Mickey has said, Mattie will never spend 70 minutes in the full forward line and if he could spend even 20-30 mins in there I think it would help. I would also give Mattie the benefit of the doubt and say that the more games he plays in there the sharper he will get. It must be a few years now since he's had a proper run at full forward for either club or county and it will take time to adjust

Man Marker

Did you see our attempts at trying to kick the ball in, shocking. Its that long since we have kicked ball it looks as if they don't know how to kick it.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Man Marker on March 20, 2017, 01:29:01 PM
Did you see our attempts at trying to kick the ball in, shocking. Its that long since we have kicked ball it looks as if they don't know how to kick it.

100% agree, the balls we are putting in are all wrong. Check out the Cavan and Mayo match yesterday and the Cavan defence put in some perfect ball into their FF line that yielded great dividends. I do realise that Mayo's tactics and the weather contributed to this but long balls into the FF line need a certain trajectory and angle to increase reward. We have been putting in silly floated balls that result in Mattie et al being smashed from behind and been given no chance at all.

teaminamillion

Quote from: hardstation on March 19, 2017, 05:38:17 PM
They've been in Div 2, no sniff of an Ulster title never mind All Ireland.

What has Mattie McGleenan done to get a shot at the job?
thank god Harte didn't get that 2 year extension. That was one close call. Bye bye Parasite.

teaminamillion

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 20, 2017, 03:41:47 PM

100% agree, the balls we are putting in are all wrong. Check out the Cavan and Mayo match yesterday and the Cavan defence put in some perfect ball into their FF line that yielded great dividends. I do realise that Mayo's tactics and the weather contributed to this but long balls into the FF line need a certain trajectory and angle to increase reward. We have been putting in silly floated balls that result in Mattie et al being smashed from behind and been given no chance at all.
Can I forgive the fact Mickey Harte fights with RTE, probably. Can I forgive the fact he fights with the county board? probably. Can I forgive the fact he uses the Tyrone managers job as a political platform? probably. Can I forgive the fact he favours his own clubs' players , family an friends? Probably. What I can't forgive is the fact that he has proven too be an illiterate coach on the training field as you have rightly pointed out in the new found long ball tactics. This tactic should have been done or worked on years ago. Calling Mickey Harte a three time All Ireland winning manager is as relevant as calling me a three time All Ireland winning Tyrone supporter! This type of bluff an bluster means nothing if the stuff isn't been done on the training pitch.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: teaminamillion on March 20, 2017, 05:14:18 PM

Can I forgive the fact Mickey Harte fights with RTE, probably. Can I forgive the fact he fights with the county board? probably. Can I forgive the fact he uses the Tyrone managers job as a political platform? probably. Can I forgive the fact he favours his own clubs' players , family an friends? Probably. What I can't forgive is the fact that he has proven too be an illiterate coach on the training field as you have rightly pointed out in the new found long ball tactics. This tactic should have been done or worked on years ago. Calling Mickey Harte a three time All Ireland winning manager is as relevant as calling me a three time All Ireland winning Tyrone supporter! This type of bluff an bluster means nothing if the stuff isn't been done on the training pitch.

That is accurate comment, which begs the question why is Dan Mc Nulty not on that panel, a natural powerfully built big and mobile full forward who can win ball. He wasn't even asked, so that puts that myth to bed, can't figure it out at all

tothetop03

for the £200,000 invested in coaching last year in Tyrone never mind the last 8 years.... i expect more than one game plan that does not work against the top handful of teams when push comes to shove....I was asked today would Mickey Harte be evil enough to split this county to get his own way...we all know the answer to that the next 6 months could be interesting....

teaminamillion

The sad things is people in GAA circles across Ireland have shown a real dislike of Tyrone this last number of years. This was no accident. Negativity off the pitch and even more negativity on it, added to that poor attendances at Healy park. It paints a pretty depressing picture. Tyrone need a shot in the arm and to push on. Maybe just maybe we will regain the admiration and respect we gained in the noughties. The question you ask would Mickey be evil enough to split the county? Absolutely he would and Il say that with a straight face.

teaminamillion

Quote from: teaminamillion on March 20, 2017, 05:14:18 PM

Mickey has his big powerful full forward sorted. Its his good friend an neighbour and goes by the name Aidan McCrory. Please don't laugh.

southtyronegael

i said a long time ago on this thread that mickey harte will leave a real mess behind him when he is eventually got rid of and im pretty sure il be right. lets hope for all our sakes he is gone sooner rather than later so we can start cleaning up the mess quicker. i feel he has already done alot of long term damage to players confidence, our footballing culture and the general tyrone brand. get him out.