Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

McAliskey had a good final but I thought he had been quite poor throughout the league prior to this. hopefully he kicks on and has a better championship.

Norf Tyrone

I think this thread illustrates Tyrone's potential weakness. Who is that forward that on a tight day has the class to get us over the line. There are still doubts over O Neill, McCurry, Brennan and McAliskey.

For me Brennan will be closest to that mantle and will be a class act. The other 3 have shown glimpses but now is the time.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

sambostar

Quote from: ose 14 on April 29, 2016, 07:09:10 AM
i beg to disagree re mcaliskey and mccurry. they are both flat track bullies the likes of tipperary and sligo made both of them look good last year. both of them are way too selfish. put a few wonder scores on the board and thats it. mcaliskey plays for himself and mc curry is at best an impact sub. when the chips are down neither of these two have the cahones. i watched mccaliskey two years ago aginst dromore have an unbelievable first 7 minutes kick 4 points albeit wind assisted in the championship. then low and behold red sean was asked to do a wee marking job and the skeet man disappeared as did clonoe. lee breenan and ronan o neill have both shown what a proper natural forward looks like and neither of them lack the round boys. cant have big shawn wee dazzler and skeet in the one line and expect to win ball against the mcgees/mcgrath or the wylies/walsh because ulster will come down to that again. Brennan and o neill for me every time. nice to see positive comments re ronans celebration i suppose when his play cant be criticised haters have to hate something else.
McAliskey is not a flat-track bully - sure he scored 3 points from play in Ballybofey last year in 1st round of the championship

redhandofgod

Team id like to see Vs Derry in championship
1. M. O'Neill
2. HP McGeary
3. R. McNamee
4. C. McCarron
5. R. Brennan
6. Justy McMahon
7. T. McCann
8. C. Cavanagh
9. R. Donnelly
10. M. Donnelly
11. P. Harte
12. C. Myler
13. L. Brennan
14. S. Cavanagh
15. C. McAliskey

blewuporstuffed

I cant see mickey leaving out Aidan Mccrory, and I would say RON is a fair bit ahead of Brennan at the minute.
Richie donnelly likely to start, but at WHF with mattie at 9
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mikhailov

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 29, 2016, 08:47:26 AM
i beg to disagree re mcaliskey and mccurry. they are both flat track bullies the likes of tipperary and sligo made both of them look good last year. both of them are way too selfish. put a few wonder scores on the board and thats it. mcaliskey plays for himself and mc curry is at best an impact sub. when the chips are down neither of these two have the cahones. i watched mccaliskey two years ago aginst dromore have an unbelievable first 7 minutes kick 4 points albeit wind assisted in the championship. then low and behold red sean was asked to do a wee marking job and the skeet man disappeared as did clonoe. lee breenan and ronan o neill have both shown what a proper natural forward looks like and neither of them lack the round boys. cant have big shawn wee dazzler and skeet in the one line and expect to win ball against the mcgees/mcgrath or the wylies/walsh because ulster will come down to that again. Brennan and o neill for me every time. nice to see positive comments re ronans celebration i suppose when his play cant be criticised haters have to hate something else.

McAliskey is a superb ball winner. Bit of irony in you castigating haters while doing the same against McAliskey and McCurry who have pedigree at Championship level.

Possibly have displayed it in the back door against shite teams but both have yet to do it in the Ulster SFC - the real test for a quality forward is to produce for 3 games in a row in Ulster and take us to a title - don't count any of that back door stuff as a test of character !! Mugsy, Stevie O Neill, Canavan would have converted all the chances we got V Kerry last year and we would have possibly won another sam. Instead we had no killer instinct when it counted and mattered most and missed a host of goal chances which proved costly!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Mikhailov on April 29, 2016, 01:41:38 PM

McAliskey is a superb ball winner. Bit of irony in you castigating haters while doing the same against McAliskey and McCurry who have pedigree at Championship level.

Possibly have displayed it in the back door against shite teams but both have yet to do it in the Ulster SFC - the real test for a quality forward is to produce for 3 games in a row in Ulster and take us to a title - don't count any of that back door stuff as a test of character !! Mugsy, Stevie O Neill, Canavan would have converted all the chances we got V Kerry last year and we would have possibly won another sam. Instead we had no killer instinct when it counted and mattered most and missed a host of goal chances which proved costly!

Not really, as was pointed out earlier McAliskey was superb against Donegal in the first round of Ulster last year, scoring three great points in difficult surroundings. McCurry destroyed Ryan Wylie who was hotly tipped for an All Star at the time in an AI QF, both are young enough guys, McCurry turns 23 this year and McAliskey 25.

When it comes to pedigree at the minute, both McAliskey and McCurry are streets ahead of both O'Neill and Brennan who have it all to prove. O'Neill has had a decent league campaign and deserves to start ahead of an out of sorts McCurry against Derry. However O'Neill will have to improve an awful lot to keep his place, he has shown progress this spring but he needs to continue that trend.

Brennan, while he looks a massive talent is completely untested at senior level and like O'Neill has it all to prove.

EastTyrone

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 29, 2016, 01:56:23 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on April 29, 2016, 01:41:38 PM

Not really, as was pointed out earlier McAliskey was superb against Donegal in the first round of Ulster last year, scoring three great points in difficult surroundings. McCurry destroyed Ryan Wylie who was hotly tipped for an All Star at the time in an AI QF, both are young enough guys, McCurry turns 23 this year and McAliskey 25.

When it comes to pedigree at the minute, both McAliskey and McCurry are streets ahead of both O'Neill and Brennan who have it all to prove. O'Neill has had a decent league campaign and deserves to start ahead of an out of sorts McCurry against Derry. However O'Neill will have to improve an awful lot to keep his place, he has shown progress this spring but he needs to continue that trend.

Brennan, while he looks a massive talent is completely untested at senior level and like O'Neill has it all to prove.

I agree with a lot of this but I do feel McCurry is just not at it. He did destroy Ryan Wylie last year with a series of solo dummies. But this seems like all he is capable of. He has speed but he will not take someone on. He will win the ball and first thought is stop and dummy. Skeet and O'Neill in form at the moment and have to start - even with that celebration, which was woeful, he has to be there.

Fuzzman

I agree Il Bomber. McCurry and Skeet might are no Michael Murphy or Diarmuid Connolly but they have been two of our top scoring forward the last 3 or 4 years. Both tend to have good days and then go missing at times but we were spoiled years ago with players like Mugsy, SoN and PTG.
I've only saw Lee Brennan a few times playing for the senior team and he's not really got going. He looks small and stocky and will probably need time to step up to this level but I am excited by what he can do this year. Was it 3.08 he scored for his club last time out?
Ronan O'Neill seems to have become the new Coney. We all know he's got loads of talent but there are a lot of Tyrone fans out there who don't think he's got the bottle. I was very pleased with the confidence he had to take his goal so well last Sunday as most would have been happy with a point. It show's his belief in himself and if he can keep scoring frees at a reasonable range then that would be a HUGE thing for Tyrone.
I really wish we would have a more definite plan for frees in that if it was too far out or a tight angle they would just take it short quickly rather than demoralising the whole team and fans by trying to score no matter what.

On another note, was chatting to a lad from Edendork last Sunday who was telling me Morgan is in awesome form outfield for them. He was saying he's quite a quiet lad off the pitch but people think he's arrogant on the pitch.

Sean Cavanagh is 33 now I think. Who would be the next oldest not including Joey?

omagh_gael

Aiden McCrory, Cathal McCarron, Colm Cavaghan and Justy McMahon in and around late twenties.

nrico2006

I don't think McCurry or McAliskey will really count in the big games against the top teams to be honest.  The comparison between Coney and O'Neill is there to be made, but I think that the big thing that is against both of them is their lack of speed, which in general is a problem with our forward options at the minute.  None of our forwards have seem to have the ability to take a man on and I am hoping Brennan develops into that player for us but at the minute he doesn't seem ready for it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 29, 2016, 03:04:35 PM
I don't think McCurry or McAliskey will really count in the big games against the top teams to be honest.  The comparison between Coney and O'Neill is there to be made, but I think that the big thing that is against both of them is their lack of speed, which in general is a problem with our forward options at the minute.  None of our forwards have seem to have the ability to take a man on and I am hoping Brennan develops into that player for us but at the minute he doesn't seem ready for it.

From what I've seen of Ronan O'Neill I'd say he is one of the fastest players in the county.

bigpackiechestout

A lot of people on here backing McCurry on the basis he 'destroyed' Ryan Wylie last year - no doubting McCurry had a good game that day but he only got two points from play and I remember he still hit a few wides. Although this is probably his standout display in Championship football so far I wouldn't describe him as outstanding that day. Realistically McCurry's form has been patchy for a year and a half now - remember he lost his place for a few of the Qualifiers last year and his misses arguably cost us wins against Donegal and Kerry. As has been said he only turns 23 this year so has plenty of time to come good yet but I probably would have expected a bit more from him before now considering some of his earlier displays, eg. when he destroyed Mayo in Omagh in the 2014 league, think he hit 2-4 from play that day.

square_ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 29, 2016, 02:36:31 PM

On another note, was chatting to a lad from Edendork last Sunday who was telling me Morgan is in awesome form outfield for them. He was saying he's quite a quiet lad off the pitch but people think he's arrogant on the pitch.

He got injured in the first league game so he must have been pretty awesome in that short period he was playing!

Bring back club football

Jaysus oh.