Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on November 13, 2015, 11:24:25 AM
Young Munroe was excellent against us last week, worth a call up. However when he was at full back he never won a ball off Mc Nulty, he was then moved to the middle where he excelled.
You sure about that?? By my reckoning Monroe won 3 out of 5 balls that went in between them.

The Golden Years

Quote from: gaafan2 on November 13, 2015, 11:43:12 AM
Quote from: The Golden Years on November 13, 2015, 11:09:07 AM
Quote from: gaafan2 on November 13, 2015, 10:33:18 AM
Quote from: The Golden Years on November 13, 2015, 09:54:42 AM
Quote from: gaafan2 on November 13, 2015, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: Tyrone95 on November 12, 2015, 11:16:08 PM
Quote from: gaafan2 on November 12, 2015, 10:30:35 PM
Quote from: The Golden Years on November 12, 2015, 04:03:47 PM
Quote from: tv pundit on November 12, 2015, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: gaafan2 on November 12, 2015, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: GaelTheGael on November 12, 2015, 12:58:38 PM
I heard Johnny Munroe from Carrickmore has been called up to the senior panel after the league final on Sunday.
Any word on anyone else getting called up?

Don't think he's strong enough or good enough for county football.
I think he is good enough
For someone to think that johnny munroe is not good enough or strong enough to play county football is ridiculous.  You havent seen him play much this year? Carrickmores best player by a long way (i know some of the smart assed knowledgeable people in this might say 'that wouldnt be hard').  I would have him on may team everyday day of the week over Aidan McCrory.

Your looking through your carrickmore tinted glasses. I don't think it's ridiculous to say he's not good enough. As the previous poster stated, there's quite a few men who are more worthy of a call up. He never stood out as a future tyrone senior whilst playing for minors or u21s.

Would you consider any of you're Greencastle men worthy of a Tyrone trial at the minute? That is if you can get them out of Eddie McCullaghs!

No I don't consider any of our men good enough at the moment and never have I made the suggestion! Carrickmore men are taking great offence at my opinion on Monroe. Like it or not, there's at least 6/7 men in the county who I believe are ahead of Monroe.

Dont think anybody is taking offence but just stating how highly rated he is within the club and that he is certainly deserving of a place in the county squad. Having watched Johnny and other established county stars down the years within our club, i think he has the potential to be as good any of the lads that have wore the county jersey from our club. This is my opinion. Can you name the 6/7 men you reckon are ahead of him as a matter of interest?

Its understandable your going to defend your club colleague but it doesn't mean that your right. Everybody's entitled to have an opinion and that's mine. I would count Michael Cassidy, Ruairi Mullan, Kieran McGeary, Dwayne Quinn, Padraig Hampsey, Ruairi Kelly and Niall Sludden all ahead of him for a spot in the defence.

Can i asked on what basis are you basing your opinion on that these fellas are ahead of Johnny? I am not doubting that these lads are good footballers but after watching a lot of club football this year and seeing most of these lads play I rate johnny better than most if not all.  I know you think i am looking at this through rose tinted glasses but believe me, this is not an opinion just based on my club loyalties.

I'm not the only one that thinks these 7 lads are capable of playing county football, there's a broad consensus that they should and will be called up. Four of the lads I mentioned starred in defence on the Tyrone U21 All Ireland winning side this year. Ruairi Kelly was a used substitute on the same side and has put in some great performances for Trillick at full back on their way to an Ulster semi final. Both Quinn and Sludden have played on O'Neill cup winning sides recently and are considered by many as mainstays of their respective team. I must admit I've only seen Monroe play twice this year but on both occasions he didn't stand out as county standard. If we're going to be serious about challenging for an All Ireland I'm afraid Monroe is not the answer.

And i am not the only one who things Johnny deserves his chance and these people are basing their opinion on more watching him in more than 2 games!!   I am not saying that johnny is ready to come in and get a starting slot straight away.  His potential is huge and with a bit more experience and strength and conditional coaching he could be an automatic starter in a few years.  He is also a main stay on the carrickmore team.  (At least he ticks one box of your selection criteria)

superstar_

Quote from: LeoMc on November 13, 2015, 07:57:21 AM
Quote from: superstar_ on November 12, 2015, 09:44:58 PM
Johnny Munroe probably is good enough player to make the squad but cant see an obvious role for him in the first team or off the bench, but this time last year i would have said something similiar about Rory Brennan, Conall McCann and Richie Donnelly when they were called up, so i will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Niall Sludden is bound to get a call up and hopefully Dwayne Quinn and PJ Laverty are brought back into the fold.
Kieran McGeary, Ruairi Mullan, Paudy Hampsey and Kieran McLaughlin also deserve the call up, although unfortunately cant see Hampsey getting the opportunity in the next two years anyway....

Quote from: Gaffer on November 12, 2015, 11:50:35 PM
Hampsey called up by Harte. 
Good to see Hampsey called up, very impressive year for Under 21s and Coalisland. Has the potential there to dislodge Aidan McCrory from corner back.

nrico2006

Quote from: superstar_ on November 13, 2015, 01:41:13 PM
Johnny Munroe probably is good enough player to make the squad but cant see an obvious role for him in the first team or off the bench, but this time last year i would have said something similiar about Rory Brennan, Conall McCann and Richie Donnelly when they were called up, so i will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Niall Sludden is bound to get a call up and hopefully Dwayne Quinn and PJ Laverty are brought back into the fold.
Kieran McGeary, Ruairi Mullan, Paudy Hampsey and Kieran McLaughlin also deserve the call up, although unfortunately cant see Hampsey getting the opportunity in the next two years anyway....

Good to see Hampsey called up, very impressive year for Under 21s and Coalisland. Has the potential there to dislodge Aidan McCrory from corner back.

What about full-back?  Is he good enough?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

superstar_

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 13, 2015, 01:42:47 PM

I would say McNamee has full back nailed down at this stage.
Morgan
Hampsey McNammee McCarron
Brennan Justin McMahon Harte
That would be the defence I would like to see against Derry first round of the championship.

time ticking away

Quote from: superstar_ on November 13, 2015, 02:08:08 PM

Morgan
That would be the defence I would like to see against Derry first round of the championship.
Ronan Mc Nabb ???
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Club Rossa

Will McNabb be ready in time for the Derry game?

redhandefender

Morgan

That's a good shout

Colm Cav  Donnelly

Mc Cann Bradley Meyler

Brennan  Sean Cav  ?

Pace to burn!

smort

McCurry or Skeet, whoevers on form in training

superstar_

Quote from: time ticking away on November 13, 2015, 02:27:48 PM

Morgan
Ronan Mc Nabb ???
I assumed McNabb wouldn't be back in time for Derry. If he's available straight swap with Brennan or Justy depending on his fitness.

TF15

Lee Brennan is an exceptional talent but its hard to put him above Skeet or McCurry yet. Needs to prove his worth first. Until he does I'd have the aforementioned two ahead of him. This year also probably is a sh1t or bust year for Ronan O'Neill, needs probably the best winter of his life to get in the condition required. Would love to see him do it as hes a fella who loves the big occasion and has star quality, but in 2015 you need the physical attributes to match.

superstar_

Quote from: redhandefender on November 13, 2015, 02:36:02 PM

Morgan

That's a good shout

Colm Cav  Donnelly

Mc Cann Bradley Meyler

Brennan  Sean Cav  ?

Pace to burn!
Morgan
Brennan/McNabb Justy Peter Harte
Colm Cavanagh Mattie Donnelly
Tiernan McCann Mark Bradley Kieran McGeary/Meyler
Brennan Sean Cavanagh McCurry
Hardest selection for me is at wing half forward, I'd probably side with McGeary, think he's a class act all round and would contribute to the defensive side of things to.

Goals_Will_Come

I heard Johnny Munroe from Carrickmore has been called up to the senior panel after the league final on Sunday.

For someone to think that johnny munroe is not good enough or strong enough to play county football is ridiculous.  You havent seen him play much this year? Carrickmores best player by a long way (i know some of the smart assed knowledgeable people in this might say 'that wouldnt be hard').  I would have him on may team everyday day of the week over Aidan McCrory.

Your looking through your carrickmore tinted glasses. I don't think it's ridiculous to say he's not good enough. As the previous poster stated, there's quite a few men who are more worthy of a call up. He never stood out as a future tyrone senior whilst playing for minors or u21s.

Would you consider any of you're Greencastle men worthy of a Tyrone trial at the minute? That is if you can get them out of Eddie McCullaghs!
Cahir McCullagh?

GaelTheGael

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on November 13, 2015, 02:45:56 PM

Cahir McCullagh?
Seen him a few times this year, as good a forward as i saw all year and would be well worth his place on the senior panel, but would he commit is the question?

redhandefender

Quote from: TF15 on November 13, 2015, 02:42:22 PM
Lee Brennan is an exceptional talent but its hard to put him above Skeet or McCurry yet. Needs to prove his worth first. Until he does I'd have the aforementioned two ahead of him. This year also probably is a sh1t or bust year for Ronan O'Neill, needs probably the best winter of his life to get in the condition required. Would love to see him do it as hes a fella who loves the big occasion and has star quality, but in 2015 you need the physical attributes to match.

Both had had countless chances to take the bull by the horn and nail down their places. Unfortunately I don't see options to replace them both. Mc caliskey goes from the sublime to the truly awful and mc curry cracks under pressure. Brennan is ready to go now and should get a big run in the league then decide if hes ready for championship heat or not!