Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leftmidfield

Quote from: LosDodgers on March 25, 2024, 02:39:19 AMNeed to win next week and then hope Louth get to Leinster final which is not unlikely. Then Down will get the final All Ireland spot.

Think this team needs to be playing in All Ireland series as that's the next step in their development and will help when it comes to next seasons league.

Thoughts todays performance was excellent, very strong all round the field, made much better decisions in final third instead of playing that extra pass that we are sometimes guilty of.

Disappointing for John McGovern was the only real negative for today but I am sure we will see more of him come championship.

What was the reasoning behind the substitution of John McGovern ? Was it solely down to his performance + black card ? He couldn't have been on the field of play for more than 15 mins so hard to make an impact in that space of time. I also see he took a knock to the head in his first involvement.

outinfront

I would think Laverty didn't want any risk of going down to 14 men permanently.  James Guinness was also subbed as was on a yellow following a ridiculous booking.

snoopdog

Yeah McGovern came on for Guinness because of his early yellow. Then McGovern got black carded for trying to trip a clare player. Deserved to ve taken off for that alone. He put his team under pressure for a silly decision. I'm sure he will learn from that.

ardtole

I thought the black card was very harsh, McGovern busted a gut to get back, I thought the westmeath man cut across him, there was a bit of a tangle alright, and if the referee had to have awarded the free against McGovern, it would have been sufficient in my opinion.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2024, 12:25:57 PMYeah McGovern came on for Guinness because of his early yellow. Then McGovern got black carded for trying to trip a clare player. Deserved to ve taken off for that alone. He put his team under pressure for a silly decision. I'm sure he will learn from that.

Seemed a harsh call by the ref, as did Guinness' yellow card. The ref made some questionable decisions throughout the game, and doesn't seem like a ref who could handle a full tilt championship match anymore.

Laverty was taking no chances on players who had been carded, all were taken off soon after receiving their cards. It didn't negatively impact the performance on this occasion so good calls by the management.

Dayman

Quote from: Leftmidfield on March 25, 2024, 11:41:55 AMWhat was the reasoning behind the substitution of John McGovern ? Was it solely down to his performance + black card ? He couldn't have been on the field of play for more than 15 mins so hard to make an impact in that space of time. I also see he took a knock to the head in his first involvement.

We were standing in front of him when he got that hit, he got hit hard and looked very woozy directly afterwards. I understand the player wanting to play on but from where I was it didn't look like he should be. Probably shouldn't have been back on after the black card.

Truth hurts

A senior and minor league final, promotion to division 2, and a draw in the u20 versus Tyrone are all huge boosts for Down football. The last time a minor team made a final of any description was in 2009.

LosDodgers

McGovern was unlucky, black card was harsh and stopped him from having a chance to really get into the game.

The second full forward position is defs up for grabs. Savage got a run at the start and then James Guinness but neither really grabbed the jersey. I thought Gilmore or Conor McCrickard would have got more game time but hasn't happened. Not sure how far away Barry O'Hagan is but defs an opportunity for someone to make their mark there so it could still well be McGovern.

Only other potential change I would want is O'Hare hitting 45s! Surely we have an alternative? Missed 3 and one of which was way out in the sideline...should not be taking that shot on, it's such a low percentage shot, if an outfield player took that shot he would probs be whipped straight off yet we allow our keeper to do it (and he ain't exactly Began, Morgan, Cluxton etc from 45s).

AnDúnAbú94

Quote from: LosDodgers on March 25, 2024, 05:49:32 PMMcGovern was unlucky, black card was harsh and stopped him from having a chance to really get into the game.

The second full forward position is defs up for grabs. Savage got a run at the start and then James Guinness but neither really grabbed the jersey. I thought Gilmore or Conor McCrickard would have got more game time but hasn't happened. Not sure how far away Barry O'Hagan is but defs an opportunity for someone to make their mark there so it could still well be McGovern.

Only other potential change I would want is O'Hare hitting 45s! Surely we have an alternative? Missed 3 and one of which was way out in the sideline...should not be taking that shot on, it's such a low percentage shot, if an outfield player took that shot he would probs be whipped straight off yet we allow our keeper to do it (and he ain't exactly Began, Morgan, Cluxton etc from 45s).

In fairness, I think O'Hare has been pretty accurate from 45s this year before Sunday. I wouldn't be rushing to make a change after one bad day. Not sure who else would hit them anyway.

snoopdog

Quote from: AnDúnAbú94 on March 26, 2024, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: LosDodgers on March 25, 2024, 05:49:32 PMMcGovern was unlucky, black card was harsh and stopped him from having a chance to really get into the game.

In fairness, I think O'Hare has been pretty accurate from 45s this year before Sunday. I wouldn't be rushing to make a change after one bad day. Not sure who else would hit them anyway.
2 of the 3 45s he took were way out on his left practically on the sideline

Splash

Quote from: johnnycool on March 24, 2024, 01:52:56 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on March 24, 2024, 09:26:19 AM
Quote from: Splash on March 23, 2024, 11:41:13 AMGood luck to the Down hurlers in Portlaoise today. 70 minutes away from Division One hurling next year.

Good to see Paul Sheehan named to start. Great that he's stuck around for another year. Strong looking bench, too, which is great to see.

Down went toe to toe with Laois when they met in the first round of the league, until Laois won it right at the end. If Down can produce a similar performance, there's every chance they come out on top today.

One area I think Down have struggled in this year is they have simply been giving away too many frees. Hopefully we see minimal frees, and 15 men staying on the field.

Pressure will very much be on Laois today. Laois will feel like they need to be in Division One, and don't think many people will be giving Down much of a chance. Could give Down the opportunity to play a good brand of free flowing hurling, and sure then, who knows?

Down have really come a long way in the past couple years. Couldn't get out of Division 2B for ten years, and now they're playing their second Divison 2A promotion deciders in 3 years. It's been great to see. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Also, good luck to Glenn today with the opening of their new facilities and their match against Slaughtneil. Always good to see good facilities in the county, and Glenn look like a club with great potential.

Glenn had a bit of a hurling team back years and years ago. Who knows, maybe the Slaughtneil lads will bring the hurls and reignite a bit of interest in stick-ball about the place  :P

In the end, Laois won handily enough - and, indeed, wasted quite a few chances, too. Down had a good start, and were leading for, I dunno, the first ten or fifteen minutes, but Laois hit their stride and were clear at half-time. A goal early in the second half killed it off. Down seemed to get tired, and could barely score with the wind. In fact, they scored more against it in the first half. There was one great point from one of the wing backs late on, who stormed up the field, and put it over from about 50 out. Other than that, Laois seemed crisper and cuter in their hurling, and a little bit fitter.
One thing I did notice - not all the Down team are from Ards anymore. Has the game spread a bit in the county?

Yes, and for the better.

The idea to have 5/6 teams in the club senior championship is paying off IMO and long may it continue even further.

Disappointing in the end. Started well and then unfortunately Laois took over. Purcell's goal really killed the game for Down.

Ah well.

Was a very encouraging league campaign. Were very competitive and came close to promotion. Next year Down will probably be favourites to win Div 2A unless Kerry or Kildare surpass us. Definitely going in The right direction. Tim Prenter been player of the league imo.

Time to now start focusing on the Joe McDonagh Cup. Arguably looking like a tougher campaign than the league. Will get another crack at Laois, but will also have to face Offaly and Westmeath, who have been no push overs in Division One this year.

Think Downs first game is at home to Meath which will be a must win game. Would be great to see Down reach the final and compete in the All Ireland series.

Great to see Antrim staying up, but would have loved to have got a crack at them this year. Think based on form, Down have been the best hurling team in Ulster so far this year.

Sheehan has done a great job of brining in players from other clubs. Have had players from Liatroim, Bredagh, Carryduff, Newry, Ballela, Clonduff, and Castlewellen in recent years. The expansion of the senior championship has been great.

Hopefully see a couple more clubs fielding hurling teams in the next couple years- can only do good for Down hurling.

The Ards clubs have done tremendous work for the hurling culture of Down over the past 50 years, but if Down are to take the next step, we need to grow hurling across the county.

Great to see the footballers coming back up to Division Two, and a day out to Croke Park at the weekend. Hopefully the good times keep on coming.

LosDodgers

Quote from: snoopdog on March 26, 2024, 08:28:48 PM
Quote from: AnDúnAbú94 on March 26, 2024, 05:28:35 PM

2 of the 3 45s he took were way out on his left practically on the sideline

That would be my issue! 2 of them where very low percentage shots, we should be working them into a more Scot able position since we don't have an elite free taker.

Johnnysboys

Any report from U20 footy game tonight folks?? I heard the result just..