The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 05:20:04 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 04:14:21 PM
He comes across as very sharp at those White House press briefings. Not pleasant or nice but sharp nonetheless. Like when he asked the Hong Kong paper lady this week did she work for China. And she did.
sharp?

Sweet lord, your standards are low, but compared to Pence he's a rocket scientist.

Look at the exchange with the Hong Kong paper journo. He played her like a banjo.

There is absolutely no doubt that he is the master of bluster and bullshit and can make things up as he goes along, often contradicting what he said five minutes earlier.

Now if he had to study up and think of honest, considered answers, he might appear a little different.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on April 09, 2020, 05:27:24 PM
Joe Biden cannot from a Democrat point of view debate trump in a live televised event he can't put 2 sentences together without getting lost ,how the Democrats accomplish that will be another thing . I don't think trump has dementia but Biden has something even after events when he is being led to a vehicle to leave he really looks like he has no clue where he is or what's going on.

Have you ever heard Trump trying to speak?

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 09, 2020, 09:16:38 PM
Joe Biden cannot from a Democrat point of view debate trump in a live televised event he can't put 2 sentences together without getting lost ,how the Democrats accomplish that will be another thing . I don't think trump has dementia but Biden has something even after events when he is being led to a vehicle to leave he really looks like he has no clue where he is or what's going on.

do you think joe can hold up in a debate against trump ?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on April 09, 2020, 10:18:28 PM

Do you answer every question with a question?

But to answer yours, I think Biden would give Trump a hiding in a debate like he did with Paul Ryan in the VP debate way back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CptqDRfn_-M

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 09, 2020, 11:00:23 PM

But to answer yours, I think Biden would give Trump a hiding in a debate like he did with Paul Ryan in the VP debate way back.

Joe is a very good debater and I think he would hold his own against Trump

Gmac

Quote from: whitey on April 10, 2020, 12:17:32 AM

Joe is a very good debater and I think he would hold his own against Trump

8 years is a long time ago joe is a different person now unfortunately.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2020, 03:02:14 PM
Heroes of the Pandumbic
https://twitter.com/i/status/1247595781806268418

There has never been, and hopefully never again will be, an administration like this, where the main qualification and audition for a job is to shamelessly lie and debase yourself at the feet of the Dear Leader, especially if on tv.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 10, 2020, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2020, 03:02:14 PM
Heroes of the Pandumbic
https://twitter.com/i/status/1247595781806268418

There has never been, and hopefully never again will be, an administration like this, where the main qualification and audition for a job is to shamelessly lie and debase yourself at the feet of the Dear Leader, especially if on tv.

So as a resident of New York, why are you directing your ire towards Trump and not where it belongs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/champ.gothamist.com/champ/gothamist/news/missteps-mayor-bill-de-blasios-coronavirus-response

omochain

Whitey... you are the king of "false equivalency"..

whitey

Quote from: omochain on April 10, 2020, 05:00:14 PM
Whitey... you are the king of "false equivalency"..

So you think DeBlasio didn't contribute to the tragedy unfolding in NYC?

J70

Indeed omochain.

DeBlasio is not a great mayor by any stretch, and he, in retrospect, appears to have been listening to the wrong advice as we got into the second week of March. I would add he is one of a many, many politicians across the planet who did the same. Gavin Newsome and Mike DeWine were not typical. Just last week, that idiotic California Congressman Devin Nunes (one of the arch Trump toadies) had the nerve to criticise Newsome to shutting down the schools.

What any of that has to do with Trump stacking his administration (when he does actually bother staffing important positions and committees) with unqualified, sycophantic right wing news talking heads, I'm not sure.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 10, 2020, 05:25:02 PM
Indeed omochain.

DeBlasio is not a great mayor by any stretch, and he, in retrospect, appears to have been listening to the wrong advice as we got into the second week of March. I would add he is one of a many, many politicians across the planet who did the same. Gavin Newsome and Mike DeWine were not typical. Just last week, that idiotic California Congressman Devin Nunes (one of the arch Trump toadies) had the nerve to criticise Newsome to shutting down the schools.

What any of that has to do with Trump stacking his administration (when he does actually bother staffing important positions and committees) with unqualified, sycophantic right wing news talking heads, I'm not sure.

You do realize the tweet you replied to was described as "Hero's of the Pandumbic" by armaghniac ???

Would DeBlasio not fall into that category?

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 10, 2020, 05:30:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 10, 2020, 05:25:02 PM
Indeed omochain.

You do realize the tweet you replied to was described as "Hero's of the Pandumbic" by armaghniac ???

Would DeBlasio not fall into that category?

Possibly. I was pretty scathing of DeBlasio myself in the lead-up to the school shutdown when the writing was well on the wall with events in Italy. Before that I would give him some benefit of the doubt as it was not at all clear how things could proceed, but I may be being generous in that.

But in this post I was responding to McAneney or whatever her name is, as generally typifying the type of unqualified sycophant that Trump hires to work in the government, as opposed to the specific vacuous bullshit she was spewing in that particular clip.

whitey

Apologies for the long post but the commentary is behind a firewall

Russian Disinformation Fed the FBI's Trump Investigation
Some answers and some new questions from newly declassified parts of an inspector general's report.
By Ron Johnson
April 10, 2020 4:02 pm ET
SAVE
TEXT

The FBI crest outside the J. Edgar Hoover Building in Washington, March 12, 2019.
PHOTO: LEAH MILLIS/REUTERS
Declassified footnotes to a Justice Department inspector general report show that the Federal Bureau of Investigation team investigating members of the Trump campaign received classified reports in 2017 identifying key pieces of the Steele dossier as products of a Russian disinformation campaign. This might be only the tip of the iceberg because other recently declassified information demonstrates that even more disinformation may have been planted in Christopher Steele's reporting.

Let that sink in. The FBI knew that at least some of its evidence against the Trump campaign, and maybe more, was likely part of a Russian disinformation campaign—evidence from a source that was "central and essential" for getting the first FISA warrant. It isn't clear what if anything the FBI did to determine whether their investigation was based in substantial part on Russian disinformation.

Yet the FBI assistant director in charge of the investigation, Bill Priestap, told the inspector general that as of May 2017 (when Robert Mueller took over as special counsel), the FBI "didn't have any indication whatsoever" that their evidence was part of a Russian disinformation campaign.

I first learned all this in late December 2019, when a member of my staff reviewed the classified version of the inspector general's report and asked me to meet him in a secure room under the Capitol. As he walked me through the four footnotes, my immediate reaction was that the American people needed to know this information as soon as possible. My colleague Sen. Chuck Grassley and I began pressing Attorney General William Barr, and eventually acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell, for full declassification of these footnotes. That's why they're now public.

The FBI team's handling of these intelligence reports seems consistent with how it ran the entire investigation. From the opening of the investigation, the FBI team kept accumulating exculpatory information. Yet rather than wind the investigation down, they ramped it up. Minimally intrusive open-source searches became Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrants and confidential human sources targeting campaign staffers.

Then it got worse. The FBI team excluded exculpatory information from its FISA application; it ignored exculpatory evidence provided by another U.S. government agency; and, when that later became an issue, an FBI attorney doctored an email to cover it up. Given all that, it's not surprising that the FBI, on learning their evidence was the product of a Russian disinformation campaign, simply shrugged it off.

As Mr. Grassley and I wrote in our declassification request to Mr. Barr, these footnotes provide "insight essential for an accurate evaluation of the entire investigation." Consider these questions:

• Why did former FBI Director James Comey and former FBI general counsel James Baker refuse to have their security clearances reinstated before they were interviewed by the inspector general? Was it so they wouldn't have to explain this information?

• Which members of the FBI team reviewed these reports? Did Lisa Page and Peter Strzok, who referred to the opening of the investigation as an "insurance policy"? Did the FBI attorney who doctored the email? Did Mr. Mueller?

• What, if anything, did the FBI do to follow up on these reports?

• Did the FBI team have access to other reports like this?

• Is this another example of the FBI team's sloppiness, or is it sufficient to show their ignorance was willful?

The Steele dossier already ranks as one of the dirtiest political tricks of all time. The Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton campaign paid for it, laundered it through friends and allies in the Justice and State departments, and spun it into a full-blown FBI investigation of her political rival. Then, after Donald Trump was elected, it was used as a political cudgel to bludgeon his administration and set up an 18-month special counsel investigation. Now it's been revealed the FBI had evidence that it was based in substantial part on a Russian disinformation campaign.

Last month, my committee's vote to obtain a subpoena for Andrii Telizhenko—a former Ukrainian diplomat who later worked for a U.S. Democratic political consulting firm—was delayed because of last-minute concern that information he might provide could be part of Russian disinformation (a cloak-and-dagger operation to derail that subpoena also needs to be revealed). So I've heard a lot of concern and outrage from my colleagues across the aisle about the perils of "foreign interference" and the need to steer well clear of anything remotely suggestive of Russian disinformation.

Clearly, the FBI did not exhibit similar concern and act accordingly. It also will be interesting to see how many of my Democratic colleagues will join tenacious oversight efforts to determine how the FBI misused actual Russian disinformation.

Mr. Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, is chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.