Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 30, 2020, 04:49:28 PM
Bull in a China Shop.

A great player does not always a great manager make. Well if he has left hopefully that will help the lads in there some how

Look-Up!

Well done to the team last night. Fantastic fight back. Great to see some new faces standing up and grabbing a game by the neck. Hopefully the start of things. Great to see a bit of drive in the middle of the field also.

Itchy

Quote from: Itchy on January 30, 2020, 06:31:31 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 30, 2020, 04:49:28 PM
Bull in a China Shop.

A great player does not always a great manager make. Well if he has left hopefully that will help the lads in there some how

Great 2nd half last night, fair play to Thomas Galligan and Holla especially.  Rumours of Dermos demise greatly exaggerated judging by the fact he was on the field longer than some of the players

Westside

Missed last night, raging. Anyone post a decent report? What was so bad about our first half? Is discipline as bad as it seems? Who drove on the comeback?

Itchy

What was so bad about 1st half. Well Westmeath got 15 behind the ball, we just kept walking up to  them, no pace and eventually giving it back to them when under very little pressure. Some of the execution of basic skills was atrocious, hopping the ball, short handpasses, solos and kick passes were all going astray and westmeath were getting scores. A pivotal thing was westmeath having a two on 1 for a goal, the ball was flipped over the last defender and the westmeath forward tried to palm it in but Ray made an unreal save, the rebound fell on the ground and Ray dived full length and had his two hands on the ball, almost on the line. Westmeath forward kicked it in but was given as a foul as Rays hands were on it. I reckon that wouldve put them 8 ahead.

In 2nd half Benjamin Kelly and Stephen Smith who were both poor (although they were no where near alone in that) and Thomas Galligan and Stephen Murray went on. The Dynamic changed instantly as the two boys just drove at westmeath. It was 14 v 14 at this stage and within maybe 8 minutes we were level with some really good scores. Then their black card came back on and they introduced a flyer of a sub (loughlin I think) and withing about 5/6 minutes they had 1-2 scored. But we kept at it, Holla was brilliant the whole match, think he got 4 from play. By the time we were level they had Heslin sent off, there was 6 mins of injury time and we were all over their kick out. The goal was odd.Conroy was coming in from an angle, everyone was shouting to fist it over but instead he shimmied past the last defender and nearly ran over the end line, he fisted it low across the box and it looked like it hit the keeper and went in. We played 4 mins more of keep ball and that was that.

Holla, Thomas Galligan, Stephen Murray and Faulkner in 2nd half were the drivers to a win. Worryingly Gearoid was piss poor for the whole match, ballsed up at least 3 easy points - Something is up with him. Martin Reilly wasnt really effective either, Gerry Smith in 2nd gear. Still lots of improvement possible. Has to be a great moral boost for the young lads though.

Westside

Thanks Itchy. Thomas Galligan seems to make a habit of making an impact as a sub, did the same against Clare and Tipp before as I recall. Looking forward to next weekend now. There's been too many poor performances to expect that to be a turning of the tide but, who knows.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 02, 2020, 09:00:10 PM
Thanks Itchy. Thomas Galligan seems to make a habit of making an impact as a sub, did the same against Clare and Tipp before as I recall. Looking forward to next weekend now. There's been too many poor performances to expect that to be a turning of the tide but, who knows.

Closest game I can remember that was similar was that famous game in Navan under Terry. We were 8 down I think at half time and hopeless and we came out and bet Meath off the field. That time we had most of our top players of course

Look-Up!

We reaped dividends that day too when we went direct. Much stronger panel though with a better balance to it. I think it is a bigger ask of this panel to kick on from the result like that team. But we live in hope.
Laois next weekend away, then home to Down for the U20s the week after and away to Fermanagh after that. That's a few tough ones for the seniors.
Any idea what Down are like. Can't imagine they're too bad. Hopefully we show well in this.

Look-Up!

Tyrone           9/4
Donegal         7/2
Armagh         6/1
Monaghan      6/1
Down             7/1
Derry           15/2
Cavan            8/1
Antrim         20/1
Fermanagh  50/1

Had a quick look on PP. That's the odds on U20 for Ulster. They don't have much between us and Down. Winner to play Donegal/Monaghan.

rodney trotter

Oisin Gallen will be a loss for Donegal U20s, out for a few months. He impressed with their Seniors last year..
Tyrone have a few from last year still eligible, like Darragh Canavan. Quality player.

Cavan U20s form in the pre season competition was erratic,so hard to know what they'll be like.

Itchy

Big blow, Niall Murray out for the rest of the league and probably the whole year. Devastating.

Elsewhere Mackey transferring from castlerahan to mullinalaghta.

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2020, 10:58:12 PM
Big blow, Niall Murray out for the rest of the league and probably the whole year. Devastating.

A loss but hardly devastating.

Westside

Quote from: Cavan19 on February 06, 2020, 09:28:22 PM

Our main freetaker who had finally eased our freetaking woes, one of the most experienced players on the panel reaching his peak, in the context of the number of lads who had already left I would agree it's a devastating blow for the team and Niall himself.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2020, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on February 06, 2020, 09:28:22 PM

Our main freetaker who had finally eased our freetaking woes, one of the most experienced players on the panel reaching his peak, in the context of the number of lads who had already left I would agree it's a devastating blow for the team and Niall himself.

Nobody has died and i doubt many will be losing sleep over it.

Its a blow to the team he was one of the best players last year but they are going to have to move on.