FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Paul McShane seemed to have a good game.  Only one howler that I can remember.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2011, 10:51:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2011, 10:41:45 PM
That was a superb win tonight. Anyone pondering quality at this moment should be hanged for treason. Well done Ireland, and special mention for the greatest attacking player this country has ever produced. I doubt anyone on this forum will live long enough to see his goalscoring record eclipsed.

Lots of balance and perspective there.  ::)

Take Robbie Keane and Shay Given out of that team and it is a poor team. Dunne is huge loss fair enough but our problem is two central midfielders who cannot string successive passes together. They are hackers. Add in two weak full backs, if Dunne is missing - no centre backs and you have a poor team.
while not Argentina or Barcelona, I cannot agree with that Muppet.

Given superb, Keane while infuriating for missing the simple chances can score and create.
Dunne now a great player but was once a liability. None of them are irreplaceable.
O'Shea was a superb centre back when young but man u ruined him for that by using him as a utility player. Can do a job for Ireland again. Unlike many, I like the raw O'Dea. St Ledget, Clarke and a whose of others to play at either full back position mean Ireland have a good amount of talent to draw from.
Same for the midfield and even now with new found strikers like Best, Walters and Cox to go along with Long and Doyle

the yonger players now depend on Trap to give them their chance. Mickey Harte like , Trap is not bringing on a few more when he should -though last nights game v Italy changed that a bit, by default I suspect rather than design !

I really think that ths is the best squad Ireland have had since 2002. Plenty of teams have proven that you dont need every player to be outstanding in order to do reasonably well.
even If we dont qualify for the euro 2012, i'd be very hopeful to qualify for the 2014 world cup !

Doogie Browser

Don't like getting carried away either but there does seem to be cover in most positions now which is a good sign.  Coleman & Ward looked great and could push to start in the Autumn if they keep it up.  I just love Tardelli's enthusiasm, he is a great asset to the group.

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 08, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2011, 10:51:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2011, 10:41:45 PM
That was a superb win tonight. Anyone pondering quality at this moment should be hanged for treason. Well done Ireland, and special mention for the greatest attacking player this country has ever produced. I doubt anyone on this forum will live long enough to see his goalscoring record eclipsed.

Lots of balance and perspective there.  ::)

Take Robbie Keane and Shay Given out of that team and it is a poor team. Dunne is huge loss fair enough but our problem is two central midfielders who cannot string successive passes together. They are hackers. Add in two weak full backs, if Dunne is missing - no centre backs and you have a poor team.
while not Argentina or Barcelona, I cannot agree with that Muppet.

Given superb, Keane while infuriating for missing the simple chances can score and create.
Dunne now a great player but was once a liability. None of them are irreplaceable.
O'Shea was a superb centre back when young but man u ruined him for that by using him as a utility player. Can do a job for Ireland again. Unlike many, I like the raw O'Dea. St Ledget, Clarke and a whose of others to play at either full back position mean Ireland have a good amount of talent to draw from.
Same for the midfield and even now with new found strikers like Best, Walters and Cox to go along with Long and Doyle

the yonger players now depend on Trap to give them their chance. Mickey Harte like , Trap is not bringing on a few more when he should -though last nights game v Italy changed that a bit, by default I suspect rather than design !

I really think that ths is the best squad Ireland have had since 2002. Plenty of teams have proven that you dont need every player to be outstanding in order to do reasonably well.
even If we dont qualify for the euro 2012, i'd be very hopeful to qualify for the 2014 world cup !

Hang on I'm not predicting the end of football. I'm was just criticising in particular that we have two central midfielders (Gibson appears to be next choice) who can't ever seem to get into a rhythm of stringing passes together and we are short two full backs and one good central defender. Richard Dunne can make up for some of the defensive problems and we may unearth some new talent so things can always improve quickly.

I'm still hopeful for James McCarthy who I think will be a star but I'm not going to go Ole, Ole, Ole after beating Macedonia who are 85th in the FIFA rankings.

But I still believe we are overachieving, even at the moment, due to the manager. As an aside how many goals are we scoring from clever moves at free kicks? I don't recall doing this since Brady used to hit someone running to the near post. Again down to the management I'd say.
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 08, 2011, 09:10:43 AM
For all our faults, it would appear that we are hard to play against and hard to beat, and it looks with each game that it is getting harder to do both/either.  So, isn't that the manager's job done?

Kinda like many of the teams the Big Jack built, the sum being greater than the parts!

Olé, olé, olé, olé, ooooolé, oooolé :P

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 08, 2011, 02:14:04 PM
For all our faults, it would appear that we are hard to play against and hard to beat, and it looks with each game that it is getting harder to do both/either.  So, isn't that the manager's job done?

Kinda like many of the teams the Big Jack built, the sum being greater than the parts!

Irwin, O'Leary, Moran, Lawrenson, Brady, Whelan, McGrath, Stapleton, Aldridge, Houghton, Sheedy, Townsend, Keane etc.

Imagine what Trapp would have made out of that lot.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2011, 02:18:43 PM

Irwin, O'Leary, Moran, Lawrenson, Brady, Whelan, McGrath, Stapleton, Aldridge, Houghton, Sheedy, Townsend, Keane etc.

Well, it might not be a whole lot different to what we're seeing at the moment - Charlton didn't have (or show) the confidence in their ability to play the ball through midfield, so why would Trappatoni be any different?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 08, 2011, 02:22:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2011, 02:18:43 PM

Well, it might not be a whole lot different to what we're seeing at the moment - Charlton didn't have (or show) the confidence in their ability to play the ball through midfield, so why would Trappatoni be any different?

Trapp played Brady for Juventus and wasn't happy when the owners bought Platini and Boniek (only two foreigners allowed at the time).

Jack retired Brady, put McGrath midfield (Lawrenson before that) and picked Mick McCarthy.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

Trap is a football poet laureate compared to Jack's philosophy. To my mind he's doing what he thinks necessary to get the results needed. Not that I think a professional footballer shouldn't be able to control a ball and pass it 15 yards etc but it's obvious what the instructions are.
By the way I do think our options at fullback look better now after the recent games - Foley and Ward are decent players but don't expect them to be like Ashley Cole or Dani Alves and augment the attacking play because their instructions are not to cross the halfway line unless they really have to

Ole, Ole Get the plastic hammers ready!!!

J OGorman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 07, 2011, 09:35:29 PM
they wont do it tonight either - 2-0 now. Cox goal.

Would be great to qualify for a major tournament again

bigtime, qualification to a Euro or World Cup would be brilliant

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2011, 02:00:46 PM
Hang on I'm not predicting the end of football. I'm was just criticising in particular that we have two central midfielders (Gibson appears to be next choice) who can't ever seem to get into a rhythm of stringing passes together and we are short two full backs and one good central defender. Richard Dunne can make up for some of the defensive problems and we may unearth some new talent so things can always improve quickly.

I'm still hopeful for James McCarthy who I think will be a star but I'm not going to go Ole, Ole, Ole after beating Macedonia who are 85th in the FIFA rankings.

But I still believe we are overachieving, even at the moment, due to the manager. As an aside how many goals are we scoring from clever moves at free kicks? I don't recall doing this since Brady used to hit someone running to the near post. Again down to the management I'd say.
laughed at that bit in bold !
Think you are overestimating the quality in international soccer these days !
Barcelona have the average fan ruined. Even brazil are not really brazil anymore (if ya know what I mean!). Macedonia et al are no longer easy to beat. We are still finding our feet and won more comfortably than the 0-2 scoreline imo.
I think we have very good prospects of full backs, decent prospects at centre half and more than enough midfielders/forwards that woud take us to euro and WC finals IF the manager plays the right mix and not the 1-9-1 formation that he seems to like !
its like 'big jack days' all over again !
We beat italy who are no great shakes anymore , but are presumably way higher than us in the rankings - they had 5 of their starting euro qualifier team playing also. I think the signs are good, but they are still only signs and potential !!
yer a miserable hoor !!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Declan on June 08, 2011, 02:36:33 PM
Trap is a football poet laureate compared to Jack's philosophy. To my mind he's doing what he thinks necessary to get the results needed. Not that I think a professional footballer shouldn't be able to control a ball and pass it 15 yards etc but it's obvious what the instructions are.
By the way I do think our options at fullback look better now after the recent games - Foley and Ward are decent players but don't expect them to be like Ashley Cole or Dani Alves and augment the attacking play because their instructions are not to cross the halfway line unless they really have to

Ole, Ole Get the plastic hammers ready!!!

In fairness, I was only trying to rile Elmo there - for me Trapp has a plan, Jack had an anti-plan.  Looking at the setup, it looks likely that our attacking strengths will be wide on both sides (Duff & McGeady, followed by Coleman, Hunt and Lawrence), which depend on the stability of the full-back slots, so it's reasonably positive.  I'd be happier if we were displaying other options through the middle, but I suppose so would Trapp.

Not much talk of Andy Reid now.  I don't see a place for McCarthy in that side at present - certainly not in the middle of the park. 

Declan

QuoteI don't see a place for McCarthy in that side at present - certainly not in the middle of the park

Agreed - not a midfielder per se anyway  - was going to use a few cliches re in the hole or top of the diamond etc but you know what I mean!!

Billys Boots

Yeah, advanced midfielder I suppose, with a target-man who could convert from crosses, and/or run onto short diagonals - that 'might' be Long/Doyle, but it's not Robbie. 

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 08, 2011, 02:41:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2011, 02:00:46 PM

laughed at that bit in bold !
Think you are overestimating the quality in international soccer these days !
Barcelona have the average fan ruined. Even brazil are not really brazil anymore (if ya know what I mean!). Macedonia et al are no longer easy to beat. We are still finding our feet and won more comfortably than the 0-2 scoreline imo.
I think we have very good prospects of full backs, decent prospects at centre half and more than enough midfielders/forwards that woud take us to euro and WC finals IF the manager plays the right mix and not the 1-9-1 formation that he seems to like !
its like 'big jack days' all over again !
We beat italy who are no great shakes anymore , but are presumably way higher than us in the rankings - they had 5 of their starting euro qualifier team playing also. I think the signs are good, but they are still only signs and potential !!
yer a miserable hoor !!

I'm a misunderestimated optimist.
MWWSI 2017